CNBC Anchor Mark Haines -- Dead at 65

5/25/2011 7:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Veteran CNBC anchor and "Squawk Box" commentator Mark Haines died unexpectedly at his home Tuesday night -- CNBC has confirmed.

Mark Haines

CNBC President Mark Hoffman released a statement calling Haines a "building block" of the network's programming ... adding "Mark loved CNBC and we loved him back. He will be deeply missed."

Haines was a fixture on NBC's financial network for 22 years -- co-anchoring the "Squawk on the Street" show and providing commentary on everything from the dot com bubble burst to the current financial crisis.

A cause of death has not been released.

Haines was 65.

UPDATE: Hanies' former co-anchor Erin Burnett just issued a statement -- saying "Mark’s legacy is that he didn’t tolerate any B.S. from anyone. He wanted to tell the story -- and that’s why so many viewers trusted him. He would always ask the question that nobody else would ask. He was fearless."

HarvRulz

Major bummer. He helped get the morning started off right. He'll be sadly missed.

NolesGirl

Rest In Peace, Sir and prayers to his family...

gayle

no idea who this is???????????

Carrie

Oh that's a shame! I really liked him. And still a relatively young man, by today's standards.

I don't understand much about the workings of the stock markets, etc., but he was a likeable guy, so much so that I watched him whenever I was flipping channels in the morning and saw he was on with Erin Burnett.

Rest in peace Mark, and condolences to your family.

Marcin

RIP Mark.

I will miss you along with Erin.

JayK

Mark was one of a kind. He would not back down. When somebody came on and blew smoke up our back side like so many politicians tend to do Mark would stare them down and call their bluff. Mark made squawk on the street extremely entertaining yet intellectually informative. He will truly be missed.

artie help

he was a prickly but honest old wall streeter in the traditional sense, before it became computerised, called a spade a spade and was honest to a fault, the media needs more of his ilk. RIP

Howard

One of the ELITE on-air personalities you could trust. He was the consummate PROFESSIONAL reporting on the 9/11 attacks. We are all better people for having watched and listened to him on CNBC.

Jim in Cali

Yeah this is sad. Mark actually had a law degree and went into media. I bet Harvey will talk about this today. Sad.

OldSchool

To Mark's family: I am very sorry for your loss. Mark was one of the greats I have seen in 58 yrs of watching TV.

To CNBC. Other than Rick Santelli, who at your network has the guts to ask qustionsmlike NoBS Mark Haines? Hope you recruit someone quickly - perhaps Rick or Becky Quick - but certainly NOT the airbag Kahuna.

RIP Mark Haines

Don't Know What You Got Till Its Gone

Wish I would have known how revered he was while he was still alive. I would have watched.

Just goes to show, people are not truly appreciated till their gone.

R.I.P.

sportbusvinny

IfN U wants2ryd a REAL fn BUS came see vinny If Uwants2rdy DAH`tizzy Z shortbus goC harvey

ghfghfg

My condolences for those who knew him personally and loved him on tv... RIP

pap rat

IF you WANT2 ride a SPORTS BUS go C VINNY^ if you want to ride the short bus go C harvey.Vinny got sport busses up the vingvang

PaulWS

He was excellent, well read and good at his job. He asked tough questions to get the answers, not just to ask them.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments