'Idol' Waitress Loses Job After 'A.I.' Audition

1/25/2011 11:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

The "American Idol" wannabe who was introduced on "A.I." as a singing waitress at a New York diner was "let go" from her gig at the eatery after the show got in the way of her work schedule ... TMZ has learned.

0124_Devon_Rush_ex

When Devyn Rush got her golden ticket to Hollywood, sources close to the singer tell us she informed her bosses at Ellen's Stardust Diner in NYC about her trip and expected to have a job when she returned.

But, we're told, when Rush got back and asked about her schedule, she was informed that her services would no longer be needed.

012411_devyn_rush_audition_foxStaff members at Ellen's tell us they simply couldn't hold Devyn's position because the Hollywood trip happened to line up in the midst of the diner's "busy season" ... and they needed to fill the spot.

A rep for the diner tells us the issue is still in "limbo" -- and both sides are trying to reach an amicable resolution.

AnastasiaBeaverhausen

All that free publicity she gave them and that's the thanks she gets? Ingrates.

joe mac

Oh well people need jobs right now and she thinks she can just have one saved in these times. she should have been fired and that is that.

Corbin

After all the free publicity she gave this restaurant during the audition and they have the balls to not hold her position. What a bunch of asses!!!! I say boycott this ****hole!

Bubbles The Chimp

Employers have no obligation to hold a job while someone tries to fulfill their own dream that was not even going to happen. She sucked.

Sonja

Please that diner got it's 15 mins thanks to her! It's a singing diner AI brought cameras into the place, free publicity featuring one of their waitresses. I wonder if she had made it farther into the show if they would have welcomed the cameras back in, showing their 'support' for their employee and all that like we often see.

Whirligig

Looks like they were trying to find any reason to fire her. They should've just hired a temporary waitress until she got back.

My two cents ;)

The management should be so happy this former employee gave a free shameless plug about the diner...They get free publicity from AI because of this lady and they dont even have the decency to keep a spot open for her? Are you stupid? I hope this girl follows her dreams and makes it to the top of Idol so the diner can suck it!

HarlotO'Hara

hmmm...they loved the free advertising they got during prime time.

susan30

Well alex lambert from season 9 took a chance and now claims on twitterthat he is homeless in LA. They even let him live in a mansion for 6 months after he was voted off and be in a show called If I can dream. Looks like things didn't work out for him either. I think I would dream a little less and keep my day job !!

Michelle

Granted that Ellen's Stardust Diner needs to fill a position while she is gone on A. I., but on the other hand the turnaround for these waitress jobs is not uncommon. Who's to say that when she would be finished and not advanced on A.I. that some other singing waitress would move on to something else and she can reclaim a spot? It seems the management at Ellen's Stardust forgets how to treat their employees and in my case their clients. Last summer, the management did not want my organization to bring a group of adults with developmental disabilities to their establishment. We confronted them that it was discrimination and they plainly said "We don't Care". I hope the management at Ellen's Stardust get a major bite in the ass.

Kc

She was actually our server when we went to NYC. We ate at the diner, "Stardust", right before we saw Wicked, it's right acrosed the street on Broadway.. We were totally excited to see her on TV. It gives us someone to root for..Go Devyn!!!!

gerry

here is their email address to complain: ellensstardust@yahoo.com

shootingstarlet

Oh come on, she works at a diner where the waitstaff is expected to perform...if she doesn't get far in the competition they'll definitely take her back because they can say they have a former-American Idol contestant working for them. Who can really expect them to "hold the job"? What if she wins? I mean, I don't think she will, but why would she think they'll wait for her.

NatTxn

The restaurant owners don't owe her a job. She leaves at her own risk. HOWEVER, I saw Devyn last May when I went with a group of friends to New York for my 40th b-day bash. While all the employees were great singers. DEVYN BROUGHT DOWN THE HOUSE!!! She was PHENOMENAL! It would be better for the restaurant owners to bring her back. I know, I was there.

cb

Didn't they show footage of the diner during the show? Or atleast mentioned the place they got a free plug. If they have another job opening again and they are on good terms they should give her the job back.