John Mayer

Sorry for Dropping

the N-Word

2/10/2010 6:56 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

John MayerJohn Mayer is apologizing for using the N-Word in that explosively controversial Playboy interview in which he compared his penis to a white supremacist.

During the interview, Mayer stated that "black people" love him -- and then he brought up the topic of a "hood pass."

While explaining the meaning of a hood pass, Mayer said, "It's sort of a contradiction in terms, because if you really had a hood pass, you could call it a n*gger pass."

But moments ago, Mayer issued an apology, via Twitter, saying "I am sorry that I used the word. And it's such a shame that I did because the point I was trying to make was in the exact opposite spirit of the word itself."

Mayer added, "It was arrogant of me to think I could intellectualize using it, because I realize that there's no intellectualizing a word that is so emotionally charged."

melonie

Mayer talking about blacks,and his ex-girlfriend Aniston talking about mexicans.

D

The same rules of sensitivity go for using words that are also targeted at specific groups of people who can't help the mind or body they are born with, just like you can't help the color of your skin. The "N" word was originally just a word for black, but look at this connotation now. It is unacceptable. The same is true for the word "retard." For more info, go to www.r-word.org. Hateful speech is NEVER OK no matter who is directed towards.

M

John Mayer I think they just yanked your pass dude. Better watch your back in the hood now, oh wait you don;t even know where the hood is.

Sin D

That WAS a dumb thing to say...and he SHOULD know better. He also knows,respects and is friends with many black musicians,of which he ( Mayer) would NOT EXIST as a musician due to those black musicians INVENTING blues as well as rock music etc. Another example of that terrible word serving no purpose...let's ALL just quit using it

Empty Apology

He meant what he said.

He's just sorry for the backlash he's getting from the public... and probably from his family, friends and managers too!

Lisa

Myra: I'm a white woman -- I think the "N" word is ugly and racist -- and speaking of which, isn't that what you were when you said "that's what all white people all white people say when they're not around black people"?

sarah

Oh for goodness sake..all those saying 'we don't want to hear him say anything, just play music etc etc...' obviously someone wants to hear this stuff or he wouldn't be asked for interviews. So he made a (pretty big)mistake. Since when did comedy have so many boundaries? Not saying he was fine to say it but give the guy a break. He's just clumsy, telling silly jokes that I'm sure others do, cept others haven't got a camera watching n parasites like TMZ waiting.

Miles

Oh hes sorry now. Oh no they arent going to let him off that easy. What John said was stupid and grossly wreckless. It pretty much sumed up what I had already thought about him. He is going to lose a lot of fans....for simply not being smart enough to THINK before you speak.

He is the white Kanye West.....no doubts. It really makes you wonder what all those high profile chics see in this LOSER. Bye John.....karma is about to take your 15 minutes of fame back.

djdw61

When he first came out, I used to love his music and lyrics, but the more this dude talks...and talks...and talks...the less I dig him! Does he even write songs or sing 'em anymore? Please, Mayer. Just SHUT THE EFF UP!

maul

I wish someone would for once just say, "Yeah, I said the word, but it was in a completely inoffensive way. SO GET OVER IT YOU OVERLY-SENSITIVE DOUCHEBAGS WHO WANT TO JUMP ON EVERY LITTLE THING THAT PEOPLE SAY AND PRETEND TO BE OUTRAGED."

time

Oh Jesus. Boy what makes you think that you are so important? One drop Jim Crow? That was abolished little boy; all else is null and void.

Angry Democrat 'Sky Blu' from LMFAO attack GOP Romney on Purpose .

SINCE John Mayer Supports Democrats and Barack Obama there is No Apology needed and he should feel free to say or do anything he wants based of his support.

TriniiGirl

Waiting On the world To change, such a shame with jerk offs like you in it, all black people should boycott his music. His ego is obviously bigger than his white supremist shrimp! ( d**K).

Ziggy

He should go back to licking Jennifer Aniston's butt for publicity purposes in the tabloids, since his music tanks anyway.

Just like an insecure man bragging about his penis. He should try to intellectualize his sagging album sales and his lackluster live performances.

Chrisitne

Why did the reporter even ask that question? Like black women are just some objects. John could have just said "all kinds of women throw themselves at me..." Why did he have to take it as far as to bring white supremacy into the conversation?? Why do people always have to bring black women into something? Just leave us alone...go play a song and shut up!