« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Hockey Star

Arrested Over

20 Cent Fight

8/9/2009 1:44 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0809_patrick_cane_getty_bn-1Fighting over money is common -- but does $0.20 even count as money?

Two dimes (or four nickels) was allegedly the cause of a fight between NHL star Patrick Kane and a cab driver in Buffalo, NY. According to the Buffalo News, Kane (along with his cousin) were arrested after they allegedly roughed up a cab driver who couldn't give them the required change.

According to a police report obtained by the paper, the Kane boys paid $15 for a $13.80 cab ride -- but became incensed when the cabbie had the dollar bill, but not the coinage, to make change. The cab driver told police he was punched in the face and head, grabbed by the throat and had his glasses broken during the incident.

Both men were charged with second-degree robbery, a Class C felony, as well as fourth-degree criminal mischief and theft of services, both Class A misdemeanors. WIVB-TV says Kane has pled not guilty.

Kane plays for the Chicago Blackhawks but grew up in Buffalo and was in town to announce the funding of a local hockey rink.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

anonymous

Patrick Kane made $875,000 last year, on an entry level contract. And he damn near threw away his career over 20 cents? There's more to this story...

BillC22

i ask again!!!!!!!!!

this is no rape shield law scenario

why is the taxi driver accusers name not been revealed?

at minnesota airports taxi drivers of a group were refusing to take customers who may have had alcohol and other items with them?

why has this drivers name and previous record if he has one of fights with customers or whatever - why is it not revealed?

Mememememememe

THE PERSON WHO WROTE THE TRUE STORY IS A SCHMUCK!

Nicky

Hey, this is the first time TMZ has used the term "Hockey Star" and it actually be TRUE! Most the time they talk about no names that people don't care about. I love how people think (and most likely is) he was drinking, but yet he's only 20 so why isn't underage drinking added to the charges? In the end, I think that is what will hurt him most. The Hawks were gonna have to worry about trading him anyway so this just saves them the trouble if he goes to jail!

Stacey

I drove a cab for 4 years 'Taxi-Chick"....I'd start my day with a $15'change-bundle'....Then I'd take someone from a hotel to Disneyland--about $5--they give me a 20 dollar bill---there goes my change-bundle----so I go to 7-11 buy a soda get change......it happens again----stop and get change.....sheesh!....just let the cabbie keep the 20cents!--- tip your cabdriver!--it's not an easy job...

reidjr

Raven
Wait untill all the details come out before making any judgement.

Tim

Thank god he's American.

drf7651

Dumber than a rock!!

feebee

Loser !

reidjr

Taxi-Chick
You really beleave the driver should get a tip no matter how good a job he/she did.

voodoo

BAROL

I want to see these athletes go to jail for a long, long time and I also want the cabbie to get hundreds of thousands of dollars out of BOTH of them! As an attorney I would take this case for just 10% - it is a sure 100K at least suit!

uuuhhooohh!!!

PATRICK KANE! It's all in the name...the heritage...Kane is O'Cathian, Great Warriors Kings of Northern Ireland...for centuries...

Kanes, O'Kanes, OCahans...a GREAT Irish Heritage

uuuhhooohh!!!

Kane's fight when drinking...

Buckwheat

I would normally give a cabbie a $20 for a $13.80 charge and say keep the change. Kane is one cheap dumbass.