Madonna's Stage Collapses

One Dead

7/16/2009 1:54 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The stage for Madonna's concert in Marseille, France collapsed today, killing one person and injuring nine.

Madonna: Click to watch
The collapse occurred at the Velodrome stadium where Madonna was going to perform on July 19. We're told the roof of the stage collapsed on top of the workers. Fire officials in Marseille tell us two of the injured workers are in critical condition -- one is an American.

madonnaFrench papers say the concert has been canceled.

UPDATE: Madonna has issued the following statement: "I am devastated to have just received this tragic news. My prayers go out to those who were injured and their families along with my deepest sympathy to all those affected by this heartbreaking news."

UPDATE
: A second man is now being reported as dead.

Story developing...

Ice Water

Just a thought: Maybe so many people say hateful, mean things about Madonna becasue they don't see her a human being with any feelings. I mean, I haven't wished her dead, but I can see why people feel no empathy towards her. Just a thought, Madonna.

Tianna

DAMN, this is a damn shame. & someone lost their life behind this.

WOW.

michael jackson

madonna is up there with michael jackson, lady gaga, britney sprears.... PURE TRASH with money. doesnt change who you really are.... a total piece of $hit

KINGbaby

Madonna is just trouble wherever she go.......bitch........

Ben

I'd be more worried about getting hit with those huge flabby arm 'cankles' of hers.

who gives a shit

Well did her ugly ass arms have a hand in this??? Oh, TMZ why not get the footage translated??

louise

Gross..what is up with the Sticky and Sweet name? Old 50 year old lady...sweaty and sour ...you know Menopause. I should know...I am 50!

sanjuro

There are 10 victims actually. Translated from French: "One 53-year old Frenchman lost his life, an American and a British man have been seriously injured, three Frenchmen and a Comoran received multiple injuries and three people light wounds."

Peete

According to French news, the 32y old injured Brit passed away.

Lily

I don't think she prayed , Madonna prayed? Neeh! Do you trhink she has that kind of moral value in her self that she will pray for others? Neeeh! I absolutely don't beleived it. If I am a decent person I won't even go to her concert. I won't support her. Sometime or most of the time we should observe and know if that person has good moral character in life so we can help and endorse them.

Nono

A second person has died this morning.

Minnie D.

There are 2 death now
one died this morning

Jeff Dranetz

I don't understand, the stage was designed to carry the weight of Madonna's massive ego.

Hollywood's a Hazard

Like a virgin, touched for the very first time. Yeah right.. For the very first time TODAY!

Hollywood's a Hazard

Oh Lily, Of course she prays! Hail Satan....