« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Surfing Legend Andy Irons

Dead at 32

11/2/2010 7:21 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Three-time surfing world champion Andy Irons died this morning at a hotel in Dallas ... TMZ has learned.

Andy Irons death:
The 32-year-old was found by a hotel employee around 10:00 this morning.

According to reports, Irons had planned to travel back to his home in Hawaii -- but fell ill and that's why he booked his room in Dallas.

The local medical examiner tells us an official cause of death has not been determined.

The Irons family has released a statement saying, "[Andy] had reportedly been battling with dengue fever, a viral disease."

See also

1102_remembering_andy_irons_footer
More Today in TMZ History

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

islandchica

He wasn't just an amazing surfer, but a man who knew the true meaning of Aloha. Every time we saw him at a competition, he was smiling and talking story with everyone. The surfing community just lost one of the greats... Hawaii will be in mourning for some time.

Rest In Peace, Andy, we love you Braddah!!

Jake

Dengue fever is nothing to play with. I contracted it in Costa Rica and was sick for 2 weeks....terrible fever and body aches. Some strains can and will kill you if not treated immediately. This was a huge loss to our surfing community. My condolences go out to Andy's family and friends.

vindog

RIP pun intended, in the heavens, where it breaks like Pipeline, without the reefs.

32 Wow, that is so young, I hope we all take note of how quickly this can happen to all of us.

Daniel

I live in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. We have the biggest Dengue problem in the world, all summer. I got dengue fever 2 times and i can say that this death its very strange. Dengue dont kill in 99% of the cases and people dont´t die in a couple of days. Portugal dont have dengue problem. This is another virus, certainly!

renhater

Don't even know who the guy is but he obviously made an impact on those that knew him. It is sad that this person who had so much to offer and so many people love him had to die at such a young age. RIP Andy.

kickaboo

What is the prognosis for typical dengue fever? Typical dengue is fatal in less than 1% of cases. The acute phase of the illness with fever and myalgias lasts about one to two weeks. Convalescence is accompanied by a feeling of weakness (asthenia), and full recovery often takes several weeks.

I hope he didn't try to rush to get back to surfing. I send my deepest sympathies to his family, friends, surfing community and fans. He was a handsome young man and looked like he enjoyed surfing and life to the fullest. I am sorry.

Tara

Damn, I loved Andy as a surfer loved watching him surf this is such a tragic loss to the surfing world, may he rest in peace my condolences to the Iron Family.

KILLTAGGERS

YO 17 HAWAIIAN SURF IM GONNA FIND YOU,
THEN THEY FIND YOU....

Alexa

Devastating! Only 32 and so much to live for. Condolences go out to his family and friends.

Diane

Where did he travel that he picked up Dengue Fever?

Kaua'i Resident

I can't believe some of the horrible comments! What is wrong with some of you??? Most here on the NS of Kaua'i have known the Irons boys their whole lives & Andy certainly does NOT deserve some of the tacky junk I've read! Get a grip people! He has a large family in mourning right now, and a pregnant wife due next month, so back off PLEASE!!!

karen

Sad....will miss watching him surf...Latest reports say methaodone overdose, which kind of makes more sense but sad none the less

kickaboo

@59 lil harvey...excuse some people, they have no manners, apparently never had death close to them. I hope someone shows them sympathy and compassion when they need it as they did not show this young man and his family and friends. Perhaps then, they will remember this young man's passing and "get it".

Moe Green

Hey 64, I guess you don't look at this TMZ site much. From what I see it's main purpose is tackiness. It's not exactly a forum for real feelings. You might want to contact the family to see if there is a charity to donate to in name of him if you are looking for anything serious.

loloagogo

Why wasn't he in a hospital if it was known he had this viral disease? Why was he alone? If you read up on it, it is VERY clear what happens in a matter of days after being bitten. Someone please make sense of this?