« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Kobe

Fined $100k

'Offensive and Inexcusable'

4/13/2011 6:52 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Kobe Bryant was just fined $100k by the NBA for his homophobic slur at the Lakers game last night.

0413-kobe-technical-tmt-ex-7-credit-1
NBA Commissioner David Stern says, "Kobe Bryant’s comment during last night’s game was offensive and inexcusable. "

He continues, "While I’m fully aware that basketball is an emotional game, such a distasteful term should never be tolerated.  Accordingly, I have fined Kobe $100,000.  Kobe and everyone associated with the NBA know that insensitive or derogatory comments are not acceptable and have no place in our game or society.”

As we previously reported, Kobe mouthed the words, "f**king f**got" after getting a technical foul during the game.

FYI -- according to Forbes.com, Kobe made an estimated $48 million last year in salary and endorsements.

UPDATE: A rep for the Human Rights Campaign -- an LGBT civil rights organization -- tells TMZ, "We applaud Commissioner Stern and the NBA for not only fining Bryant but for recognizing that slurs and derogatory comments have no place on the basketball court or in society at large."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

DrkAnjl

Hey Flyboy, so it's okay to insult and denigrate all the stupid people in the world by using the word "stupid" when you're angry?
[whole bunch of morons in a room watching the game..."duh, did he just say what I think he said?" "Duh, I don't know...what did you think he said" "Stupid!" "D'HEY! Don't call me stupid!" "I didn't Kobe did..." "Through the TV? Why'd Kobe call me stupid, he doesn't even know me!" "Because you are!" "Yeah, but he doesn't know that! I'M...what that word...HUFFENDED!" "Me too, let's all be huffended at KOBE!"] Flyboy hates all stupid people and the mentally handicapped now.

Brasil

You can not tell people what to say when their in anger. Peoples reaction and reflexes is not dictated. So you can't say he should of said stupid, when it was fa.ggot that came out. YOu can't tell people how to insult other people.

Flyboy

Stupid actually has more than one definition, DrkAnjl. Now, if I said something like retarded, you would have a point. Try again please.

Ubernoob, I'm not a girl and I'm not asking for "gay worship". No. More like TREAT OTHERS THE WAY YOU WANT TO BE TREATED. Is that too much to ask for you? I guess so. And no, that's not maturity, dude. That's immaturity. Grow up.

Flyboy

DrkAnjl, angry speech doesn't protect hate speech. I don't say hateful things when angry. I don't gay slur, racist slur, anything. It's a mentality thing that if the first thing you go to when angry is a homophobic slur. If that is the first thing you go to, you have a mentality issue. Gay slurs aren't in my DNA. People make mistakes sometimes, and if they are contrite in admitting them, that is fine. But those who WILLFULLY use the word in any context are in complete control of their actions. And they simply don't care about using these offensive words. That is not acceptable in a civil society. And the fact that the f-word has become a "common-place insult" shows that we have a SOCIETAL ISSUE that needs to be and is being addressed.

Brasil

Yeah treat people as you want to be treated. And there are those of us that will cuss someone out and we are not suprise when they cuss us out back. That's what happens. If I was the ref I would have cussed him back.

ubernoob

trust me girl i am. being a man and not letting what one nor many people say affect me. dont get me worng i even have a few gay friends. do they care what others say? NO!! letting someone say something that puts you down just shows that you need to grow a pair and man up

Flyboy

Rabinowicz, why are you whining about others whining? No-one else is whining. Some people are standing up for themselves, and then you have those whining about the people who are doing so. That's what I see. And equal rights and social equality are always important issues, which is why this is a national headline. Hate speech affects us all. In the heat of moments I don't use gay slurs. No-one should. And making any excuse of it is unacceptable, as are anti-gay slurs.

Brasil, it's not about telling people what to say when angry, but realizing that if you're angry the FIRST thing that comes to mind is "you're a ****ing f*g", you have a mentality issue. When I think of insults, really..........I'm not an insulting type. I stick to the merits of a specific situation. I don't need to insult someone to get my point across. Everyone should have the ability for reason even when angry. A lot of it is maturity and self-control. There isn't any excuse to lack this when you're an adult.

Flyboy

Ubernoob, not everyone has a "who cares about everyone" type of mentality. Personally, I do, when it comes to people I don't like, I dismiss them off the bat, and that's it. But when we are talking about kids, and teens, they have fragile minds, they are more sensitive. They should not have to grow up hearing hate speech. They should not believe it is OK to use. These words may not hurt you, but they hurt others. Why would you not care about the feelings of others? That is really self-absorbed. You have to realize, it's not all about you. And there are other people in the world going through different things, who have different reactions towards particular situations.

Brasil, the whole point is, you can express your anger in a way that doesn't include a gay slur. You can be angry, and say what you need to say. But just keep the homophobic context out of it.

Chad, if you have gay friends, ask them about which words are offensive. It's mainly about context. That's so gay, or the f-word, are negative terms. Common sense should tell you what to use and what not to use. And, listen to what a gay person says and feels and learn something from it. Put yourself in the shoes of others.

Flyboy

Come off the racial stuff, OKC. Bad people or good people are that way because of their personalities, not race.

peggy

Kobe Bryant is a Patheic Patholical Degenerate..unfortunately society continues to put these "Sports Figures" on Pedastels..sadly, our young people look up to these morally corrupt atheletes..what kind of role models are we providing for our youth!! it is very sad, and our Society will pay the price..shame on us! Put the people on Pedestals who deserve it..Policemen and Women..Paramedics..Teachers..what has happened to us!!! So Sad

Brasil

Well I'm a 20 yr old adult and if someone said something to me and their fat i'm going to say you fat b.ithch, if their gay i'm going to say you fu,cking ***.got, if they wear a weave i'm going to insult that. That's how i insult and they come back at me insulting me for being mixed, or whatever comes to their mind, it's all good with ME, not the world just ME. If i throw stones your way, i'm not that stupid or ignorant nor would i be shocked if you throw it right back at me. But that's me. I've been in fights called people names ; racial names which they called me right back and it's funny b/c some of the racial names I've called people, they can call me those exact names right back.

joe

Why are gays so damn sensitive? I'm sensitive you are so sensitive..The man was upset, probably don't even know or associate with homosexuals.Oops,I said homosexuals, guess TMZ will fine me for a word not 'sensitive' enough! give it a rest..

Angela

People need to get off their high horse...who cares? Seriously, 9 out of 10 people say worse things all day everyday...Free speech is free speech...it doesn't make it a hate crime..Relax...All these organizations are just itching to make a stink about anything they can. Ridiculous and I'm glad he didn't apologize for saying it. Get a life people.

Brasil

@ affbb00
I'm offended by this ad, me and all the people who came to respond to a post. And now I have to see this ad.

Brasil

Do someof you see how ridiculous this offended thing can get. It will turn into the book 1984 where your every say and move gets censored.