'Storm Chasers' Star Committed Suicide

11/4/2010 2:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

"Storm Chasers" just revealed one of its stars, Matt Hughes, died earlier this year -- and TMZ has learned his death was a suicide -- the result of a hanging.

Matt Hughes Storm Chaser death
At the end of last night's episode of the Discovery reality show viewers were told Hughes died in May due to complications from a fatal injury at his home in Kansas.

TMZ confirmed with Valley Center PD ... on May 14 they responded to a suicide call at Hughes' home.  According to the police report, officers concluded Matt, who was still breathing, was drinking before the suicide attempt.

We're told Matt was taken to a local hospital -- but passed away 13 days later.  The Medical Examiner's report lists "Hanging" as the cause of death.

110510_storm_chasers_tmz_tv2Last night's episode was dedicated to Matt -- and we're told Discovery has set up a memorial fund for Matt's wife and two sons.

Suzanne

I don't think it was Discovery Channel's idea to wait until some time had passed. I believe it was his family's decision. It makes sense to me that they would want some time to come to terms with Matt's passing before it was on TV. And it wasn't a total secret. It was on some message boards.
MIDNIGHT TOKER-A person who would make "light" of a tragic death is seriously in need of help. It is an insult to the members of the family.

Justacomment

Midnight Toker you need to lay off the pipe idiot!And noneofyourbusiness you are a terrible excuse for a human being! A man is dead , do you not get that??? Do you think he skipped through life and then 1 day said I'm done? Please do not populate because from your posts you could not possibly be anything but the Devil!!

noneofyourbusiness

Justacomment-I believe you misread my post......you may want to read more carefully before you want to call me out.

Justacomment

noneofyourbusiness, I apologize!! I did misread it. I guess I was blinded by that jerk Midnighttoker. BTW Midnight if you weren't smoking pot in the 70's you shouldn't insult Steve Miller. Your comments make me think you just some young punk who's parents didn't teach you anything!

Cindy

Sorry Suzanne, you are right, I was NOT talking to you. I appreciate you kindness, I could never have believed someone would comment to me like that!....Unless you experience suicide firsthand, it is very hard to realize the hurt that comes with finding out your parent left you by their choice.

noneofyourbusiness

TiffC-here is a great idea....why don't you go F*ck yourself, you douche.

sick of it

nice potty mouth Dragon.

Suzanne

Cindy I think that some people have such a low self-esteem that the only way they can feel good about themselves is to bully others.

I think that TiffC is an excellent example...

Cindy

TiffC- YES, IT WAS GUNSHOTS, AND YES IT WAS INVESTIGATED. She was not drunk, she was depressed and shot herself in the chest, not the brain, so it wasn't quite so instantanious as your presumed!

I will pray for you tonight-God help you! You must have one terrible life to be full of such venom, like a viper!

demoncat

Sympahty to Matt's family and friends for their loss. for Matt did a great service for every one. being out there daring to be up close with one of natures most destructive forces. sad that God decided he needed Matt skills way long before Matt should have been called to be with God.

Suzanne

Cindy don't waste any more of your time and energy on TiffC. They aren't worth it and you're only giving them more to comment on in their own twisted way.

TiffC back off already. No one wants to see what you want to say. I really feel sorry for you if this is all you have to do in life, put people down.

Smooch

Now this is truly heartbreaking. Suicide, even when I have no idea who the person is, always really affects me. No one has the right to judge this man - they have no idea where he was in life and what prompted such an extreme action.
____

What is so very sad is life got to that point for him and it shouldn't have.

Justacomment

TiffC is a bully that needs his ass kicked! Your Mother must have been a real bitch to you or maybe just a whore that made you watch. I can't think of any other reason for your complete lack of compassion or empathy.

Honest.Chick_83

Why did he do something so selfish? Why would he chose this for his family? To leave two boys without a father??

Suzanne

One final word for you TiffC

GROW UP AND GET A LIFE!

You are nothing but a bully, not worth my time and energy.

You have taken a conversation about the tragic loss of a young man and made it all about you because you needed to inflate your ego. You are truly a pathetic individual. OK, now you can write all the hateful comments about me that you want. You'll be wasting your time. I won't be reading them, so save your energy.