Mel Gibson -- Helping Poor Guatemalan Kids

6/8/2011 8:49 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mel Gibson has touched down in Guatemala -- where he's  doing work for a kids charity -- the same kids charity he did work for to complete his court-ordered community service.

0608_mel_mending_BN_02

Mel completed his 16 hours of community service several months ago with Mending Kids. The community service was part of  the plea deal he struck for allegedly striking ex-girlfriend Oksana Grigorieva.

Mending Kids International provides medical care to underprivileged children. Robyn Gibson is a former President of the Malibu chapter.  Mel and Robyn have been doing work with the charity for years.

Midwesterner

Daisy 4 minutes ago

Ok. Mel plead out. So, he didn't "allegedly strike" ex-girlfriend Oksana Grigorieva. He did it. He plead to it. Let's get it right, people.

_________________________________

Mel plead "no contest" with a "West Plea," a type of plea unique to California. It means that he does not want to go through a trial (which would force testimony from a minor and end up a media circus) BUT (this is the West Plea) does not acknowledge guilt.

However, Mel himself acknowledged slapping--once--his ex-mistress.

Bunny that earns scooby snacks!

Daisy: mel made a WEST Plea: READ UP.

Fidel's niece

God is POSTING on TMZ????

ROFLMAO!

Belinda

Hi folks …

Well seems like the hate trolls have drinking the koolaid again. How much hate can they spew? There are some really ridiculous comments today.

@ God is busy … I hear the Holy Ghost calling you, the toilets are backed up again and he wants to get busy on that. So stop with the threats and get back to work.

Some of you haters say far worse than anything Mel Gibson has ever said

Belinda

Now to all the people of good will ...

It's good to see that Mel is still doing his charity work. I shouldn't say work, cause I don't think it is work for him, I think it is one of his passions. Charity and children, I'm sure it is like a double pleasure for him.

Belinda

Oops ... I hope none of you thought I was making fun of GOD GOD.

Only the person who's using his name here on TMZ and spewing his kaka all over this board.

Bunny that earns scooby snacks!

Imitation God?

What You Really Want To See

I'd like the full story as to why Oksana dropped the DV charge and why she is NOT using the tapes as evidence. 'Digger's' like Oksana don't let that sort of evidence slide or drop charges unless there is something really wrong. Has Okasana been found out and the story coming?

Pleading no contest is not an admission of guilt. It is a way to make something go away, namely Oksana.

This guy has likely done more for kids anywhere in the world than all of us writing on this post combined.

We are a pack of losers spewing thoughts while he spends time and money doing things. But I know what the majority will say here. 'He has the money and I don't. So it's up to him to do it.'

That's our loser mentality. Read this.

Bunny that earns scooby snacks!

WYRWTS!

"Too often, the judgmental and uninformed get caught up in the feeding frenzy, and repeat the scandalboom with self-righteous condemnation and bewilderment like mindless parrots in search of attention. But what would happen if we parrots realized we could think for ourselves or, even more even more unthinkable, admit that we might possibly, consummately be wrong? That is the question I (and others) began to ask about the “Mad Mel” controversy. So, I rolled up my sleeves, did some digging and took the time to acquaint myself with some facts:

What surprised me is what little the general public knows about Mel Gibson. He is as gifted and complex as he is generous, and is loyal to his friends and those who work for him and with him. Contrary to media rumors, he has close friends and associates that are gay, Jewish, Latino, black, etc. He is also a philanthropist who loves children, and donated $10mil to UCLA’s Mattel Children’s Hospital and the Cedars Sinai Hospital to provide medical care to children from foreign countries who cannot afford the care they need to treat serious medical conditions. Gibson and his family have quietly worked with a number of other charities for many years."

Belinda

Ya ... Mr. Busy.

Bunny that earns scooby snacks!

"Ari Emanuel (and others) are undoubtedly doing handsprings over these media scandals and people like Joy Behar who appear to go picnicking on Gibson’s reputation at every opportunity. Luckily for Ari, no one has mentioned his alleged bigoted remarks, such as “everyone knows blacks can’t swim.” Ms. Behar inadvertently made an offensive, racist joke to a female senatorial candidate who sent her flowers as a joke after Behar stated in anger that the candidate was going to hell during an October 2010 episode of The View. She has repeatedly made Gibson the brunt of offensive jokes and comments on The Joy Behar Show."

Belinda

That's because the Gibson give from the heart, not for the publicity.

Midwesterner

What about us who want regular DVD?

Belinda

I used to like Joy Behar way back when. Now I just think she is vulgar most of the time. She shouldn't be pointing any fingers.

Tellthetruth59

@ What You Really Want To See - I hope you are correct and Ox is about to be found out. When that happens, I suspect it's going to feel like a national holiday for many of the folks that have been posting here in Gibson's defense.