« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Abdul-Jabbar Slams Basketball Card Company

8/30/2010 4:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is outraged that a trading card company has traded on his image after he specifically shut them down ... and now Kareem is gunning for more than a million.

08030_Kareem_abdul_Jabar_getty_ex
In a lawsuit filed today in L.A. County Superior Court and obtained by TMZ ... Kareem claims The Upper Deck Company plastered 6 Kareem pics from his days as a UCLA Bruin on its "Greats of the Game" series.

Kareem ... who is the NBA's all-time leading scorer with 38,387 points ... claims Upper Deck had the audacity to market the cards after he turned them down flat.

The lawsuit, filed by legal pit bull Marty Singer, notes that when Kareem left the NBA, he blocked more shots, won more Most Valuable Player awards, played in more All-Star Games and logged more seasons than any other player.  Shockingly, Singer makes no mention of Kareem's epic performance in the greatest movie of all time -- "Airplane!"

The lawsuit seeks more than $1 million in damages.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

ZTG

WHO IS HE?

His Prince Michael

While I'm personally not a fan of the game of Basketball,
however, I'am a fan of thoughtful, exemplary AMERICANS:
GO KAREEM!

Bill F. Murray

LISTEN KID! I've been hearing that crap ever since I was at UCLA. I'm out there busting my buns every night. Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes.

LeRoy

He's the man though!

Superman

Since when did trading card companies need the players permission to sell their image on a card?!? I would think all they need is permission from the organization involved...such as the NBA and/or the NCAA in this case.

Godaddy

thats the dude that fought bruce lee in the last chamber on return of the dragon or enter the dragon (oh who cares who he is)

janet

You go LOU ALCINDER.

Wishes

He has not aged well - he looks very ugly.

MIDNIGHT TOKER

he looks like a crack head now but in his day he was a bad ass,,, the ol skyhook and yeah he got whupped by bruce lee

Just Sayin

Kareem is an AS SHOLE!

I asked to take a picture with him when i was 7 at LAX and the ru paul Look alike said NO! JERK!

Truth

WOW, NOW THE DOUCHE SHUD HAVE ACCEPTED THE DEAL. REAL QUESTION, WHY WUD HE SAY NO TO THE DEAL?? EVERY OTHER FREAKIN SPORTS DUDE IS WITH UPPER DECK. THAT WAS HIS COLLEGE DAYS... WHO CARESS ABOUT UR COLLEGE DAYS. MUST BE A PRICK IRL.

Valerie

Kereem is an AS SHOLE! I saw him at a hotel in Georgetown a couple a years ago. My son ask for a picture and he said no. Screw him and I never like him anyway. He is an ugly old man.

mamajj

#11 & #14 I saw him at the grocery store about 2 years ago. Asked him for an autograph for my son he said no. ITA w/you guys he's an *******.

Throwback kid

Was Kareem married to Devin Deray in the 90's?

kim

Y0u people need to check your history, Kareem is the baddest center that ever played the game !! He played with Magic and some of the greatest players that ever played the game ! Since he is in his late 5o's yeah he looks old if you make it you will too! He should have a the right to deny them permission to use his stats to make them money, they ain't nothing but money grubbing thieves !! Best wishes Kareem and I will always be a fan of yours!

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments