Morgan Apologizes

My Gay Jokes Were

NOT FUNNY

6/10/2011 9:09 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Tracy Morgan just issued an apology  for the homophobic "jokes" he told during a performance in Nashville last Friday -- saying he "went too far" and his act was "not funny in any context."

Tracy Morgan

In the statement, which Morgan sent to several gay rights groups, the comic says, "I want to apologize to my fans and the gay & lesbian community for my choice of words at my recent stand-up act in Nashville."

He adds, "I'm not a hateful person and don’t condone any kind of violence against others."

"While I am an equal opportunity jokester, and my friends know what is in my heart, even in a comedy club this clearly went too far and was not funny in any context.

As TMZ previously reported, Morgan ignited a firestorm for the homophobic content in his act -- in which he said he would stab his son if he acted gay.

Back in Morgan's "Saturday Night Live" days, the actor starred in a sketch called" Homocil" -- in which he takes pills to "deal" with the fact that his son is gay.

tmz-top-comments
DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

"He apologized for one reason only. He realized he might be in danger of hurting his career. 30 Rock has been slipping anyway. I say fire his ass"

RichInGB RichInGB

Remember when Richard Pryor would drop N bombs on stage, or Eddie Murphy, or whoever in the 70's and 80's? The whole crowd laughed. I bet if Morgan was openly gay, nobody would give a crap. People have become overly PC, IMO. He's a comedian, it's an act.

Marie Marie

Unless Tracy Morgan participates in the gay parade next month then I will accept his apology. Saying he is sorry is not enough.

tmz-top-comments
Paul Paul

"For those who don't get it....being gay isn't "what you are"...it's "who you are"...and what he did was he meant to destroy the core of a persons spirit....so stop saying gays are being too sensitive...it's way deeper than that....if we're "too sensitive" well your just way too shallow for anyone I'd want to know....and I as a gay man never sit around thinking about what other people do in bed..gay bashers do...to me they are the ones that need some serious help..."

Freshlycrown3d Freshlycrown3d

He says crazy off the wall stuff all the time ,why are people act like this is something new its not.

justmyopinion justmyopinion

come ON..this guy isn't even funny, never was..he talks like a 7-year-old who spews out every curse word he knows just to see if he can get a reaction..that's comedy? NOPE. He's lucky he's friends w/Tina Fey--probably the reason he's still on tv.

dOoOshie dOoOshie

...NEWS...FLASH...NEWS...FLASH...NEWS...FLASH... Some people don't like gay people. Some people don't like black people, white people, Christians, Muslims, etc. If you don't like what he says don't listen. Isn't it about time for another Kardashian Nip Slip...

Mike44090 Mike44090

Why is it that people are ready to accept Tracy Morgan's apology but when it was Michael Richards rant against black his career was over, Could it be that gay's are STILL considered second class citizens in this country?

DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

He apologized for one reason only. He realized he might be in danger of hurting his career. 30 Rock has been slipping anyway. I say fire his ass.

DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

RichInGB RichInGB

Marie Marie

Jazmine

Don't ruin comedy by limiting our comedian's freedom. An artist needs space to expand into and norms to challenge. As being gay is most often excepted in society, comedians need to cross the PC line. If they don't humor becomes stagnant. That's the consequence of political correctness. I applaud Tracy Morgan for testing the waters. Lets hope comedians continue to do so and not be intimidated by party-poopers.

Marie

milton sarris 20 hours ago
Its not a question of being funny or not, its about spewing hate. If this was 30 or 40 years ago and a white comedian "joked " that he would kill his son for marrying a black woman would that be funny ?

Racism, homophobia, sexism, xenophobia, it all needs to stop. People need to respect one another and tolerate our differences because God created this world for all of us to live in it happy and free. Heterosexuals have no rights to humiliate homosexuals and tell them to disappear from the face of this planet. If you look at nature it is very diverse. Some animals are hermaphrodites, some are asexuals, some are gays, some are straight. God created gays and straight and nobody has the right to want to destroy what God created. The gays were born that way and they did not choose to be that way. It's like saying black people chose to be born black therefore they deserve to be discriminated against.

Mike

Sorry world, Tracy is right to an extent (Don't kill your kid) but this gay lifestyle! We are force feed this lifestyle everyday.

No harm to anyone, but I don't have to like or accept it.

gay Boy

I thought your gay jokes were funny. They made me laugh until I got a side ache. Gays are nothing but a bunch of morons, sissies and lack any kind of humor. And they are the biggest bullies on the web. They like to gang up on the innocent just to flex their egos. You gay people need to chill!!!!!!!!

theTruth

IT WAS FUNNY. The homosexuals that don't think so are blind and shallow and have no sense of humor(or purpose). Gays choose to talk with lisps and bat their wrists. Not all gays because all of them aren't attention seeking whores. Tracy Morgan is making fun of those gays not decent homosexuals that life their life like everyone else and don't need to tell everyone their sexually. He is right and funny. Comedy is usually funny when its true.

