Mel Gibson

Pleads No Contest

NO JAIL

3/11/2011 8:17 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Mel Gibson just entered a plea of no contest to a charge of simple battery ... and with a little community service and counseling ... it's like nothing ever happened.

0311_mel_gibson_video_court_bn
Mel's no contest plea relates to a domestic situation in which the alleged victim had a child with her.

031111_mel_arrival_small_videoMel's entered what's called a "West Plea" -- which means he is allowed to maintain his innocence.

Under the plea agreement, Mel will do NO jail time.  He must perform 16 hours of community service with a philanthropic organization, Mending Kids, and undergo 52 weeks of counseling -- he's been seeing a counselor since January but will not get credit for the accrued time.

Beyond that ... Mel is required to have only "peaceful contact" with Oksana Grigorieva -- it's the same order he's under in the family law custody case.

Mel was placed on 36 months informal probation. One of the terms of probation -- he cannot use force or violence against anyone. He was also hit with a protective order that gives Oksana the right to record their calls.

Mel's lawyer, Blair Berk, told the judge her client entered the plea in the interests of his children -- so they wouldn't have to endure a one-year legal fight, and that's why he entered the plea.

0311_a_mel_gibson_in_court_footer

kkg

So Granny,

Let me get this straight. It's okay for you to denigrate and verbally abuse women on a gossip site, but if someone you dislike; say......Mel Gibson does the same thing to a domestic partner in the middle of heated argument; that's okay. Because you are faceless, nameless SOB posting on a board and he's a rich SOB being recorded by his baby mama. That's the difference...right?

Kathleen
Just want to get a better understanding.

Tellthetruth59

@Fud - with regard to the counseling I believe he judge said that it would begin as of today and he needed to undergo 52 weeks before March of next year. I had a lot going on while I was watching so I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Anonymous

@Posted at 9:57 PM on Mar 11, 2011 by kkg
--------
You are assuming that you know what Oksana may have said to engage a man in anger-the fact is you don't know. The recordings were heavily edited and altered.

Have a background in taking oral history and pod casting so I recognize when context is inconsistent, pausations occur, volume changes and speech speed changes.

The woman has decades of grifting, engaging men in one sided relationships and using people. Her court case took money away from legitimate victims of domestic violence. She should be in jail.

Mel did not record Oksana and maybe he should have. The man did trust her enough not to do that.

How's that for enlightenment KKG? You seem to be in a mental fog.

anonym

I think people forget how this prostitut tell in the camera "Kiss my ass who didn't support me"
DON'T GIVE UP . Truth will come out

fuddyduddy

4:20 PM Jul 13th, 2010 via web .He didnt even know I was recording him! hehe Im so bad! But I was scared for my childrens safety! not supposed to comment on the case-sry
In this Twitter from OG she is actually laughing about recording Mel.

fuddyduddy

It definetly kills her chances of litigation in pursuant to any DV claims in a civil action. As I said earlier from a technical stand point it's very strategical move.

Posted at 4:10 PM on Mar 11, 2011 by Alcamedes
-----------------------------------------------------
Alcamedes! A pleasure to see you again. I know Fuddy would want to send her hellos if she were here.

While I'm disappointed Miss Oksana will not called upon to answer for her actions, I'm thrilled that Attorney Berk struck this deal. My understanding is that it leaves Miss Oksana very little litigation wiggle room. I'm glad hear you confirm it.

Posted at 4:19 PM on Mar 11, 2011 by Curious
________________________________________________________________

Curious -- thank you so much for extending my good wishes to Alcamedes for me. I really do appreciate you remembering me here. I was out this evening. Had a family gathering to go to, so I was not able to read posts and respond. :)

fuddyduddy

Posted at 10:01 PM on Mar 11, 2011 by Tellthetruth59
I just read the People article about Mel and they referred to the counseling as 'domestic vioilence counseling' so perhaps it's just 52 weeks of that, and no in addition to other counseling.

