Not Ready to "Shut Up and Sing"

9/13/2006 6:09 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Dixie Chicks: Click to watchNatalie Maines obviously isn't out to make friends with President Bush anytime soon -- expressing her embarrassment towards #43 and calling him a "dumb f**k" in a new documentary.

Though the Dixie Chicks initially set out to make a rockumentary, "Dixie Chicks: Shut Up and Sing" quickly became more politically charged after the group's frontwoman told a London audience, "We're embarrassed that the President is from Texas," at a 2003 concert.
"We felt like it was time to have cameras follow us around for a little while and just show the next cycle of touring," says Emily Robison about the filming, "and then when Natalie said what she said it turned into a totally different animal. It was one of those things where we knew it was important to continue filming."

The documentary, which premiered at the Toronto Film Festival, depicts the backlash towards the Chicks and their new album, "Taking the Long Way," which had difficulty getting airplay on country radio stations. The film will open this month in limited release.

ron

I laugh at the people who comment more than the story. The Dixie Chicks though ignorant have a right to their opinion even about our president. The war is something every president has had to go to since Washington , read your history.
As far as being a liar it also goes with the office. I am positive every president has lied to the American people on numurous occasions. Part of the job. Like one of us can swear we always tell the truth. Soldiers die everyday protecting your freedom. Every year a new war new deaths, but remember we now have a army of signers not draftees. Most fight in the beginning because they think it's cool as i did in Nam. they soon learn it sucks. Yet they are the true patriots not you who has never served. Your like getting paid for a job you never did. You steal your freedom.
then condenm them that paid for it. Including every President that served , and [ I mean served ] this nation

Kidjest

I loved the Dixie Chicks since I heard their first song. I doubt that ANYONE out there can convince me to stop listening and buying their music. Natalie may have made that comment in a different forum, but, the First ammendment is with her, and so am I! kidjest

Carol

Way to go Natalie! Tell it like it is and save the "spinning" for the air heads that work for Bushie!

Amanda

I think the comments that the Dixie Chicks said was highly wrong and done at the wrong time. They made the comment overseas and right when we where fixing to go to "war" with Iraq. I agree with the whole freedom of speech but there has to be a line drawn some where. I mean if you look back on it she made the comment then apologized then said something along the lines again then apologied yet again, I think shes doing it for ATTENTION and personally the Dixie Chicks just need to disappear again, country fans were happier without them

Seriously

Who freakin cares what the DC's think?
I don't and I doubt our President does either.
It's all for publicity to get their overly madeup faces in the news.
They should fall off the planet.

Joisy Boy

say what ya like, deal with the consequences...that's all Bush said. Yo momma said the same shit girl!

maria musgrove

It never ceases to amaze me that political analysts, people in high places in our OWN government (who, by the way, are supposed to publicly support the President) and others in the political arena can openly criticize Bush for our involvement in this war day in and day out and THAT"s ok, but let a county music star say the same thing and it's a crime. Last time I checked, this was America and the VERY POINT of our servicemen and servicewomen fighting overseas was to protect the VERY RIGHT that Natalie is taking advantage of - which is FREEDOM OF SPEECH. People apparently need to recheck the Bill of Rights for our great country because I do believe that freedom of speech is one of our FUNDAMENTAL rights. And for all those people who decide never to buy her CDs again - I guess that's your loss because I never thought that a person's personal opinion had anything to do with their singing talent. Funny how these narrowminded people profess to love our great country so much but hate when someone actutally acts like an AMERICAN.

Enough Already

I feel that EVERYONE has a right to their opinion. However, I think that using celebrity to force your opinion on others is not right. They know full well that because they are celebrities that whatever they say will get them attention. Natalie making those comments does not make them Gospel or Correct. I don't always agree with what decisions our presidents (yes plural) make however I don't go around calling them cruel, hateful names when I don't even know them. Obviously President Bush has some intelligence or he wouldn't have gotten to where he is today. I say use your celebrity for a good cause not to be foul mouth bullies.

Shar

This is all good humor

J. B. K.

Well well well...

