Actors Tased,

Pepper Sprayed

... 'N' Word Used

7/16/2008 9:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Josh Brolin and Jeffrey Wright, who were arrested this past weekend at a Shreveport, La. bar, were pepper sprayed and tased by cops. And, we're told, police went on a vulgar rant -- and portions were caught on cell phone video.

The incident occurred during a wrap party for Oliver Stone's movie "W" about the Prez. Local station KTBS reports and TMZ sources say Wright, who plays Colin Powell, was repeatedly tasered and pepper sprayed as he lay prone on his stomach in the street. We know witnesses heard the officers using extremely foul language, including the "N" word, directed at Wright.

Our sources say Brolin was observed by witnesses attempting to make peace and standing still as he was repeatedly sprayed in the eyes by cops.

The city attorney has not decided whether to file criminal charges against Brolin, Wright or the others for interfering with a police officer.

sporter

Hey with the SPD they're lucky they didn't get shot. Several years ago hey shot a petty thief for waving a cell phone around. The officer thought it was a gun.

The local tv stations are saying that a witness caught the whole thing on a cell phone video and that the attorney(ies) for the actors. This probably doesn't bode well for the Shreveport Police Department.

Jennifer

I am from Shreveport and am so very sorry that this has happened. All of the celebrities who have come to our area have all been very nice to the people in the community and I hate to see two actors and their staff's being treated in such a manner. The movie industry coming to our area has helped our city and the surrounding areas in so many ways. I hope this does not detour future films from choosing our area to film in.

Troy

Those cops are the 12% who still actually support Bush. As soon as I heard about this I knew it was racial and politically motivated. You people who voted for Bush should be ashamed of yourselves.

Are you kidding me?

I'm not saying I don't believe this but if these guys were "repeatedly sprayed in the eyes" wouldn't their eyes be all jacked up? I've seen what one spray can do and it's not pretty...repeatedly seems like they'd look a tiny bit f'ed up. No?

ben silverstein

Actually they salt sprayed smith and pepper sprayed Brolin.

Boston Kate

What a BS racist state - too bad the whole state wasn't wiped out with Katrina.

heyyou

That rascist cops I see it's national ,not just a L.A. thing ,the cops with these tasers and beating ,need a lot more lawsuits against them ,this is America still and this kind of abuse from cops in any state ,it's time for the citizens of America stand up fight back,where not in some backwoods soviet style country,even under the Bush Regime their fascist agenda has been going strong ,we the people need to stop this kind of aggression and the police state type of action ,STOP THE FASCISM!

how dumb

To #14 - jack c. I totally agree that this happens to regular people all the time, but nobody cares. And its not particularly a race issue either. My WHITE friend was pepper sprayed by the police INSIDE HER OWN LIVING ROOM, IN FRONT OF HER TWO CHILDREN, all because she did not want to open her door for the officers who were investigating a neighbor complaint. When she wouldnt let the cops in, they busted in the door and pepper sprayed her to the floor. She's 5'1 and had 2 small children... there were 3 or 4 cops who "took her down" with pepper spray for simply not openening the door.

Tried to file a complaint against the officers for excessive and unnecessary force. YOU GUESSED IT. Nobody believed it and nobody cared. No one even wondered why 3 or 4 male cops found it necessary to pepper spray a non-violence woman half their size, in front of her two kids. FOR A NEIGHBOR COMPLAINT.

how dumb

Don't ever think that police racism only occurs against BLACK people. There are plenty of black cops who are racist against the whites. A couple years ago, my husband and I were pulled over by a black police officer (we are white). My husband's licensed turned out to be suspended for an unpaid parking ticket, and I wasn't wearing my glasses so I couln't drive the car home. Even though we were LEGALLY PARKED and I called my mother for a ride home, the cop insisted on TOWING OUR CAR. I kept arguing with him that there was no reason to tow it because it was legally parked in a legal spot on the street. He kept threatening to arrest me for arguing with him about it.

After it happened, I filed a complaint with the Police Department. They investigated, found that my car was in fact LEGALLY PARKED and should not have been towed by the cop with an attitude. Not only did I receive an apology, the police department REFUNDED the money I had to pay the tow service.

Racism comes in all shapes and colors, people. And you can bet no one at the police department did anything to the officer for his obvious racially motivated power trip.... he should have been disciplined on top of it...

R.Zimmerman

Does the Spears family know about this??

Top Cat

They'll be treated like kings when they return to Hollywierd. Mr. Wright is a superior actor and a winning personality and he didn't deserve to be Tazed. But Mr. Brolin will turn this into a triumph about how he stuck up for his Black friend. The reality is we all go out drinking and none of us end up arrested. Wild world.

jd

Must have been Albi the Racist Dragon

James

I live in Shreveport and am an extra in "W" . These Hollywood types
treat the locals like we are beneath them. We are not allowed to talk
to the actors or the director, and we are not allowed to take pictures
of anything. Try to start up a conversation with them and they shut
you up quick as they are not interested in anything you have to say.
I'm also "On The Air" in Shreveport and I have never been "too good"
to talk to a listener, I've never had a problem taking a picture with
a listener....This does not apply to all of them..Jack Black and Kevin Costner were
very cool...

2BHeardN08

UMM..WHAT was the reason for the arrest???? I'm sure the glasses I have on are mine. All these negetive comments directed to the actors, WHAT THE HELL DID THEY DO ? Have I missed that info.in this story ??? Please someone let me know if that info. is in the text under this headline. If so...I'm off to LENSCRAFTERS!! ;)

erin

number 80--the situation you described is not Racism, but Jerkism. Racism would have been if he called you Cracker or something. Not every negative interaction between black and white people has to do with underlying racial prejudice. seriously.