I'm not familiar with 'informal' probation, but the judge stated 'informal' so perhaps he doesn't have to go into an office every so often; maybe he can just call in.

Harvey said that with the community service it was almost as if they really didn't want to give him any and that's why they gave him only 16 hours to complete. I love it that he's going to help Mending Kids. :)

fuddyduddy

LAR -- I have no idea about the Twitter page; I just read what Sam posted.

ohreally

and he got a conviction

Posted at 9:12 PM on Mar 11, 2011 by TMZgossip
****************************
He did not admit guilt, which again is what OX wanted. He maintains innocence which is what any intelligent, reasonable person (you?! hmmm) looks at.
As Harvey said, Mel is a lucky guy.

kkg

@ Anonymous

I welcome enlightenment wherever I might find it. And it is true I often stumble through what others might term a mental fog. However, my last post was not meant as a diatribe against Mr. Gibson, but was in fact meant for another poster. If I offended you; I'm sorry. If I offended him; guess I got it right.

Kathleen

little aussie reader

LAR -- I have no idea about the Twitter page; I just read what Sam posted.

Posted at 10:21 PM on Mar 11, 2011 by fuddyduddy

No prob fuddy, just thought I recalled someone saying it was a fake at the time. Not 100% sure what the outcome was though.

Sharen

Once again there is one justice system for the rich and famous and another one for the rest of us. In no way does the punishment fit the crime. Mel Gibson should be serving jail time for assault/battery and uttering threats. The justice system has failed miserably for women and is stating that assaulting women and threatening to kill them is only a minor misdemeanor. It's no wonder that men believe that they can continue to assault women without major repercussions and women are afraid to report being assaulted.

fuddyduddy

Mel won't settle as she has shown dozens of times that she is TOTALLY untrustworthy. Any agreement with her wouldn't be worth the paper it is written on.
There is SO much evidence of her crimes it is almost laughable that she thinks to walk on all this. The DA was corrupt, but outside LA, in the Federal Justice system is where she will be cooked to a nice turn.

Posted at 4:37 PM on Mar 11, 2011 by ohreally

In retrospect, I believe the Judge will enforce the agreement they hashed out concerning Lucia. If you have followed what has transpired so far in the custody case the agreement that was struck in their settlement talks as far as visititaion/access front has pretty much followed along the terms outlined in that agreement.

I would think that since the Judge has not deviated from it, that will be enforced even if they wen't to a trial in family court which would a risky move for Oksana.

With that being said the finacial aspects that were outlined will more than not be adhered to, so I don;t think she will walk away with any more than the million she was supposed to recieve as outlined.

Of course that is minus any Legal fees that she still owes her former Lawyers per that agreement.

Posted at 4:44 PM on Mar 11, 2011 by Alcamedes
________________________________________________________________

Alcamedes -- do you think Mel still wants to pay 1 million dollars for the 'evidence' that OG was supposed to turn over last year? What does the evidence matter now? Also, could there have been a deadline for when the evidence was to be turned over?

anonym

Did someone watch program with Herzog Krist at Tv today????

OinkOink

DON'T READ THIS.YOU WILL BE KISSED ON THE NEAREST FRIDAY BY THE LOVEROF YOUR LIFE. NOW YOU'VE STARTED READING THIS. DON'T STOP. THIS ISFREAKY1)say your name 10 times2)say your moms name 5 times3)say your crush's name 3 times4)PASTE THIS TO FOUR OTHER QUIZZES.IF YOU DO THIS YOUR CRUSH WILL KISS YOU ON THE NEARE.................................STFRIDAY. BUT IF YOU READ THIS AND DONT PASTE IT YOU WILL HAVE BADLUCK.SEND THIS TO FIVE QUIZZES IN 143 MINUTES. WHEN YOU'RE DONE PRESS F6ANDYOUR CRUSH'S NAME WILL APPEAR IN BIG LETTERS ON THE SCREEN. THIS IS SOFREAKY BECAUSE IT ACTUALLY WORKS

Previous 15 Comments | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments