Morgan Apologizes

My Gay Jokes Were

NOT FUNNY

6/10/2011 9:09 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Tracy Morgan just issued an apology  for the homophobic "jokes" he told during a performance in Nashville last Friday -- saying he "went too far" and his act was "not funny in any context."

Tracy Morgan

In the statement, which Morgan sent to several gay rights groups, the comic says, "I want to apologize to my fans and the gay & lesbian community for my choice of words at my recent stand-up act in Nashville."

He adds, "I'm not a hateful person and don’t condone any kind of violence against others."

"While I am an equal opportunity jokester, and my friends know what is in my heart, even in a comedy club this clearly went too far and was not funny in any context.

As TMZ previously reported, Morgan ignited a firestorm for the homophobic content in his act -- in which he said he would stab his son if he acted gay.

Back in Morgan's "Saturday Night Live" days, the actor starred in a sketch called" Homocil" -- in which he takes pills to "deal" with the fact that his son is gay.

tmz-top-comments
DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

"He apologized for one reason only. He realized he might be in danger of hurting his career. 30 Rock has been slipping anyway. I say fire his ass"

RichInGB RichInGB

Remember when Richard Pryor would drop N bombs on stage, or Eddie Murphy, or whoever in the 70's and 80's? The whole crowd laughed. I bet if Morgan was openly gay, nobody would give a crap. People have become overly PC, IMO. He's a comedian, it's an act.

Marie Marie

Unless Tracy Morgan participates in the gay parade next month then I will accept his apology. Saying he is sorry is not enough.

tmz-top-comments
Paul Paul

"For those who don't get it....being gay isn't "what you are"...it's "who you are"...and what he did was he meant to destroy the core of a persons spirit....so stop saying gays are being too sensitive...it's way deeper than that....if we're "too sensitive" well your just way too shallow for anyone I'd want to know....and I as a gay man never sit around thinking about what other people do in bed..gay bashers do...to me they are the ones that need some serious help..."

Freshlycrown3d Freshlycrown3d

He says crazy off the wall stuff all the time ,why are people act like this is something new its not.

justmyopinion justmyopinion

come ON..this guy isn't even funny, never was..he talks like a 7-year-old who spews out every curse word he knows just to see if he can get a reaction..that's comedy? NOPE. He's lucky he's friends w/Tina Fey--probably the reason he's still on tv.

dOoOshie dOoOshie

...NEWS...FLASH...NEWS...FLASH...NEWS...FLASH... Some people don't like gay people. Some people don't like black people, white people, Christians, Muslims, etc. If you don't like what he says don't listen. Isn't it about time for another Kardashian Nip Slip...

Mike44090 Mike44090

Why is it that people are ready to accept Tracy Morgan's apology but when it was Michael Richards rant against black his career was over, Could it be that gay's are STILL considered second class citizens in this country?

DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

He apologized for one reason only. He realized he might be in danger of hurting his career. 30 Rock has been slipping anyway. I say fire his ass.

DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

RichInGB RichInGB

Marie Marie

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

yomama

tracy Morgan is NOT FUNNY.... period.

Cartman

I don't know.. some of that was funny.

Why must gays lisp? I don't get that either.

NightOwl

LAME

McG

So his jokes were "not funny in any context." Why tell them in the first place? Backpedal much?

Howie

Tracy, you are a hateful and prejudiced person. You only apologized because you received so much negative reaction to your disgusting diatribes against gays that you feared for your professional career as a "comedian". You are a vicious fool. Worse, you are not funny. Get a job at a fast food franchise and remember to ask if we want fries with that, and smile. Stop trying to fool us into thinking you are an entertainer. And do yourself a favor and admit you're a self-hating "Gay". You'll feel a lot of relief. By the way, you're also fat. Good luck. You'll need it.

tmz@frog.cc

His first name is gay.

TMZ dont like me

Damn, Tracy. Too late now, bro. GLAAD, NBC, and everybody else is about to get in dat ass...

Will E

WOW? This is the most ridicules thing I've ever heard!! Why in the world should he apologize? WHA WHA WHA MY FEELING WERE Hurt. GOT ANOTHER **** I CAN SUCK. If ya want the same right as others ya gotta get used to being made fun of!!!!!

Jj

It would have helped if he was clear about how this "went too far" and "was not funny in any context" - during the actual act itself.

geeker

GRR. i just posted how i thought it would be pointless for him to apologize to anyone for what he believes in, because he clearly believes being gay is wrong.
empty words and a sad attempt to cover his ass (pun intended).

this is just as bad as michael richards, i would like to see morgan take a break from the lime light for a while too.
let's face it, this guy isn't really the best actor.. i see no reason to keep him around. 30R should let him go.

Cartman

Howie, be nice. Calling Tracy gay and fat is bullying.

mannequin

Lick each others wounds and move on now.

tmz@frog.cc

Boycott Gracie Moron!!

Gsharon 710

He is into comedy. Maybe in his heart his apology was because of the choice of words. How in the hell does a fake apology make it ok? You stupid ass groups think you are about to rule the world, but what you are doing is going to be the cause of increase dislike for the gay lifestyle.

A ton of us should get lawyers and demand and sue when gay lovers feel the need to show our children what it is all about in family settings. I mean, how many times in the last few weeks have the gays shouted and dam if higher ups did not hear them.

Gays themselves said there are teens who cannot handle being gay that are killing themselves, so with all this gay demands, DO YOU THINK YOU ARE HELPING TEENS GET LOVE AND TOLERANCE FROM OTHERS? You will be the cause of hate crimes because of your big, fat, cry baby asses.

Rogue Warrior

I said there would be at least two more gay stories before the day is over in the last story. Here is 1 of the 2. Now I'm thinking there will be 3 more today; GLADD, 30 Rock, and the network will all comment and be front and center on TMZ.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments