« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

NBA Fines Joakim Noah

$50k for Gay Slur

5/23/2011 2:24 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The NBA has fined Chicago Bulls center Joakim Noah $50,000 for targeting a fan with a homophobic slur during last night's playoff game against the Miami Heat.

0523_joakim_EX_Getty_03
The fine is exactly HALF the amount the league fined Kobe Bryant when he hurled the same word at a referee during a game earlier in the season.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Durp

Haha ya I remember when he said that last night I was like "I'm pretty sure he just kobe'd himself."

bg

it will never stop

the Seeker

they're here they're queer get use to it !!!

so sayeth the Queen of TMZ

Mikey

They should fine him another $50k for his gay play on the court last night. He only scored 1 point all night.

MoonDust

I don't think there was any homophobia behind the slur, he was just name calling someone who I am pretty sure wasn't even gay. It was just trash talk, granted there are some words that should not be said at all to another human being because of the hurt that they can cause , but this dude didn't mean any harm.

Striker

He is only 1/2 as good a Kobe so it makes sense.

Cella

While I disagree with what he said, I wonder what the heckler said to him. Some of those people deserve every bad name they're called. Buying a ticket to a sporting event doesn't give you the right to say whatever to you want to anyone.

Wendy

Keep fining & make it large. They will learn.

John

This is so gay!

PictureUp

paying fans are worth a tad less that paid officials?

anony

They'll NEVER get rid of this in pro sports.
F****t is the curse of choice.
What about all the guys they aren't catching on camera?

Boomers

If this were to happen 10 years ago nobody would have cared, and there would have not been any fines, and it would not have been in the news. Why have people become so picky? What if Joakim Noah was gay and made a slur at a straight guy? Would there be a fine then? Probably not. So to all you gay people: You are gay and we don't care. I don't need to be in a parade with 1000 straight men and flaunt my sexuality, so why do you? Who cares?

Majestik

Harvey is a freakin' idiot. I can't believe he tried to explain off these "F" comments. I'm 48 years old, I was using that word when I was 8 and guess what, I knew what the meaning was and that it hurt people, only back then, being gay wasn't exceptable.''

Now, from my stand point. This 50 grand fine as apposed to Kobe's 100 K, is right on. I'm NOT a baseketball fan, I don't know HALF these guys, this Joakim, I've never heard of but I know who Kobe is. Of COURSE he should only pay half, and not in comparison to how much Kobe makes but how much star power it is.

That's like saying, in Hockey, Wayne Gretzky makes a racial slur but some guy named Cory Schneider makes the same mistake. People are like, who the hell is Schneider but going "OH MY GOD, THE GREAT ONE MADE A RACIAL SLUR"

BTW, disclaimer. Wayne would NEVER talk smack about anyone else, he's one of those guys who are so sweet and nice that you get cavities, I was just making a comparison LOL.

Vinsetta

Are the Chicago Spin gay basketball league going to ask him to come watch a game like the L.A. team asked Kobe to? Just trash talkin.

BB in CA

moral – don't mess with the ref

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments