Katie Couric

I'm LEAVING CBS News

4/26/2011 3:43 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Katie Couric has finally made it official -- announcing moments ago that she's decided to "step down" from her post at the "CBS Evening News."

Katie Couric Leaving CBS

Couric told People.com, "In making the decision to move on, I know the Evening News will be in great hands, but I am excited about the future."

As for Couric's future in TV, she added, "I am looking at a format that will allow me to engage in more multi-dimensional storytelling."

Couric insists the details -- including which network she will land with -- are "still being discussed."

As TMZ previously reported, she is talking with CBS about a possible daytime syndicated show ... in addition in continuing with the news division -- probably "60 Minutes."

Couric's contract is up in June -- it's likely she won't leave the show until then.

TMZ broke the story -- Katie's replacement will be "60 Minutes" correspondent Scott Pelley -- we're told that announcement will be made sometime around May 6.

Katie Couric Photos

janet

Her contract is up and her ratings were so bad for so long no way she was getting re-newed. It was probally cheaper to let her contract run out.

moveover

Katie Couric can be called a lot of things. Personable, perky, cutesy wootsey, cheery, etc .... But, a JOURNALIST? No way.

Sandra

No surprise after all the rumours!! I agree with Chaz on this one!!

Michael Bourque

Katie I want to thank you for the best interview I've ever witnessed, of course I'm talking about the Palin interview. You asked only straight up,non-threatening, questions. Questions any person could, and would answer. Sarah dodges them anyway, and provides lots of non-answers. Sarah hung herself in that interview, this was the moment we were listening to her and she produces NOTHING! I once again THANK YOU Katie for allowing Palin to be uniquely inept. You're my favorite!

John dowser

She's a gummer, I don't know what Max is talking about her being hot...yuck. Plus she thinks she is so smart,uggh.

Just don't smile really hard Katie or my eyes just naturally look at your gums..lol such a gummer...who really cares...maybe she can join her little goon boy Matt again. Mr. I think I am smarter then GW the ex Pres, and I will show him 0 respect. Little arrogant spaghetti armed nerd, also going bald...sad person. "It sure feels good to be me."

Butterfly

REMEMBER HOW SHE BROUGHT TEARS TO THE GENTLEMAN GRANDFATHER ABOUT HIS BELOVED GRANDSON??? The woman has no heart, has no soul. Just a lot of talk with no substance. Bring Harry Smith, back!!!

bring back recent posts

...wow..what a bunch of low life jealous people posting here, fine if you don't like her on the news..( not that I think most of you have the intellect to even watch thru 30 mins of news)..but all the nasty lil comment...good you stay here in ur lil corners pounding at the keys typing nasty comments as u await the next post! just sayin...

Stupid People Hater

Bad career move. She will be in decline now for sure, especially at her age.

Taxpayer550

Oh, then, you'll want to go over to MSNBC. They're always telling stories.

Glory Bee

"multi demensional storytelling"? What? As opposed to the flat out one sided fabrications you've been telling? Count me out, her bias has always reeked.

supahJ

She's a little gummy bear!

Reality Check

She says she decided to move on? Funny that CBS announced Scott P as her replacement weeks ago. I guess they haven't told her yet...

idahohunny

Hey Katie, see you in next seasons' DWTS. You'll never go away so maybe we can see you shake like Kendra. I'd watch you for that!

Canthisbe

Finally, Katie's being honest. She might have better success as an admitted storyteller. The reason she was a disaster as a news anchor was that she was great at making up stories - but crappy at reading the news.

chartman

bitch, your a little late in making your announcement, real intelligent person, what do you read? cbs told her they were not renewing her contract thats fired to me. this was made public some time ago. guess she isn't everyones darling any more at least cbs finally got their heads out of their a**. she had no talent regarding anything. she is too heavy, too old to do tv.