Joe

Really... who gives a **** about him stabbing his son if he turned gay. Thats the thing about comedy... sometimes ITS HILARIOUS when someone says something, to a select few people, then to other people it's completely offensive... either way it's America and there's this fun thing called freedom of speech, so get over yourselves...

Ben

To ALL YOU INBRED, BRAIN-DAMAGED, GHETTO-ASS, REDNECK, PREJUDICED, HATEFUL, MORONIC, SH*THEAD BIBLE-BANGIN', SANCTIMONIOUS, PIOUS, BRAIN-WASHED, IMBECILES WHO ACTUALLY THINK MORGAN IS "FUNNY" AND THAT "WE SHOULD JUST GET OVER OURSELVES" AND THAT "WE'RE ALL TO "SENSITIVE" AND THAT "WE CAN'T TAKE A JOKE", AND THAT THE "WORLD WILL NEVER TAKE US SERIOUSLY" OR THAT "WE'RE GONNA' BURN IN HELL"......YOU STOOOOOOOOPID F*CKS WOULDN'T KNOW BIGOTRY, HATRED, VIOLENCE & MURDER-INCITEFUL SPEWING HATRED IF IT WAS DIRECTLY SPIT IN YOUR FACE.

I SWEAR, I WISH TO F*CK THAT I COULD BEAT THE LIVING **** OUT OF ALL OF YOU WHO THINK WHAT THIS INCOMPREHENSIBLY DUMB M*THERF*CKER SAID WAS ACTUALLY "NO PROBLEM" AND "FUNNY", AND "NO BIG DEAL".

HOW IN THE HELL IS "IF MY SON TOLD ME HE WAS GAY, I'D STAB HIM TO DEATH" FUNNY, OR ACCEPTABLE, OR COMEDIC, OR ENTERTAINING IN ANY POSSIBLE WAY WHAT SO EVER?!?!?!?!?!?

FIRE HIS WORTHLESS, GHETTO-ASS, TALENTLESS, HATEFUL, HOMOPHOBIC, BRAIN-DEAD, REPEAT TALENTLESS ASS FROM 30 ROCK AND HOLLYWOOD IN IT'S ENTIRETY, NOW!!!

Sage Lee

Seriously, I hate you guys.

willow16

wow it was a ****en joke people if u didnt find it funny thats ur ****... he has the right to say what ever he wants were in the USA people its called the first amendment freedom of speech if u dont like what he said dont listen...

DEZ

MAN THERE ISN'T ANYTHING WRONG WITH WHAT TRACY MORGAN SAID CAUSE ITS TRUE GAYS ARE SENSITIVE AND IF A ****** CAN TAKE A **** YOU CAN TAKE A JOKE ******* AND DYKES DONT DESERVE TO BE HERE WITH THE STRAIGHT POPULATION I MEAN REALLY LAST I CHECKED GOD CREATED MAN AND WOMAN NOT TWO ******* OR TWO DYKES **** YA'LL IT WAS **** AND ***** THATS THE RIGHT WAY AND ONLY WAY IT SHOULD BE. ALSO HOW THE HELL ******* AND DYKES GOING TO SAY THEY WERE BORN THAT WAY MOTHER****** PLEASE BEING GAY IS A ******* CHOICE YA'LL ARE AN ABOMINATION TO THE ******* HUMAN RACE **** ******* AND DYKES

coco

as many times as Tracy has played a gay character on screen..no one should think he's against gays.. shoot he was even a booty poppin fruit hat wearing male bulldog in Rio...

dianna

Its funny how SOME of these punk white folks talk stuff on blogs in the comefort of there own home to make them selves look good online haha smh. losers.
SOME white folks act like being gay is not a sin.
Some of you all bloggers need to get a life.
You all complaining about he shouldnt talk about gays and hate him for what he said, you are the same people that dont even donate for AIDS/HIV research you aswipes

nick

I'm willing to bet 90% of the retarded replies to this are coming from straight white men who know nothing about discrimination.

FelixTC

get over it, he's a comedian and that's it. If don't want to accept the apology, then don'*****ch him anymore. Move on...

mag

He is a comedian for god sake's. Gay's need to learn how to take a joke. So it's ok for Tracy to joke about everything else except gays. I don't think so. Gay's remember if you want equality in marrige and all you should be able to take a joke aswell.