Richie Has Prior DUI

Mandatory Jail on the Line

12/13/2006 7:50 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Nicole Richie Nicole Richie could be adding stripes to her wardrobe in the very near future.

TMZ has found court documents which reveal that Richie pled no contest four years ago to driving under the influence. Under California law, if Richie is convicted of DUI as a result of Monday's arrest, the judge must impose a jail sentence.

The law requires a mandatory sentence of five consecutive days in county jail as well as a one year license suspension for anyone twice-convicted of DUI. In addition, Richie would be ordered to attend an alcohol education program for a year-and-a-half, even if the second conviction is not alcohol-related.

As TMZ first reported, Richie admitted to CHP officers that she had taken Vicodin and smoked pot before driving the wrong way on a Burbank freeway. A field sobriety test revealed she was not under the influence of alcohol.

Cop: "What have you eaten today?"
Nicole: "French Fries"

TMZ has obtained the police documents in the 2002 case. In the arrest report it reveals that Richie told cops all she had eaten that day were french fries. As for what she drank that day -- "1 shot vodka."

She blew a .12. and a .13 in two separate tests. In California, .08 is considered legally intoxicated. Richie was stopped in her Toyota Corolla after a UCLA police officer observed her blowing a red light and driving over a speed bump at more than 50 miles an hour in an area with a 15 mph speed limit. Richie flunked the field sobriety test -- her eyes were watery and bloodshot, and she could not keep her balance.

Richie was given three years probation for her 2002 DUI conviction and had her license suspended for one year. Six months later, Richie was arrested for possession of heroin and for driving with a suspended license.

Cyn

Please people, learn to read for heavens sake! She wasnt driving the Toyota, eating french fries, or drinking vodka this time, that was from the 2002 arrest. And she doesnt just look white.

Linda

Lets all pray she gets the help she needs before she kills someone or herself.

bruce yochim

mrs. richy need to eat moe food like rosy odonold-she may be cood be abold to drive en tha rite direckshon, if she had a ful stomeck. this poe gurl need to pud sum wait one. u kaint take all them pills if u done eat to up sum spaze in the stomeck-thet otha gurl thet is her frend from the sho she wus on - need to help hur-she need sum frends now-than u

Sam

why don't you all give her a break? she's human and makes mistakes. give her a break.

David Miller

The young lady should have to do some community work such as giving lectures as to why one should never drink and drive. She should be made to view human beings after horrible accidents (the morgue) I realize it sounds horrible, but it is better than if she ends up causing an accident. Just imagine if you get killed or paralyzed because of her actions!
Let her work as a nurse assistant taking care of quadraplegics, and see the human suffering, the toll on the human spirit, the broken bodies and minds!
Then tell me that it is no big thing!

Dave

Does any one really care about this? I'm really tired of having nicole,lohan,hilton and spears jambed down my throat every time I turn on my computer! Let's have some real news!

EVA

this is to KERRY: if u call 2 DUIs, smoking weed, taking a ton of vi vicodin, and driving while doing that, as well as her past
a addictions: A LITTLE MISTAKE, then we all know who's the junkie
she's a mess.....a famous mess.....but a mess....that's never
considered a little mistake...only to those who do the same

MIKE

I can't believe 20 % of the people think she shouldn't go to jail. I guess there are just that many losers running around drunk and high just like their "idol" Nicole. You people need to go visit some people in the hospital who have been in car crashes with the losers that do drugs/drink and drive. Shallow end of the gene pool losers............and you are so stupid you don't even know it.

Sarah

It may be what she needs to save her from the self destructive path she seems to be on. Sad..but true.

Sarah

Mac

Just want to point out to those correcting the author of this piece: The Corolla, french fries and vodka were from her 2002 DUI conviction not her latest run in.

I sincerely hope California's laws treat all it's citizens equally. Nicole Richie and her "friends" need to be taught a lesson.

Lynn

Re: #5...a little mistake? She could have killed someone. I had a dui 6 years ago and to this day I can't stop thinking about that fact.

ivanka

I laugh when her rep says " she want to put this all behind her and go on with her career" what career? I did not know shopping and eating "french fries" was a career, dang where can I go to get that kind of training to get on with my career.... she is a looser who was lucky enough to be adopted by a rich man....get over yourself nicole ya dumb whore!!!

Derrick

Here's a video you might enjoy. A hilarious interview
with Nicole Richie's attorney: http://nicolerichie.cf.huffingtonpost.com/

Sheree

Laughing at all of YOU tell me do you think that poster 177 is the famous one and only Amanda, I think she has actually gone and learned to spell... Wow not one error that I can see, however I cant help but notice that I have not received a reply in relation to my earlier comments... hmmmm very very interesting!!

Nik

Obviously ya'll can't read.. You need to go back and read what the article says..

This part of the article was from 4 years ago.. NOT recently....Leave her alone, we all go through rough patches and it does not matter whether you are rich or not if you have a good attorney you can get out of anything.....