Michael Jackson B'Way Play Opens ... in Court

6/19/2010 4:20 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

A huge Broadway theater group is suing the executors of Michael Jackson's estate ... claiming the estate is blocking them from making an MJ Broadway musical.

0613_micheal_getty_ex
Nederlander Presentations claims it entered into a contract in 2008 for the rights to create and produce a musical stage play based upon MJ's most famous songs, including hits from "Thriller" and "Off the Wall."  Among the songs -- "Beat It," "Billie Jean," and "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin.'"

According to the suit, filed in L.A. County Superior Court and obtained by TMZ, Nederlander claims the estate won't provide the rights to use the songs for the play.

Nederlander has already filed a creditor's claim but so far they've gotten nothing.

The suit names co-executors John Branca and John McClain as defendants.

Howard Weitzman, attorney for the MJ estate, tells TMZ, "The contract provides for certain approvals by Michael on a number of important elements.  Unfortunately, Michael is not available to participate in the process, and therefore I don't think the contract is enforceable.  The lawsuit has no merit."

Scott

So now what you gonna fight Mj's estate that has millions and milions of dollars? To bad you lose, money rules.....sad but true. Just ask heal the world foundation which if you have time google it on utube may open your eyes about the "executors".

Scott

heres the link for everyone.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7xuAXps0jQ&feature=related

Linda

Poor Michael had to live with people sueing him and court cases his whole life. No wonder he turned to drugs for relief. How much can a human take

Scott

I agree Linda......enablers took over and abused a "weakness" MJ had those enablers were AEG..............

candie

Will Michael ever get to rest in peace all these people just want money from him they did when he was alive now in his death. And that poor excuse of a father also he is just has bad as everyone else blaming katherine for Michaels death and now suing aeg, when will he stop and let michael rest in peace he didn't when he was alive joe let him rest in peace for once show that you care for once in you life time can't take this anymore. LET THE MAN REST IN PEACE.

Scott

Whats going on did tellit, trish, electric zipper and unwell take the night off or is it time for them to pick up there meds? Kinda quiet around here without the rtards.......

Horndog

What's wrong with that woman's face? Did she have plastic surgery that went wrong? A little time in the sun wouldn't hurt either.

Scott

sorry u did not make the list horndog but using others material does not make you part of "group"

Horndog

Did Scott just posting something? For a moment this site seemed a little more dull and tedious than usual.

Scott

On the up side horndog did win a participation medal at the last special olympics......

Scott

Ty fpic I am off for a bit have a great weekend :) Never cave to the trolls...........

really?

Hopefully Michael is not available as he has more important things to plan at the moment...

Scott

Before I leave I wanted to share that I was once as immature as these wannabe trolls who will never come close to the shadow of Mj no matter what they accomplish in life.

I grew up, MJ died and I realised what I had missed and it made me very sad. Man in the mirror speaks volumes to me as it should to anyone who takes the time to listen to it. I don't hate the trolls but I do pity them for missing out on some great music.

That all said and done in my "weak" moment posting on tmz. I might add I am very happy to announce my collection is complete :)

I have a first edition autographed pic of MJ from the bad tour, a this is it concert ticket, an authentic memorial program, and a ticket and wristband from the staples centre funeral. I intend on having them all professionally framed and mounted prior to the anniversary of his death next week.

This is not a financial investment just something for me to pass by and smile at because he not only gave a lot to charity but to his fans and that's something worthy of putting in my home.

As for all the trolls who want to laugh and make fun just remember kharma is a funny thing........

To all of you peace and have an awesome weekend.

LJ

I think the Estate is exaggerating on this one. MJ had agreed to this musical and wanted it to be done. Obviously Michael can't make final decisions on the end product anymore, but he gave them the 'yes' prior to his death for heaven sake. Just let them do it and be done with it. Or are they mad cuz they will then need to split some royalties with John Landis? Whatever.

LJ

^the "they" on that last sentence referring to the Estate.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments