John Mayer

Sorry for Dropping

the N-Word

2/10/2010 6:56 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

John MayerJohn Mayer is apologizing for using the N-Word in that explosively controversial Playboy interview in which he compared his penis to a white supremacist.

During the interview, Mayer stated that "black people" love him -- and then he brought up the topic of a "hood pass."

While explaining the meaning of a hood pass, Mayer said, "It's sort of a contradiction in terms, because if you really had a hood pass, you could call it a n*gger pass."

But moments ago, Mayer issued an apology, via Twitter, saying "I am sorry that I used the word. And it's such a shame that I did because the point I was trying to make was in the exact opposite spirit of the word itself."

Mayer added, "It was arrogant of me to think I could intellectualize using it, because I realize that there's no intellectualizing a word that is so emotionally charged."

ljrich

Shame on you! I loved your music and am ashamed and apalled that someone who makes beautiful music can be so ignorant. I can never again listen to your music without having a bad taste in my mouth and an empty feeling where you are concerned. I wished you much success and now I wish for you only failure and continued humiliation.

Gina

Everyone has a preference...black/white/mixed etc., but most people just go out with WHO they like. why even bring it up? ...John Mayer is not THE Gift to women he thinks he is. If u like him & want to put up with his CONSTANT TMI...that's on u.

Taunya

I am so sick of these white celebs who get caught using the *n* word and then want to appologize for it. Don't appologize for using it, appologize for what you really are sorry for, getting caught. You said it because you meant to say it. You just didn't mean to get caught saying it. Oh yeah, and for future reference, it doesn't sound any better when a black person says it, so just because you have a black friend does not give you a "pass" to use it either. Think before you speak.

I selpt with John Edwards, too!!!!!

It's comical how it's ok for blacks to be openly racist, but God forbid a white person use a word they use on each other all the time.

Gina

LOOK...Bottom Line. in this day & age EVERYONE knows ITS NOT COO to use the "N" word...& the only 1 who needs to get OVER himself is JOHN.

...everyone has their preference, black/white/mixed but MEN generally just GO OUT With WHO they like VS TMI-ing ALL over the place. John Mayer that was TMI...man yr real lack of class is showing.

afranklin

John will never have to worry about me or any of my friends buying his records ever again. In fact, the one that I have will be going in the trash as soon as I get home. What I would like to know is why is anyone asking him questions regarding responsible issues. He is unable to articulate anything other than his music, which is why he's a singer and not a teacher. America, he is mentally deficient. Carry on John and may the force be with you. Using the "N" word in 2010? Please.

Jenn

Okay Granted it's a bad word,but why is it okay for these lame ass actors to use it? So if Kanye west or some over rated rapper person says it it's okay and the world can go on? Anyone else who isn't black says it is an ignorant rascist, its in the media, music,movies, history mostly from said lame ass rappers?
Its not okey he said it he is a douche bag his music is crap he's fugly. But seriously double standards anyone.

courtney

don't agree with the douche bag... BUT... how many people (mostly black people) use the word themselves??? If it is such a "bad" word, then why is it only acceptable when a few people say it?... Hypocrisy…

CallMeIdiotMayer

hmmmm. Out of the abundance of the heart...the mouth speaks.

jamalabeach

it's white people like him that make me question what white people truly think about people of color.

Taylor

First of all, Im black and the hood pass thing was hella funny. And I do agree he did go a little far on saying the n word. Number 2 its a playboy magazine so who cares about the penis thing. And john mayer was really sorry which he shown on one of his performances. And saying one thing like that doesnt make you a bad person.

booboo

It is called freedom of speech.......my what a sensitive world we have become....why arn't some sectors treated equally...whoops----I almost forgot-----we do have a black president----maybe he can change the "feedom of Speech" for all the cry babies.........

jamalabeach

some people love talking about freedom of speech, defending our rights to speech when it comes to white a-holes like imus, mayer, limbaugh.

but if a person of color does something against a white person, , all hell breaks loose.

never mind that john mayer had said some of the most offensive things about african americans, ever.

freedom of speech is fine, but let's not abuse that freedom and use it as cover whenever white folks feel like trashing non-whites.

it is about time that white folks owe up to their racism and work in real ways to overcome it. period.

Lexi

Way to apologize without actually apologizing. It's really OUR fault for misunderstanding what he meant, right?

Oh, to be stuck so far up one's own ass...