Sly Stone

Arrested for

Cocaine Possession

6/10/2011 9:03 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

UPDATE 10:03 AM PT: Sly did not make it to court this morning -- but his attorney did ... and told the judge Sly is currently being hospitalized for heart issues. The judge ordered Sly to appear on Wednesday instead.

Sly Stone
-- leader of the group Sly and the Family Stone -- is slated to appear in an L.A. courtroom today after the singer was arrested for cocaine possession back in April ... TMZ has learned.

0610_sly_stone_EX_01
Stone -- real name Sylvester Stewart -- was arrested on April 1 ... after LAPD officers say they found freebase cocaine on the 68-year-old during a vehicle search.

TMZ spoke with Sly's attorney, James Silverstein, who tells us Stone was riding in a buddy's camper vehicle with some friends  ... when it was pulled over for a routine traffic violation.

During the stop, Silverstein says, cops searched the vehicle and found the coke.

Stone was arrested and hauled to a nearby police station. He's set to face a judge in a few minutes.

UPDATE 10:15 AM PT: After the hearing, Sly's lawyer told TMZ, "The evidence is clear that the vehicle was not his. I believe that this case his highly defensible, and Stewart should never had charges filed against him.

He added, "We firmly believe the DA will lose this case at trial without us having to put on one witness!"

See Previous

TMZ dont like me

The spirit of Rick James lives on through Sly Stone...

"Cocaine is a helluva drug!"

dd

Sly I would say get it together but at 68 I don't think it will happen...So sad.

janja

weren't the cloths and wig a hint something might be wrong with this weirdo, you can't be surprised.

Jodi

Not trying to be funny, but I thought he passed away some time ago. Wow....dude still doing drugs.

CloBird

I remember Sly and the Family Stone.Sly has a history of drug abuse;it is sad that he,at 68,is still grappling with the issue.I hope he gets better;drug abuse often leads to weakened hearts.

OooooNooo!

Sly Stone using drugs? SHOCKED! I tell you Shocked!

Rotter

Mugshot!!

Superman

WHO?

Sean

He has been a drug addict for more than 40 years. I am amazed that he is still alive. His mind was destroyed decades ago. Just think of how much more great music he would have produced. I always feel robbed by things like that.

KnuckleDragger

"Sly is currently being hospitalized for heart issues."

If the cops took my stash...I'd be heartbroken too.

anony

The vehicle wasn't his....but the base was.

Sue

Of course he is in the hospital for heart issues. You dont do cocaine in your 60's
and expect to live to tell about it.

WHAT A FOOL

R

I love Sly And the Family Stone!

Tammy

If he was in a camper with others and they found cocaine in the camper, why was he the only one arrested? Unless they found it on his person, that's a bogus charge if they didn't arrest all.

Tina

He's 68 and still freebases?!!! And now he's in the hospital with heart problems? How'd THAT happen? BTW, what's with the clown suit?

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments