Katherine Jackson to Produce MJ Movies

7/1/2010 9:25 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned ... Katherine Jackson is knee-deep in a business deal to produce and distribute several movies on Michael Jackson's life, and she is on a collision course with the MJ estate.

0630_katherine_jackson_movie_EX_getty

Howard Mann, the guy who co-authored Katherine's coffee table book, "Never Can Say Goodbye," is also producing a movie that will feature video from Michael Jackson's childhood through the end of his life.

We're told Katherine has hundreds of hours of video, including the family's big move from Gary, Indiana to L.A. after The Jackson 5 signed with Motown.

We're told Mann just bought the rights to 26 hours of Michael Jackson video ... owned by Michael Jackson's former business partner/confidant Marc Schaffel.  We're told Mann has paid Schaffel in the eight figures for the video.

Now here's the problem ... the Michael Jackson estate has the exclusive right to market Michael Jackson's name and image.  We're told Mann and company are comfortable with their legal position, because the beneficiaries of the estate -- Katherine and Michael's kids -- are profiting participants in the movie.  In fact, Mann tells TMZ he and Katherine plan on releasing a series of movies.

The estate would not comment, but as far as our research shows, there's no loophole when it comes to marketing Michael Jackson's name and image -- whether Katherine and the kids are beneficiaries or not.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Are you sure?

She should be able to do what she wants. She is the main beneficiary of the estate and it was her son. The lawyers working for the estate are working for her not the other way around!!! Michael left all his money to her and the children.

Daphne

65. karin
I dont think mj did molest any kids but if that is Your evidence then please quit defending him.If that is all you have then leave it to the real experts to defend him,,in other words
YOUR FIRED

Posted at 4:35 AM on Jun 29, 2010 by electriczipper
====================

No that`s not all, not by a long shot ...I didn`t even talk about everything in the second case, l
It`s so easy to just give totally unfounded comments about somebody that isn`t here to defend himself anymore.

My worry is the role of the media in all of this ; they`re not after the truth, but after there own goals. What else are they not covering as it is? We all should be worried...

Posted at 7:12 AM on Jun 29, 2010 by karin

allright karin you sold me,,,your rehired

Posted at 7:57 AM on Jun 29, 2010 by electriczipper

This is funny - You're fired - You're rehired. Gotta give u bonus marks for that. LOL. Yeah, we all know he was falsely accused. RIP MJ.

On another note, looks like I'm the 1st one to post. LOL x 2.

natasha

She gave birth to him let her honor him the way she wants

Googie

Joe Pimp Daddy Jackson is behind this. He wants his MONEY. It was his son, it is his wife, it is his grand kids, it is his money and he'll get it one way or another. Katherine really thinks she is a business woman and believes her husband and his associates won't take advantage of her and steal money from MJ's kids. Katherine still lives in Neverland.

janicebyrne

I would certainly love to see all the films...BUT only if it's all done legally through the MJ Estate and only if Michael's children are to be the beneficiaries.

StevieRayHalen

omg.

no one cares.

****.

just put a "MJ" section of your website for the fanboys that love mj.

and put these worthless, stupid stories there -

I just want to know new news about hollywood celebtrash.

the drama unfolding with the MJ family is old news. Just new episodes .like like we didn't know this family is F'd in the A..... ???????????

good thing Michael willed his nose to his momma. Looks better on her -

why is Harvey the gay rabbit so fascinated with MJ??

why is Harvey buying up MJ memorabilia @ a record pace?????????

what the hell is going on here???????

do i have to start going back to Perez Hilton's site?

oy vey, gayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy harvey!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wtf.?

igotfleasfromtmz

Oh I would love to see these movies Katherine has.
They belong to her - how do you not have a likeness this is crazy.
So anyone find out how much it cost to make those books yet?
Just wondering.

Daphne

why is Harvey buying up MJ memorabilia @ a record pace?????????
what the hell is going on here???????

