'American Idol' Back-Up Plan -- Shania Twain

8/12/2010 4:05 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

"American Idol" sources tell TMZ ... the Jennifer Lopez deal isn't dead yet, but if it does flatline ... "Idol's" next choice is country star Shania Twain.

Shania Twain American Idol
Shania was a hit on "Idol" this past season when she served as guest judge and mentor.

We're told Shania is Plan B.

TMZ has a thought ... What about Britney Spears? She's fun, she kinda knows music and you never know when she'll go off the hinges. And she's endlessly entertaining. Just sayin' ...

moveover

Stick a fork in this show. It's done! Simon may have been an arrogant jerk, but at least he saw the writing on the wall.

dee

Who are they using as judges in the audition cities right now?

xd

Share them. Mix it up with more guest judges. Id like to see more artistry in the music and not so much sell out into the money making country thing. Too much country is not cool but Shania is ok because she more like a pop star. I would be less likely to watch if she was on. Jlo is good artist, singer and dancer so I think would be a better fit and much more appealing to me. I'm shocked to see the poll results though. Brittany? really TMZ? Meant to be a joke but people love the train wrecks I guess. So glad to see Steven Tyler for some good old rock and roll. Need more Adam Lambert style but less gay. He is the superior talent and has the most character of any Idol so far. Simon will be missed. I hope they figure this out and I look forward to seeing what they come up with.

Mathias

Shania all the way!! She was absolutely amazing as a guest judge and mentor.... it's a perfect fit! :-D

MIDNIGHT TOKER

Here is an idea.How about Ted Nugent,If he doesnt like one of the singers he can shoot them and cook em up for dinner

MIDNIGHT TOKER

Another possiblity.Have the judges on the show shirtless and topless.That way the women have Randy for eye candy and the guys have boobs to enjoy.
Ratings would skyrocket.

Karen

I think Maria Carey would be an excellent choice.

DQ

I was disappointed that they didn't pick Shania right from the beginning. She was fun and had a lot of insight for the contestants when she was guest judging. I really hope they go with her over JLo. Shania has a much more successful music career.

I am not a country music fan but I do think that it is underrated on Idol.

MrsBeasley

The show is a joke now, so why not just say its 15 minutes is up. These so called judges they are choosing are self absorbed weenies and offer little in real world affairs, I should think. J-Lo strikes me as someone who is far too full of herself and too bitchy to be around for any length of time. Shania Twain? I agree with the above poster. Her looks got her some face time, not her talent. Simon, Paula and Randy were the best, and as we all know, anything but the original show or movie usually bombs. Bombs away...........

cocoapuff

Why not have a Reality Show, Seeking The Next American IDOL Judge or Judges. It would be fascinating and refresh the show. Let America make the decision. There has to be at least one person that is a judge that is like Simon. Then there needs to be a Glamour girl who is like Paula. And There should be an African American like Randy in case Randy does not go back. Then Ryan well Ryan most likely will be there. Shania is a good choice to be on the show.

tom

I like Shania but after seeing her as a judge on the show last season, I LOVE Shania. She was great...she was critical but with heart and direction.

stan

janet jackson
smokey robinson
keith sweat

lisa

JLo thinks she's all that. She is soooo plastic. She should just retire. She tries too hard.

lisa

JLo is a has been and absolutely no talent.

luze

If J-lo is a judge on A.I. they just voted my viewership off the show!