Anti-Pitbull Activist -- Jesse James' Dog Should Die

6/10/2011 5:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

One of Texas' most outspoken anti-pitbull advocates is lashing out at Jesse James' dog -- after it nearly killed another pooch last weekend -- telling TMZ, Jesse's pit "should be put down without exception."

0609_man_jesse_james_ex_tmz_2

As we previously reported, one of Jesse's pitbulls escaped his bike shop in Texas and attacked another dog (below) ... which then had to be rushed to a nearby vet for emergency care.

0609_james_dog_wm

Douglas Wolfe -- one of the leading advocates for banning pitbulls across the state of Texas -- tells us, "This attack shows that even seemingly responsible owners with the means to manage and care for their animals cannot control this unpredictable and inherently dangerous type of dog."

Wolfe adds, "Any animal that attacks and kills or injures another animal or a person should be put down without exception and tested for rabies regardless of who or what the owner is."

"No animal's life is worth the life of any person."

Pitbull ownership is a VERY heated issue in Texas right now, where Douglas and other activists have proposed a bill to ban pits throughout the state.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

joey _ I love TMZ 'til ya piss me off!

I think maybe the OWNERS should be put down. They're the ones that are irresponsible by not tethering their dogs, etc. Yeah, let's make it the owners. They never listen or learn!

Undecided

Dont put him down give him to shorty for some pit boss training or find him a better home sometimes dogs do get loose.

dube blu

jesse james should marry casey anthony and they can run hell for satin.

Kristin

Take him from Jesse and fine Jesse for being irresponsible of his dog. Wasn't this the dog he lost before?

joey _ I love TMZ 'til ya piss me off!

I agree w/ you Undecided. It says above that "even seemingly responsible owners...cannot control this unpredictable & inherently dangerous dog type of dog" True, but an owner, although aware, should respect the fact that their dog is more likely to attack and should not be able to have them in a heavily populated area as well as have to go through some specialized ort of Responsibility Training before they are allowed to possess one.

katastrophic

The dog should absolutely be taken from Jesse and he should be fined for being so irresponsible. The dog should only be put down if he is extremely aggressive and can't be "rehabilitated" or retrained (for lack of better words). However, judging by the pictures of the other poor dog, Jesse's dog may have to be put down.

However, I think people need to be more understanding when it comes to dogs like Pitbulls. I think the majority of their aggression comes from the way their owns treat and train them, I don't think they're just born to be aggressive animals. My best friend found a Pitbull puppy on the side of the road, took her in and raised like she did her other dogs. She is one of the sweetest dogs I know; very well behaved and a HUGE cuddlebug. She's never even nipped or growled at anyone in anything but a playful manner.

Any dog that is treated poorly is very likely to turn out aggressive, regardless of their breed.

Gloria Unread

I agree with the first poster, except teathering a dog is illegal too. I was mauled by a dog (that was teathered, BTW) and since then I notice every single large dog that is off it's leash.

Sadly, almost every dog owner allows their dog to run freely in their front yard. It doesn't matter if it's your property, it is still illegal (unless your yard is fenced in.) Try telling that to a dog owner though, and they'll rip your head off - even though by letting their dog run free it puts the dog's life in danger, too!

Lester

That could easily have been a young child that got attacked . What would Jesse James think if it would have been his young daughter? I bet he would have already taken out the dog .......

joey _ I love TMZ 'til ya piss me off!

To Gloria Unread - sorry to hear that you got mauled. When I said tethered, I may have misspoke, I meant more like conrolling be it a leash, but making sure that it still doesn't have access to people by being enclosed/fenced. Oh, also, I like your posting name.

Tony Johnson

THAT MESS IS WHOLLY UNCOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

UNTIL YOU HAVE SEEN A PIT ATTACK LIKE I HAVE YOU WONT KNOW HOW DANGEROUS THOSE DOGS ARE!!!

THEY STRIKE LIKE A WEAPON!

THEY GOT TO GO!!!!

Katie

Don't put the dog down. Dogs only attack if they feel threatened even if the other dog didn't do anything. No doggy deserves to be put down and people don't give Pit Bulls enough credit. They're dogs just like your ugly ass chihuahua that fits in your purse. My chihuahua bit a chunk out of my cheek, proving that any dog can attack and will attack no matter what breed it is. Its up to the owner to train it properly and show it the love it deserves so it never feels that threatened and have that dog socialized with other dogs. I mean really, this Jesse guy is no good. Why is he even still relevant? Leave the dog out of this. Put Jesse down.

NCdoglover

First, I am a TOTAL dog lover, have had dogs all my life and have 2 right now. Second, in my line of work, I see hundreds of dog bite cases and it is almost always one breed: Pitbull. Pitbulls will killed the children of their owners. They have turned on their owners. How many stories have you read where a pitbull killed or seriously maimed a person or another animal? Jesse James should be NO EXCEPTION. HIs dog has already proven to be dangerous. I don't think we should wait for his dog to bite or kill a child (or adult for that matter).

Sticks

that guy has no business having a pitbull. He cant even care for himself, let alone a potential deadly animal

John

Hey Douglas Wolfe, you're a giant P.O.S. and I wold love to see you banned from every state. I've owned several pit bulls and NEVER had a single problem, but seen plenty of people bitten by those ridiculous small breeds that people like Pari******on carry around. Given the choice between spending time with a pit bull or you, I would choose the pit. After all, it is probably intelligent enough to realize that dog profiling is ridiculous.

jack

Give the dog to a responsible dog owner and fine Jesse.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments