John Mayer

Sorry for Dropping

the N-Word

2/10/2010 6:56 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

John MayerJohn Mayer is apologizing for using the N-Word in that explosively controversial Playboy interview in which he compared his penis to a white supremacist.

During the interview, Mayer stated that "black people" love him -- and then he brought up the topic of a "hood pass."

While explaining the meaning of a hood pass, Mayer said, "It's sort of a contradiction in terms, because if you really had a hood pass, you could call it a n*gger pass."

But moments ago, Mayer issued an apology, via Twitter, saying "I am sorry that I used the word. And it's such a shame that I did because the point I was trying to make was in the exact opposite spirit of the word itself."

Mayer added, "It was arrogant of me to think I could intellectualize using it, because I realize that there's no intellectualizing a word that is so emotionally charged."

Grata

John Mayer offended Blacks and women in this interview. The use of the N word was the least of the offenses.

And what does he mean by "I don’t think I open myself to it" ?. Such disdain, like they are creatures from another planet. You would think that someone that's half Jewish would know better. Speaking of White Supremacy?! This further proves that those with insecurities about their "whiteness" are usually the most racist. I bet after saying that he felt a little Whiter.

Many White people are not racist until their subconscience betrays them.

funtanna

stupid publicity stunt. stop giving him attention.

Sonia

@Myra: You sound just as ignorant and racist as he does. Why must you make it a point to call out "white people". Another thing, to admit that you only sleep with Black men makes you equally discrimatory.

Gina

Michael Richards would LOVE this guy!

Deanne

John Mayer is highly intelligent and very talented. He needs to get into therapy to figure out why he's trying to sabotage his career and personal life. I used to love him and have all his CDs and been to his concerts but now I've lost a lot of respect for him. Clearly he has love for Jennifer Aniston and Jessica Simpson but can't sustain a relationship. John, up your therapy days to 3x a week, at least for a while. You are on the edge.

Whalerlady

You cannot spell Twitter without the TWIT

M

Highly intelligent? Wow thats rich.

MORES

he needs to shut up!!!! so away for a while pleeezzee

Ziggy

John Mayer says "black people love him". Really? When did that happen? The last black? person who loved his music was Michael Jackson and he's dead. Therefore his entire black fan base has relocated to Forest Lawn Cemetary.

Have no shame

@ Sonia and all others who responded to my comment, NOT ONCE DID I SAY HE WAS RACIST. Please read the comment again. And respond without emotion. It's got you completely confused. I said that we should say EXACTLY how we feel. Why apologize if you hate someone of another race? Most white people hate black people and vice versa. The problem lies in the fact that we will smile in each others faces and use words like n*gger and cr*cker when we are around the same race. And when we are in the company of a majority of our own race, if those words are used, we will not speak up. Look at your own experiences. Sorry if you can't handle the truth but I thought we were going to start getting real on the race debate...but if we want to continue to be phony and then surprised when things like these are said...Ok to that too.

nwcanadian

everything that comes out of his mouth is such bs

criss

Dumbass. Did he actually at some point think that was a good way to explain how much black people like him?

sherill

There are a lot of black entertainers that have said that they would not date white women (Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, etc) so what's the big deal? He should have just answered the question with a simple "no, I would not date black women" and there wouldn't be a problem right? Or is it different if a white man says it?

Black Power

To Post #103 myra- You summed it up nicely. The fact is that there is racism on both sides of the fence. Yet I believe it is a smaller group of people than you make it seem. Unfortunately, when you use words like "most", a lot of people read it as if you are saying all. Whatever the case is, we will never be a pure country until racism is abolished. I thought that we would all have a common enemy after 911, but that was just a pipe dream. Racism will never end until alien beings from outer space land and let us know that we are not alone in this universe. The unfortunate piece of this puzzle is that most of the racist will end up hating them instead.

Tamara

This tasteless moron is incapable of intellectualizing anything whatsoever. Do yourself a favor, John. Just shut up and sing.