« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Junior Seau

Drives SUV Off a Cliff,

Survives

10/18/2010 4:10 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Junior Seau drove his SUV off a cliff in Carlsbad, CA this morning -- and survived -- this according to law enforcement.

Junior Seau car accident.
We're told the retired NFL superstar sustained injuries in the wreck -- cops are on scene. TMZ obtained these photos of Seau's Cadillac Escalade which landed at the bottom of a cliff several feet from the beach.

Seau has been transported to a local hospital. The accident happened just south of Oceanside, CA  ... where the former San Diego Charger had just been released from jail hours earlier.

As TMZ first reported, Junior Seau was arrested early this morning for domestic violence.

More Today in TMZ History

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Amanda

Relax people. Bad day + bad weather = accident. Roads are wet in San Diego this morning, Junior's is not the only accident today.

Hot48cricket

He needs a TALL cliff...otherwise its a sorry excuse for attention.

BitchTits

Since when is carlsbad north of oceanside?

Solaera

Please. Who deliberately drives off of a cliff backwards? He clearly lost control of the SUV and the rear of the vehicle slid off the road.

mike

Steroids, range , anger, depression then suicide attempts. I think the pats fed their linebackers steroids.

jhbvta24

I'm sure that he was really upset over being caught driving a 2004 Escalade. Seven years-old and American made.

Obvious Seaucide attempt.

e33

beats up a chick earlier in the night, goes to vista jail at 2am, released at 320am, driving south on the 101 and CLEARLY drove off the cliff on purpose. I know exactly where that is and you would have to pull a 90 degree right turn to go off that. Suicide attempt indeed. I agree that he probably thought the cliff was taller. Further south you'll find cliffs about 5-10 times as high.

dude's got issues apparently.

Laura

wow talk about karama dude your car is so f*** up well thats what happens when people do bad things bad things happen to ya but I'm glad hes ok,

Sean

This is starting to look like the common thing now amongst athletes who have suffered concussions throughout their professional careers. I feel bad for them as they themselves probably don't fully realize what is happening to them mentally. Some notable athletes who have done similar or worse things include: Andre Waters (suicide by gun) who at the age of 44 had the brain sample of an 85 year old, Justin Strzelczyk (accident during police chase at speeds around 100mph on opposite side of highway), and most recently Chris Benoit (suicide after killing his wife and son). Former professional wrestler Chris Nowinski has written a book on this subject matter titled, Head Games: Football's Concussion Crisis and this was the first thing that I thought of when I read this article. I hope Junior gets the help that he needs in all possible ways.

D.

Dang. That's just a few minutes from my house...

Jane

Come on, #47. You can't honestly believe that.

D.

Comment # 49, Yeh, exactly. I live about 2 minutes from where his car went over the cliff. Oceanside is definitely north of Carlsbad.

My two cents ;)

This was not an "accident" he probably needs substance abuse and anger management therapy. Sad when this happens to anyone. I pray he gets a good medical treatment team to help him and the girl. God bless.

CGS

This dude is way lucky, if that would have rolled down the hill he could be dead. I wonder what happened with this guy, I always thought he was cool. I guess we will wait and see.

Kevin