« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Surfing Legend Andy Irons

Dead at 32

11/2/2010 7:21 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Three-time surfing world champion Andy Irons died this morning at a hotel in Dallas ... TMZ has learned.

Andy Irons death:
The 32-year-old was found by a hotel employee around 10:00 this morning.

According to reports, Irons had planned to travel back to his home in Hawaii -- but fell ill and that's why he booked his room in Dallas.

The local medical examiner tells us an official cause of death has not been determined.

The Irons family has released a statement saying, "[Andy] had reportedly been battling with dengue fever, a viral disease."

See also

1102_remembering_andy_irons_footer
More Today in TMZ History

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

raven

So sad...has Max taken this hard? I would not be surprised, he is a sensitive person. Prayers for the wife and child to be born soon,that is sad. RIP.

waterlogged

I bet Andy is looking up at us right now and thinking... "Darn, I should have actually done something useful with my life."

Blue Lake

He was an amazing athlete. I can't believe this news. So sad for his family.

Taylor Parrish

Man this suck's i cant even belive it i cant even think about surfing Love and respect to his fam and all the boys that new him RIP Bra you will be missed...send us some sick ones while ur up there peace...

bruce

Was it "AID$"-related?

Posted at 3:05 AM on Nov 3, 2010 by mrspatrickcampbell
Wow What A ****ING koooooooook

KEN

what a great surfer to watch/wish everyone would only leave positive comments/get all the facts/he lived a life most people only dream of/pray they dedicate this years pipe masters to him/he had it wired like g man/rip brau

ckat

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." ~Author Unknown

ckat

for all u ******* parading around and making fun on this headline.. MAY YOUR FIRST BORN DIE W/ YOU U NOT EVEN KNOWING THEM.. I SWEAR SATAN IS ON HERE!

steve

However he died he will always be a true charger for me. If someone is an addict and dies because of it, it does not make it any easier on the family either way. SO if you people are going to run around and talk your **** shut the **** up, and respect what he did as a surfer. If he died of Dengue as suggested I still feel the same way. WE are all going to die and whether it is by OD or Dengue he did more on this planet to surfing than any of you so **** off.

Keefer

Andy we will miss you brada... **** everyone on this site who displays negativity through their unintelligent distasteful comments.. God bless you and your family and may God welcome you to his kingdom.. keep shreddin up there.

Joseph

I am so so sad to hear this. My sincere thoughts are with him, his family and friends. He was the age of my son and his friends. It hits me in the heart. I met him once on a plane. So friendly, vibrant and a nice man. God's speed young man.

TEVAHITUA

C'est avec tristesse que nous apprenons le décès de ANDY, c'est trop injuste, nos sincères condoléances à la famille IRONS, son épouse également. FAAITOITO. TEARIKI de TAHITI

mike

I cannot believe no one noticed he needed to be taken to the emergency ward. The doctor in Florida should have insisted he be hospitalized. I hate to say this after the fact but we all need to look out for each other. The guy is going to be a father and so many people care for him. I have been surfing for 30 years and its my life and he had such a profound impact on our lives. Bruce, Lyndie and his mom and dad I know you will hurt tremendously and I know god will
give you strength....Gob Bless you......

CHRIS STRICKLAND

MAY YOU RIP BROTHER, YOUR SPIRIT AND SURFING WILL NOT BE FORGOTTEN......... YOUR LEGEND WILL CONTINUE ON FOR YEARS TO COME, MY HEART GOES OUT TO YOUR FAMILY AND THE SURFING COMMUNITY

Kaua'i Fisherman

Andy was a wonderful man, had a fierce competitive drive, and was a pleasure to watch surf. It is truly an honor to have watched him surf at home in Kaua'i. You were an inspiration to the entire surf community. My condolences to Lindy, his unborn son, Bruce, and the rest of the Irons family. Andy will truly be missed. Mahalo. My next righthand barrel is in memory of you.