« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Atlanta Braves Coach Fined, Suspended by MLB

5/1/2011 10:34 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Roger McDowell -- the Atlanta Braves pitching coach who allegedly hurled gay slurs at a group of fans earlier last weekend -- was suspended today by Major League Baseball.

0501_Roger_McDowell_getty_exd
McDowell's suspension will last two weeks, during which time he will not be paid. He was also fined an undisclosed amount of money. Commissioner Bud Selig said in a statement Sunday, "Conduct by people associated with MLB that shows insensitivity to others simply cannot and will not be tolerated."

Superstar attorney Gloria Allred, who is representing Mr. Quinn, tells TMZ, "The fact that Coach McDowell will be subjected to an unprecedented two-week suspension, be required to take sensitivity training and be fined, demonstrates that Major League Baseball believes that homophobic slurs, sexually lewd conduct and threatening behavior by Coaches or any other person employed at a game in the Major League will not be tolerated."

For his part, Justin Quinn tells us, "I am pleased to see Major League Baseball imposing discipline on Coach McDowell for his actions. I love baseball dearly and my family and I are now looking forward to getting back to the ballpark for another game."

McDowell himself released a statement that said, "I understand the decision made today by the Commissioner. I am embarrassed by my actions and I plan to give a personal apology to Mr. Quinn and his family."

As we previously reported, a family of four -- including two 9-year-old girls -- went public with their accusations this week ... claiming McDowell made several homophobic remarks toward fans at AT&T Park ... and then mockingly proceeded to simulate gay sex with a baseball bat.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Iceman

TMZ failed to mention how Gloria did the exact same thing to the Bat. Was pretty funny Fri night on TMZ show...... She's an idiot.

FloridaTeacher

My husband and I were friends with Roger's late brother,Bruce.
Roger can be a bit of a butthead....not shocked at all.

Kiko

I was really expecting a lot more "pitcher/catcher" jokes throughout this whole ordeal.

IsIAreIsMe

What exactly did he do to "simulate gay sex"? Yeah I saw the whole bat thing Friday but why is that "gay"? Now if he had held up two bats and butted the heads together.............

Will E

POLITICAL CORRECTNESS WILL END THIS COUNTRY!!!

Rooster

To harsh, just right, not enough? What are you talking about, the simulated sex act?

The whole thing is bull****. They went to a ball park, where men - who tend to act like men - play a stupid game for a lot of money. They didn't go to a matinée of Barney gets porked by the park ranger.

Rob

Political correctness... I HATE liberals!!!!!

NOBAMA!

stu

FIRE his old cranky wringled butt! The gay jocks (ALL teams have some) on the Atlanta Braves team should take a bat & work grandpa over!

stu

This homo phobic closet case said "kids don't belong @ baseball games". He's losing his mind! He's probably in some mens room right now tapping his feet in the stall.

Will E

Hey Harvey!! I saw Gloria Allred simulate a gay sex act on TV. I'm extremely offended!! Will you represent me?

Jerry Pritikin aka The Bleacher Preacher

I am satisfied with the actions taken by MLB, and Roger Mc Dowell's apology. However, I found the recreation of the purported events by Mr. Quinn and his Attorney Gloria Alfred in front of Mr. Quinn's daughters disgusting. The main thing is that Mc Dowell was not fired. I have witnessed over 1,000 major league ball games in person, usually in the bleachers. Too many of the fans use terrible
racist and anti-gay remarks and uncalled for antics aimed at players. It is time for MLB to make sure those guilty of such actions are escorted out of the ball park.

Rick

Justin Quinn is a *** for putting his daughters through that press conference. He is no better than Roger McDowell in my book.

Joe

Gloria allred gives good bat.

DboyDavid

its time for the ***s to quit getting so butt hurt by peoples remarks. if only they knew how men actually talked to each other then everyone would be fined and suspended

ed

Mcdowell was an idiot and will always be an idiot. As for dboydavid, well unfortunatley this is not 1975. Everyone, (including overpaid sports figures), must change with the times. Nobody can say anything about anyone, without hurting their feelings. It's life in the 21st century. Right or wrong; you're gonna have to deal with it!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments