Borat Lawsuit

High Five!!!

11/9/2006 9:26 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

How's this for the beginning of a lawsuit filed today in Los Angeles County Superior Court? -- "Sacha Baron Cohen is a prankster."

Click to view documents
Two anonymous plaintiffs are suing 20th Century Fox and One America Productions, claiming members of their college fraternity were interviewed to become part of the smash "Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan" film.

The plaintiffs -- listed as John Doe 1 and John Doe 2 -- were allegedly assured the film would not be shown in the U.S. and their identities would not be revealed.

They were both selected to appear in the movie and, according to the suit, taken "to a drinking establishment 'to loosen up' and provided alcoholic beverages." They claim they signed the movie releases after "heavy drinking."

The suit claims both men were then taken to a motor home where they were filmed, all the while "encouraged to continue drinking."

The movie features a scene in a motor home where Cohen gets drunk with three frat boys who go on a racist rant about how they wished they had slaves and how minorities in the United States "have all the power."

According to the lawsuit, the frat boys only received $200 for the controversial appearance.

The plaintiffs claim they suffered "humiliation, mental anguish, and emotional and physical distress, loss of reputation, goodwill and standing in the community..." because the movie was indeed released in the U.S.

The suit asks for unspecified damages.

Calls to 20th Century Fox were not immediately returned.

Amber

These guys were sexist, dumb a**holes. I'm glad they're being humiliated .. losers!! Hahaha

Ian

"Don't ever let a woman... make you who you are."

Even drunk, who talks like that?!

Mad Balls

Hey I know what you mean . I wanted to do this thing with P. Diddy except our guys couldn't figure it out so we settled it with guns and knives . I of, course bonded with P. Diddy and Our marriage was imminate ...I Loved Him !!!! And he did me . Until he found out I was a Man . It was hard because I hid it from him and it broke his heart . When I wasn't " complete" it made things tuff . BUT I CAN SAY NOW >>>P>>>THAT I HAVE GOTTEN THE OPERATION AND I CAN BE THE GUY YOU WANT ME TO BE . we'll that off my chest . .. heres' my question ... I HAD HIS CHILD BEFORE THE OPERATION and so who do I sue ?!?!?! ...DIDDY ????...ABC.????... Blackbeat .???....WORLD VISION PROCUCTIONS .????.... DIDDYS DAD ?????

daniel

Wow!!! I find it almost impossible to believe that there are "some" out there that actually support those frat faggots. Well hell, let's just look for a reason to sue someone. Have you ever seen the show "cops?" They film drunks all the time and splash the footage all over the place. What's the difference.

Those fuck heads got what they deserve.

Krakmunky

They're just pissed they revealed their true, and completely jacked up opinions to a larger audience than they expected. Example: "This country would be better off if we still had slavery". I hope they get their arses kikt for that statement, they would deserve it.

On the other hand, if Cohen filmed them and made money off them, he needs to pay them.

JTP

I would be suprised if the release form and the process that Cohen and his production crew use is anything less than bullet proof. They have been doing this type of gag for some time and I can't imagine that this is the first time that they've faced a legal challenge.

It will be interesting to see how this turns out. Could open the door to more litigation from other people who appeared in the movie or on the HBO series.

Jason Rantz

Anyone also catch this: the lawyer who represents the frat members is Ollivier from the painfully unsuccesful reality show "The Law Firm" which was pushed to BRAVO after 2 poorly rated episodes aired on NBC. Just thought that was funny.

Carter

These guys are over 18 and at the time probably thought they were having the times of their lives. They need to take it like the men they are - NOT!

teeks

Uhh... BOB? Did you even WATCH the film? Obviously not, because you're yelling about the film targeting only white males. The film targeted ALL groups of people, including BLACK males, and I don't see anybody screaming racism but YOU. So shut up and do research before you start blowing off your your yap. God, I hate hearing ignorant people b*tch about stuff they know nothing about.

teeks

To Jo Neumann? I cannot beleive you made such a disgusting ignorant racist comment. Sacha Baron Cohen (the guy who plays Borat) IS a Jew, yes, BUT he MAKES FUN OF JEWS ALL THRU THE MOVIE. How can you say he only makes funs of other people and not Jews. Another ignorant person who comments about a movie they havent seen! And I am not Jewish, before you open your mouth.

john

their rights were violated, they were lied to. even if they were dispicable, the production and sasha led them, lied to them and broke the law. they grossly violated the privacy of these guys by lying.

Scott (TheNightMaven)

As an experienced (16 yr plus) Civil Litigation Paralegal (my brief on my largest civil case was published at Allen v. Allen (2002) 275 F.3rd 1160) I find these guys ("Plaintiffs"), and their lawsuit, to be "Cartoonish" at best. FIRST: The Complaint is VERY poorly written (notice the high CA Bar Numbers of the inexperienced attorneys at the top left of the Complaint). It contains very casual, almost "juvenile" language and verbage that makes me wonder where/when these "attorneys" learned to draft pleadings (I would be most ashamed to show that work product to an attorney I worked for). SECOND: They have NO claim. They are suing because the film is allegedly making money, and now they have "buyers" remorse. Drunk'n slobs--get a job, or an education, or, preferrably BOTH and do something with their own job. THIRD. This action will Summary J out for the defendants I'm sure. True Litigation is like a knife fight in a phone booth and only one of you gets to walk away--these guys forgot to bring their knives.

Chase

These guys deserve to be humilated for believing that Slavery should still exist in America, and that it would be a better country because of it. I am a college student, who drinks heavily, and have many friends in frats. I do not care how drunk you are, or whether u think that what you are saying will never be heard in America. They said it. They believe it. They are wrong. They were not joking. They were serious. It's disturbing. They are idiots. And I am ashamed of them myself. THEY DESERVE TO BE HUMILATED!

blimey rot

the idiots!

i thought for sure that scene had to be staged because of their stupidity. but if they didn't want to expose themselves for really being the nimrods that they looked like they would have kept quiet and played it off like they were in on the joke.

growup

9th : you are a real delight

It's obvious you are anti semetic as these frat pussies are -

what's the betting they're the 'ol USofA culture cringing throwback, in-bred WASPs how have just finished sucking mummies tits and have found the real world doesn't discriminate when it comes to finding suckers outside mommy and pops protective net.