John Travolta as John Gotti!!!

1/25/2011 7:03 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

It's awesome casting ... John Travolta playing John Gotti in a new movie.

0125_john_gotti_john_travolta_EX

Travolta was at Amici restaurant (Italian, of course) in Brentwood last night, where he was coy about taking the role. But Marty Ingels -- the Executive Producer of the movie who dined with John  -- was more direct, saying Travolta will play the lead role in the movie, titled "Gotti."

Sources tell us Travolta has not signed on the dotted line yet.

We're also told James Franco has been approached to play John Gotti, Jr.  Awesome.

0125_travolta2Our sources say Nick Cassavetes -- of "Alpha Dog" and "Notebook" fame -- is currently rewriting the script and will be the director.

Marc Fiore
-- who purchased the rights to Gotti's story back in September -- was also at the last night's meeting and is Executive Producer on the film.

JimmyB

Wow...what stupid remarkably comments. Who cares about his personal life or his hair?

Travolta's a great actor who can pull off this part in his sleep. That's the story.

Bippy

When i look at their cheekbones and the crease from them smiling - they are almost identical (Just the crease and the cheekbone)

Sally

That is a movie that I would not miss. Hope it happens.

the_man

Worse pick ever for this role. I think the director should look for a more convincing actor or go broke.

Bill

Yeah well this will not work, as John Gotti was not gay or rumored to be, it would be an insult to Mr Gotti.

Jennyy

Jennyy...you sound like Ravolta. LOL!!!

Posted at 4:48 PM on Jan 25, 2011 by HarlotO'Hara

=====================================================================
I am rubber you are glue everything you say buonces off me and sticks to you

ROTFLMFAO - THAT IS HOW CHILDISH YOU SOUND!!!!!!!!!

But Seriously I'd much rather sound like "Ravolta" than come across as uneducated and unable to think for myself as you seem to be. I don't rely on The National Enquirer, The Globe, The Star or any other trash mags for facts.

Sugarbutt

Actually Jennyy is right. When Travolta played Barbarino, he admitted he had a cu***ber in his rectum just to get through all the scenes with Horshack. I don't remember what magazine this was in but he also joked about his afro wig and how it made him feel "ghetto."

HarlotO'Hara

Awww Jennyy...you protest too much.

LOL @ Sugarbutt!!!

WiddoMouse

John Gotti was far more classically handsome than John Travolta. Gotti has better hair, nicer shaped nose, better teeth, and nicely arched eyebrows. I don't know which 50-something actor should play him. I just know that Travolta would not be my first choice.

Tess

The Gotti's are Scientologists? :)

Barbara Barton

He's fat he'll have to loose some weight get real, I can't see him playing Gotti, he's not cool enough, or new york enough

WVUFan

Such a shame. Would've totally been interested in this movie had someone better been cast as John Gotti. I don't care for the freakazoid from Star Trek Baptist Church and will opt to download the torrent of the movie, if I watch it at all.

WellSinceYouDidntAsk

This mob king role would be good tough guy damage control for the gay "rumors". And it may be John's first juicy self ethnic slur role since Vinnie Barbarino from Welcome Back Kotter.

Caligirl

Travolta as Gotti is a great choice. Some of you haters perhaps have not seen the versatality in Travolta's movies. He'd be a great Gotti.

Congrats on a great pick Marty.

Enough