Posted at 1:28 AM on Jul 1, 2010 by StevieRayHalen

Did he really ? Just curious.

tgrfan42069

katherine is turning out to be another joe.

aston

1. How could the estate own releasing rights to footage not owned by Michael Jackson at the time of his passing? If for instance a friend has private videos of Michael Jackson from years ago, they must be his to release if he so wishes.And if Michael Jackson had given me a jacket, I'd be free to sell it.

2. If those movies are private Jackson home movies, why does Marc Shaffel own them to sell? When and how did he get hold of them? Why do they not already belong to Katherine Jackson?

3. I am deeply disturbed by Katherine Jackson making money off her dead son. I would understand her wish to tell the world about what he was really like, after all the years of slander, but then I would expect her to give ALL the profit to recognized charities. I would NOT expect her to make deals. I am certain she was the last person Michael would think would do something like this, the only person he really trusted. I have a hard time with this.

And now I'm wondering whether I should erase that last paragraph, in case the kids read TMZ (which I for many reasons hope they never ever do.)

I think Mrs Jackson is probably providing the children with love and stability. But she is starting all over again with sending them to Jehova's Witnesses, which never did Michael any good (in fact, messed him up for life) and now she is doing this. The children have to grow up fast and realize she loves them, but they have to take an independent view of things around them and stay on course. They can not walk in the footsteps of the Jackson's, they have to chisel out their own lives.

Brigha from UK

1. The lawyers working for the estate are working for her not the other way around!!!

Posted at 12:44 AM on Jul 1, 2010 by Are you sure?
________________________________________
I agree totally. Could it be that the executors are more interested in protecting their 15% admin fee rather than keeping MJs legacy alive. I'd love to see Katherines home movies!

tishMJfan

wow!

Brigha from UK

13. Aston. I too can't understand how the executors have such power over anything related to MJ. Having read the will and the trust do***ents, I feel sure that MJs intentions are not being carried out.
According to Joe Jacksons NOTW interview, Katherine has not recieved her 40% yet. Her day to day expenses are being met by the estate - but she has not recieved a bulk payment despite the estate being in a very favourable financial position.

It's obvious that once KJ has her 40% she will distribute the money to her family. Personally, I believe this is what MJ expected her to do. I think the executors are intentionally trying to prolong the settlement in the hope that KJ may die before the money leaves the estate (a typical lawyers tactic).

Re the Marc Shaffel movies, I think it may be extra footage taken around the time of the Debbie Rowe interview rather than early Jackson home movies. Should be interesting to see though.

Agree with you re Jehova's Witnesses. Any fanatical religious indoctrination (of whatever faith)is always a problem in my opinion.

karin

Posted at 1:48 AM on Jul 1, 2010 by Brigha from UK

===================

Offcourse they are!
Don`t think for one moment they care about anything else but themselves.
There was a reason MJ fired those 2 clowns back then.
Don`t forget the will is from 2002!He fired them after 2002....
All they want is their 15%, that`s the only reason they are doing all of this...nothing more.

Cherwood

Love don't cost a thing....
Thing is, I want to see the home movies so bad it's not funny. HOWEVER, I'm becoming increasingly skeptical about the people Katherine is surrounding herself with--MANN, SCHAFFEL,DEBBIE ROWE--all OPPORTUNISTS, chasing the dollar at ALL costs. Just the fact that Mann and Schaffel had this memorabilia and sold them back to the family is shady. I'm not saying they should've just given them up, but I don't think they should've made a huge profit off of it.
And now that they've sold her the memorabilia, the appear to be trying for an even bigger payday by directing her to do books and films based on these things.
And I don't think Joe is in this, BTW. For one thing, I don't think any of these guys would have the stomach to work with Joe--he's the one who has to be calling the shots, it's his way or the highway...not to mention the fact that they know he would demand a bigger cut than Katherine.
Bottom line, if Randy and the siblings really think these guys are taking advantage of their Mother, they'd better start doing something besides tweeting about it.
These days, it seems Katherine has been put on the fast-track to the media spotlight and she's barely treading water. If someone doesn't rescue her soon, I'm afraid for her and MJ3 in the future........
-Cher