I think now's a good time to put things in perspective. Here are two quotes, one by the Dixie Chicks - the quote everyone's been commenting about - followed by an Ann Coulter quote.
______________________________________

''Just so you know, we're ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas.''
-- Dixie Chick Natalie Maine's, at a London concert in March 2003

''I've never seen people enjoying their husbands' deaths so much. These broads are millionaires ... reveling in their status as celebrities and stalked by grief-arazzis.''
-- Ann Coulter on a group of outspoken 9/11 widows, during a Matt Lauer interview in June 2006
______________________________________

Personally, I think Ann Coulter's quote IS truly awful, & think no one could have said anything more horrific about 9/11 or those who've survived the deaths of loved ones who were lost in that disaster. Ann Coulter makes a tragically petty representation of America, & comes across as a rather heartless person by saying what she did.

But the Dixie Chicks conveying their dislike for President Bush is supposed to be so awful? Many folks, famous & not-so-famous, have expressed disdain for U.S. presidents [& their wars - remember Jane Fonda during the Vietman War?] over the decades, & have done so since our country was founded...why should the Dixie Chicks be any different than the rest of us?

Why do so many people continue to persecute the Dixie Chicks for being outspoken against the war? Are we not living in a country founded on Freedom of Speech, & freedom, period?

I support the Dixie Chicks exercising their right to free speech, & have purchased their latest album 'Taking the Long Way.'

Sincerely,
Patriotic Dixie Chicks Fan

chuck

I think NM has the right to run off her mouth. I also think people have the right not to buy their albums and not to go to their concerts. Freedom is a 2-way street. They should know their audience before they start talking. Their audience is not democrats that live in cities. Their audience is conservatives in middle America, and they should know that. This is why their tour is not selling. Democrats went and bought their CD and made it #1, but nobody is going to the concert, because they are not really fans, and the fact is they make their money from the tour. That's dumb.

She needs to be smart. In this case, Bush is definitely smarter than her, cus Bush knows his audience, which is why he wins elections. By the way, for people who think Bush's supporters are dumb morons...you are definitely wrong. I'm a black med student who live in Boston, and I support Bush.

lucy

So maybe Natalie should have curbed her words a little, kept them to herself or just kept to the music and not the politics. However, we do live in a democratic society where free speach is one of our rights. Every other celeb out there uses that right everyday to say whatever they feel. Since when does someone being ashamed of the President being from Texas have anything to do with ones support of the troops in Iraq? I'm not sure where that came from. I didn't vote for the guy, I think he's an idiot and a war monger! But, I certainly support the valiant efforts of our troops and their commitment to their duty and country. That has nothing to do with how one feels about "Dub Ya"!

Christina Waters

I love the Dixie Chicks. I have loved their music since I was a little girl. I fully agree with their criticism and calling Bush a "dumb f**k." That's just my opinion, but hey, it's a free country after all. Why should we be hated for putting down our opinions, as we have the right to do so?

Melody

Trash talking and being disrespectful is never going to gain fans and will only draw negative attention to themselves. Maybe Fat Nat will run for prez or maybe she would like to set up a debate with Prez. Bush???

Phil

Why Does it get blown out of proportion when Celebrities say anything and yet when the american public says anything its a brush off your shoulders. PEOPLE GET A CLUE. NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE SAYS OR DOES YOU CAN NOT MAKE THE FIRST AMMENDMENT DISAPPEAR NOR CAN YOU MAKE WHAT PEOPLE SAY DISAPPEAR. WHOEVER YOU LISTEN TO IS YOUR OPINION BUT JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU HAVE A CHOICE AND THERE IS AN IGNORE BUTTON AND A MUTE BUTTON AND AN OFF BUTTON YOU CHOOSE TO DECIDE THEN YOU CAN SAY WHAT EVER THE F**K YOU WANT TO SAY BUT UNTIL THEN KEEP YOUR OPINIONS AND YOUR EARS AND EYES OPEN TO THE REAL IDIOTS OF AMERICA.