Anti-Pitbull Activist -- Jesse James' Dog Should Die

6/10/2011 5:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

One of Texas' most outspoken anti-pitbull advocates is lashing out at Jesse James' dog -- after it nearly killed another pooch last weekend -- telling TMZ, Jesse's pit "should be put down without exception."

0609_man_jesse_james_ex_tmz_2

As we previously reported, one of Jesse's pitbulls escaped his bike shop in Texas and attacked another dog (below) ... which then had to be rushed to a nearby vet for emergency care.

0609_james_dog_wm

Douglas Wolfe -- one of the leading advocates for banning pitbulls across the state of Texas -- tells us, "This attack shows that even seemingly responsible owners with the means to manage and care for their animals cannot control this unpredictable and inherently dangerous type of dog."

Wolfe adds, "Any animal that attacks and kills or injures another animal or a person should be put down without exception and tested for rabies regardless of who or what the owner is."

"No animal's life is worth the life of any person."

Pitbull ownership is a VERY heated issue in Texas right now, where Douglas and other activists have proposed a bill to ban pits throughout the state.

Bijou

Jesse James is not a responsible owner. I am a 39yo white college educated upper middle class woman, not a thug,gangster,trailer trash etc, who has has many recused Pits. They are wonderful dogs in the right hands. As a responsible owner I accept the fact that Pits are loaded guns. My dogs are never allowed out of the house, except in my FENCED yard, not on a leash. In public I will pull him away from other dogs,but I can not tell you how many people allow their dogs/children come right up to him without saying a word to me. I have called my local police to inform them about my neighbor who allows his dog to run loose and stand on the other side of my fence antaganizing my dog. People need to remember all dogs bites, none can be trusted 100%. I am also the victim of a dog attack,700 plus stiches to my face inflicted by a collie. FYI my current Pit is a certified therapy dog,Canine Good Citizen, and scored a 98.6 on a all breed temperment test. Blame bad owners and bad breeders not the dog.

wolfepk1

@Snoogs There are many studies out and all clearly show that Pit Bull type dogs are responsible for more deaths and more serious injuries than all other breeds. Here are some links to help you get the facts and stop repeating the misinformation so many spew out about these animals.

Please get the facts then make a judgement on the issue instead of listening to propaganda designed to confuse the issue.

Rudy

@Bijou

That's the problem - there aren't enough owners like you and there are too many like Jessie James.

LisaL

Stupid irresponsible owners make dangerous dogs and obviously this moron should have his dog taken away from him.
Pitbulls are no more dangerous than any other dog out there.
I've encountered more aggressive small dogs than I have larger ones. Every pitbull I've come across has been nothing but sweet b/c their owners knew how to train them correctly.

This anti-pitbull crap needs to stop. It's such BS.

R

The pitbull should be put down. At the every least, whenever the dog is outside anywhere, porch, deck, enclosed yard, ANYWHERE OUTSIDE, IT SHOULD BE WEARING A MUZZLE FROM NOW ON.

T. Bag Jones

I say find the dog a good home and put Jesse James to sleep.

M

He(Jesse) won't see the light until his mutt latches onto him or one of his children then he'll know what damage a pitbull can reek!!!

Calligirl

God...this pisses me off so bad!!! People that think the pitbull breed is the problem here are ignorant. It had nothing to do with the breed, I have a pittbull who goes to doggie daycare and literally wouldn't hurt a flee! Its the stupid ass owners that train them to be the way they are. My dog got bit by a golden retriever at the dog park. What do you idiots think about that? Huh???

happyday

I live in Texas, and I have wanted pit bulls banned for a long time. I might have to contact this guy to see what I can do to help. I encourage all Texans who believe in this to do the same. We need to put pressure on our government to do something about all the lives that have been lost in our state due to this vicious breed.

To all who blame only the owners, normally I would agree. But I was a victim of a pit bull attack, and I can tell you it was unlike any other dog attack. It wasn't all loud, snarling and growling, and the dog trying to scare you. It was like, "Oh, there's a dog...chomp...your dead." Luckily it really only wanted to kill my cat or there is no doubt that I would be dead too. After it chomped my cat and killed it (which took about 2 seconds), it quietly turned and bit my leg and trotted along. I was black and blue from desperately trying to beat it away from my cat, and I had a bitten leg, but I was lucky. The dog had COMPLETE control. There is zero chance you will be able to fight this dog off your kids or pet or yourself. Maybe with at least 2 really strong men there is a slight chance.

These dogs know exactly where to strike and kill quickly. It doesn't have to be a neglected, ill treated dog--this is what it is bread to do. It can be quite happy and something you do spooks it, and it does what it is supposed to--strikes to kill.

I cannot emphasize enough how different this breed is from any other. They took the most vicious of the vicious and bread them to pit fight. I don't agree with why and how they were bread, and I do not believe they have a place in our society. Period.

Britney

@ Rudy

You can tell from the photo that it is a fairly deep wound (the drain is visible), and I don't disagree with you about cost disparity, but I still think the bill would be higher and require further hospitalization if the wounds were as serious as they are implying. In most dog attack cases I've seen that are severe, it requires exploratory surgery, for $250, I doubt a radiograph was even taken (keeping in mind prices can be different). It just doesn't add up to me.

Mande

i have 2 pits and they will act on how they were trained. I use an attack word that is uncommon so that in a situation I can be protected. Also no one would be stupid enought to rob my house after seeing my dogs barking through the window.However, just like any dog, dogs have territory issues and will go after other dogs. When you speak of viciuosness then include chiuauas, because those are more likely to attack a person than a pit and are more aggressive. German shepards and rotweilers may not have the lock jaw effect but in a pounds per pressure for their bite they far outway a pit bull. Anyone who owns a pit also know what to look for when they are going to attack. Trust me there are very clear signs. I agree that all dogs should be kept on a leash, but if you want to ban a dog I vote chiuaua. GO TEAM PITT BULL. The motto for me and my dogs is strength to persist and courage to endure. They are smart and will not back down or give up. Which is the same way I would fight you if you attacked me or my family.

Paloma

Sounds to me that Jesse is not a very responsible owner. This is not the first time that a dog gets out under his care. His other dog went missing twice. I think he need to learn how to properly care for a dog. My grandma has a pit and it so sweet and well behave but she always make sure he can not get out. It called precautions Jesse.....

Sad

Dogs are animals...and they can ALL attack you...I've been bitten by ****er spaniels more than any other dog...have you ever seen ban a ****er spaniel in the news?? NOOOO!!! I have a 6 year old pit...never had any problems out of her...but again...we aren't stupid owners...her best friends are the cats and horses...she isn't around other dogs...and we live on 20 acres out in the country...and she is put up in her pin when company is over...we don't take that chance even though she is a great dog...if you are going to own a pit you have to be smart about it and have the means to control it...

Cody

I'm moving to Dallas in a year and would WELCOME a ban on pitbulls in the state of Texas!

Robert

wait this is the second almost fatal attack on another dog and it's not put down?? gotta love celebrity justice. what a ******* joke the so called justice system is.