MJ Family Offended by 'A.I.' Pepsi Moment

3/31/2011 3:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

UPDATE: Idol contestant James Durbin just tweeted, "For anyone talkin..I said pepsi NOT MJ! I have no disrespect for Michael. I grew up singing his art. I guess youll take it how you want it..." and then followed that up with, "Talkin about MJs passing is too soon. Making a reference to an incident 25 years ago..not too soon. The stab was at pepsi people."

Michael Jackson
's family is offended by a comment made on "American Idol" last night by a contestant, who made light of MJ's devastating injury that triggered years of drug abuse.

Pepsi Moments
If you saw the show, James Durbin told Ryan Seacrest after his performance, "I have a lot of hairspray in my hair to keep it from jumping around -- so much so, the one thing I was worried about was having a 'Pepsi moment.'"

The "Pepsi moment" is a reference to the 1984 incident where Michael Jackson's hair caught on fire during the filming of a Pepsi commercial, severely burning his scalp -- an injury that triggered an addiction to prescription drugs that may have ultimately taken his life.

033111_pepsi_splash_video
A Jackson family rep tells TMZ, "We were shocked to see this. It's nothing to make light of and everybody should be focusing on who was responsible for Michael's death."

The rep says Joe was particularly upset that producers didn't take the remark out of the West Coast feed.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Sloane

anyone who blames the Pepsi commercial for Jackson's drug addictions is just plain crazy

would that it were that simple!!!

CC

MJ was likely a mess well before the 'Pepsi Incident'. His 'family' must still be in denial.....

efnsteve

Stupid Jackson family strikes again. STFU Joe!

.:Loki4Ever:.

He's not MJ to his family- he was a brother.. a son.. a father. People seem to forget that

JT

I saw it as a slam against Pepsi and NOT MJ. Not everything is about MJ.

Straight Talkin Texan

Oh, brother! More P.C. crap! How about this? I'm offended by Joe Jackson! Can we stop him? NO!

MJ was NO frickin' saint, and everyone doesn't need to be all P.C. in deference to him. Besides, you can't blame the Pepsi incident for his addiction. HE MADE THE CHOICE TO BECOME AN ADDICT!

Marie

MJ was likely a mess well before the 'Pepsi Incident'.
Posted at 11:45 AM on Mar 31, 2011 by CC

MJ did not drink alcohol or take drugs before the Pepsi incident. You know nothing about MJ. So STFU.

BREAKFAST4

oh that Mr. Jefferson... (South Park Reference)

CC

#7 is also in denial....

Michelle

MJ could have chose rehab at any time. He didn't.

porkchop45

Pllleeeaaaassssse!!!!!

efnsteve

MJ was likely a mess well before the 'Pepsi Incident'.
Posted at 11:45 AM on Mar 31, 2011 by CC

Posted at 11:48 AM on Mar 31, 2011 by Marie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Marie, I nominate you for the "Mentally Handicapped, rabid M.J. fan of the year award". Congratulations to you.

Brian

So did the Pepsi moment cause MJ to jerk off to little boys and want to molest them.. No sleepless nights here when he died...
have fun in Hell MJ

Rick

The Jackson family needs to accept their son, brother, father, Michael Jackson was a druggie! Responsible for his own death. I think the only thing the Jackson family is interested in is MONEY!!

Tony Ramirez

Wah Wah Wah,,, cry me a river... he said something that hurt my feelings. Wah wah wah....
get over it!