MJ Family Offended by 'A.I.' Pepsi Moment

3/31/2011 3:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

UPDATE: Idol contestant James Durbin just tweeted, "For anyone talkin..I said pepsi NOT MJ! I have no disrespect for Michael. I grew up singing his art. I guess youll take it how you want it..." and then followed that up with, "Talkin about MJs passing is too soon. Making a reference to an incident 25 years ago..not too soon. The stab was at pepsi people."

Michael Jackson
's family is offended by a comment made on "American Idol" last night by a contestant, who made light of MJ's devastating injury that triggered years of drug abuse.

Pepsi Moments
If you saw the show, James Durbin told Ryan Seacrest after his performance, "I have a lot of hairspray in my hair to keep it from jumping around -- so much so, the one thing I was worried about was having a 'Pepsi moment.'"

The "Pepsi moment" is a reference to the 1984 incident where Michael Jackson's hair caught on fire during the filming of a Pepsi commercial, severely burning his scalp -- an injury that triggered an addiction to prescription drugs that may have ultimately taken his life.

033111_pepsi_splash_video
A Jackson family rep tells TMZ, "We were shocked to see this. It's nothing to make light of and everybody should be focusing on who was responsible for Michael's death."

The rep says Joe was particularly upset that producers didn't take the remark out of the West Coast feed.

gayle

Nothing against MJ .. these people need to get over it

Jan

so sick of the whining Jacksons. everything is NOT about their precious Michael. the comment made on A.I. last night was NO BIG DEAL.

lou

Funny because I always thought that Joe was a big part of Michael's demise.

Marie

Marie its actually been proven by his close friends that he had used marijuana before 1984 while partying at Studio54. I guess you didn't know him either so maybe you should STFU.
Posted at 11:59 AM on Mar 31, 2011 by LuvAll

You sound just like the tabloid mag the National Enquirer. Give me the names of MJ's close friends who said he smoked pot in the seventies. I want to see videos too. Don't just throw a rumor at us and expect us to believe.

L

OH BROTHER!!!! Its just the Jacksons finding a way to stay talked about.. Shut up!! Go away!!

One the poor kid who said it is autistic, so cut him some slack. Also, it was a fair compairison.

MJ was wierd! He was weird before the Pepsi thing. Getting burned doesn't make people that weird. Again, shut the funk up!

PRO US

James Durban meant no harm and no offense against Michael Jackson or Pepsi. He was just a little anxious about the pyrotechnics on the piano and maybe he was trying to be funny. James didn't even realize he shouldn't have mentioned Pepsi at all on the show, because Coca Cola is one of the show's major sponsors. You don't see Pepsi or Coke getting so upset. The Jackson family should realize no harm was meant by Durban.

ZB

Oh please ...that commercial had nothing to do with his drug addiction...and I do not think the contestant was making light at the expense of MJ...he was addressing a concern he had and used that accident as an example...not MJ the person

MJ has joined a long list of stupid stars who let drugs ruin their lives and eventually kill them...they had it all and they pissed it away....how many 'examples' do up and coming stars have to see before they catch on...drugs are bad...MJ is not special just stupid...how can you ask me to 'respect' someone like that?

Just Me

Wow, everyone is overly sensitive, especially the Jackson family! Ryan asked him what he was most worried about on that performance and I think he may have been legitimately nervous about being near a fire on set and the amount of hair product he had in ~ it wasn't a "slam" in any way against Michael Jackson . . . . everyone realizes that was a serious injury and wasn't Michael's fault that his hair caught on fire! That's why he was worried about it! I bet if any of the Jackson brothers were put in the same situation again, they'd be nervous too and rightfully so! I saw a woman's hair catch fire in a restaurant from the candle on the table igniting her hair spray ~ that makes me more cautious around lit candles . . . . just sayin'

Marie

The kiddy molestor is gone - lets stop talking about him now.
Posted at 12:06 PM on Mar 31, 2011 by They are crayz!!

Why don't you practice what you preach. Stop bashing MJ everytime TMZ posts a blog about him.

mondo

I do not think a bigger bunch of F*cking Idiots exist than the Jackson Family. Those Ignorant *******s think the whole world should revolve around them...always the victims...They Disgust Me !!!!!

J H

Chances are James was just using a term he heard the guys on the set say over and over. The kid isn't old enough to remember Michael Jackson's hair caughting on fire. And I saw the segment and he wasn't joking about it. He was just stating it.

LauraM

I was more offended by how horrible his caterwauling was than by his comment.

bring back recent posts

all I have to say is...TRUTH HURTS sometimes..and this young man caused no harm....btw..thankyou for your logical considerate post..Montezuma...sorry that happened to you!

lola

anyway to pass the blame.... stuff it jackson family, MJ was just a human who became an addict. no different from the 1000's of other people out there. durbans comment was harmless and was regarding a well known thing that happened on stage. **** off jacksons....

mj7panther

Listenin to half you lot..i see who the ****s are!
Yeah that was in bad taste his comment..I DIDN'T like it...also..couldn't care less for the ass up comments you have to say.
You know chit about his buisness OR the families, only the garbage you CHOOSE to read to give yourselves summut to be foul mouthed about.
I feel sorry for you sick lot!!! kinda