Polygamy Family Gets Really Good Lawyer

10/6/2010 7:33 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Kody Brown and wives have a powerful new legal force behind them -- TMZ has learned ... constitutional law guru Jonathan Turley is now representing the "Sister Wives" family in the polygamy investigation, and he's willing to fight it all the way.

1006_jonathan_turly_sister_wives_EX3Turley -- a professor at The George Washington University Law School -- tells TMZ he is ready, willing and able to sit down with the Utah County Attorney and make a case why his clients should not be prosecuted.

Turley says absent some proof that the family is engaged in child abuse or other crimes, Utah prosecutors almost never prosecute for polygamy.  Turley is quick to note there is absolutely no evidence of child abuse or other crimes in the Brown family.

Turley points out ... although Utah prosecutors have a lot of discretion in deciding when to prosecute someone, people can't be hauled into the criminal justice system simply because they've gone on TV and become high profile.  In legalese, it's called "selective prosecution" ... and it's illegal.

Turley says his goal is to convince prosecutors to leave the Brown family alone. But he says if his clients are prosecuted, he'll fight it hard. Turley would not say outright that he'll make this a test case and push it all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court, but he made it clear ... he will do everything it takes to clear his clients if they're prosecuted.

lgriffin

This is stupid, he's only married to one of them. If it's illegal to have a wife and three girlfriends who are all living with you, or on the property, and have a reality show about it: Then somebody better go prosecute and lock up Hugh Hefner. He's still married, she still lives on the property, or next door or something, and he's got three girlfriends, and a reality show. Same thing! This is a total waste of taxpayers money. Does the DA in Utah really have nothing else better to do!

djdeej94

Makes me SICK! I sent a formal complaint to TMZ... Some lines should never be crossed and this show was definitely one of them. Have some class networks - you are held accountable

c

“Really good lawyer”??? You’ve GOT to be kidding me. That is about the dumbest argument against prosecuting them that I have ever heard. Because they decided to take their illegal activities on TV they shouldn’t be prosecuted for them? Wow, I guess I should start selling pounds of heroine - as long as I do it on TV the law can’t touch me, right? Riiiiight. They must be pretty desperate for professors at that law school if this idiot is actually a teacher there.

And, Roxie, you are a complete moron. There is no polygamy in the LDS faith anymore. You do NOT need 3 wives to go to heaven. In fact, if you practice polygamy they will excommunicate your @ss right out of the church. I grew up in the church so I know what I’m talking about. Why don’t you do a little research before you open your retarded mouth.

camaguey

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSERS! Lord!

Jenn

If they are going to prosecute this family, then they need to look around the state of Utah, and all over the country. There are poligamist families all over the country. Whose to say whether it's right or wrong. They are all of age, he's not married to any little girls, they are a very hard working family and are raising a bunch of children, who seem to be pretty well adjusted, by what I've seen. What would happen to those kids, no one thinks of how much it would hurt those children to have their family ripped apart. No, I don't agree with polygamy. But, if they are all happy and in agreeance with it, then so be it. If they go after them, they need to go after ALL of them that are out there......

colby

IN THE UNITED STATES WE HAVE FREEDOM OF RELIGION. IN THE LDS FAITH, IT IS BELIEVED YOU NEED TO HAVE AT LEAST THREE WIVES TO GO TO HEAVEN. THEREFOR, MY PROSECUTING "POLY'S" YOU ARE VIOLATING THEIR CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS. Posted at 3:56 PM on Oct 6, 2010 by roxie
----
Thats not really true i would check your facts on this one

Bones

I really don't see any point in insulting these people in the way they LOOK. That's just plain rude and I'd love to see the faces of some of the people who post negative things about these peoples looks and size. Second, this should not be compared to gays marrying at all....you're comparing apples and oranges. Now all that being said...I think the husband seems very uncomfortable...almost nervous....like he knows he's doing something wrong when it comes to his new girlfriend. He just seems awkward and edgy all the time...it's almost painful to watch him. I think he's got a temper and that will come out when one or more of his current wives leaves...which is what I see happening. They are clearly not comfortable with him "courting" her. I personally think all the current wives seem like nice ladies...even though I wouldn't live the way they do...

BSweet

So I watched the show for a few last night and what I noticed was Wife #1, married for 25 years, crying about how because of her daughter, she stayed married to Kody even though he wanted another wife, and then another one. That poor woman must have absolutely no self-esteem.

To me, that is a problem. If a person does not have the confidence to stand up and hold to her beliefs, she gets used. It happens all the time. Too bad that's not illegal! It's legal to use someone's low self-esteem to get them to do what you want, and break their heart in the process. That's more important to me than if they were all happy living together.

Personally, I would love to have a hot sister wife to play with, but my hubby's not into it. Strange how life works out (or doesn't).

Kristin

The women look like they are mentally handicapped. Seriously.

Harry_Paratestes

The real crimes here are those ladies' haircuts.

exmo

they belong to the UAB and the LDS church still has the polygamy command on their website as canon (Doctrine and Covenant 132)which was given by God to Joseph Smith, the Mormon founder. It's the only way to heaven or be damned. Google "wives of Joseph Smith" and you'll see where the fundies get their ideas. The guy narried 14-year olds and women already married, and the older women pimped new wives as does Meri. Check also 'wives of Brigham Young and for more info on the polyg sects check out www.rickross.com. btw, Kori had previously filed for bancrupcy, 2 were on foodstamps and one polyg wive worked with Utah's AG

smkLA

If there is fraud involved in polygamy- that is illegal, But for consenting adults the government needs to keep its nosy self out of
people's private lives.

Terry

The laws on the books against polygamy or bigamy are so old and out dated. Get rid of them!!! Leave Kody and his ladies alone. Let them pursue their life and happiness. It may not be my way or anyone elses way but if they like it leave them alone. They believe in LIFE and are not trying to cram their way of life on anybody. They are trying to show the world they are just regular human beings and how ridiculous it is to have laws against polygamy.

Terry

The bitterness of some of the comments are WOW---very bitter. Why do we care because someone is different than us? These people have a right to live the way they want to. Does it make you feel good to bash people because they are different? It must.

Dawn

Gosh forbid you just left this family be happy and live their life! Let's try and ruin what they have because, why because the bible says one woman and one man? Keep your religion out of it! I am good friends with a polygamist family and guess what, they are allot happier then allot of other couples I know. It isn't all about sex either like some people think, they love each other as a FAMILY not a random threesome. Sometimes I just wish the political/religion aspect of certain things would just go away,its a waste of time & our tax money!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments