Morgan Apologizes

My Gay Jokes Were

NOT FUNNY

6/10/2011 9:09 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Tracy Morgan just issued an apology  for the homophobic "jokes" he told during a performance in Nashville last Friday -- saying he "went too far" and his act was "not funny in any context."

Tracy Morgan

In the statement, which Morgan sent to several gay rights groups, the comic says, "I want to apologize to my fans and the gay & lesbian community for my choice of words at my recent stand-up act in Nashville."

He adds, "I'm not a hateful person and don’t condone any kind of violence against others."

"While I am an equal opportunity jokester, and my friends know what is in my heart, even in a comedy club this clearly went too far and was not funny in any context.

As TMZ previously reported, Morgan ignited a firestorm for the homophobic content in his act -- in which he said he would stab his son if he acted gay.

Back in Morgan's "Saturday Night Live" days, the actor starred in a sketch called" Homocil" -- in which he takes pills to "deal" with the fact that his son is gay.

tmz-top-comments
DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

"He apologized for one reason only. He realized he might be in danger of hurting his career. 30 Rock has been slipping anyway. I say fire his ass"

RichInGB RichInGB

Remember when Richard Pryor would drop N bombs on stage, or Eddie Murphy, or whoever in the 70's and 80's? The whole crowd laughed. I bet if Morgan was openly gay, nobody would give a crap. People have become overly PC, IMO. He's a comedian, it's an act.

Marie Marie

Unless Tracy Morgan participates in the gay parade next month then I will accept his apology. Saying he is sorry is not enough.

tmz-top-comments
Paul Paul

"For those who don't get it....being gay isn't "what you are"...it's "who you are"...and what he did was he meant to destroy the core of a persons spirit....so stop saying gays are being too sensitive...it's way deeper than that....if we're "too sensitive" well your just way too shallow for anyone I'd want to know....and I as a gay man never sit around thinking about what other people do in bed..gay bashers do...to me they are the ones that need some serious help..."

Freshlycrown3d Freshlycrown3d

He says crazy off the wall stuff all the time ,why are people act like this is something new its not.

justmyopinion justmyopinion

come ON..this guy isn't even funny, never was..he talks like a 7-year-old who spews out every curse word he knows just to see if he can get a reaction..that's comedy? NOPE. He's lucky he's friends w/Tina Fey--probably the reason he's still on tv.

dOoOshie dOoOshie

...NEWS...FLASH...NEWS...FLASH...NEWS...FLASH... Some people don't like gay people. Some people don't like black people, white people, Christians, Muslims, etc. If you don't like what he says don't listen. Isn't it about time for another Kardashian Nip Slip...

Mike44090 Mike44090

Why is it that people are ready to accept Tracy Morgan's apology but when it was Michael Richards rant against black his career was over, Could it be that gay's are STILL considered second class citizens in this country?

DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

He apologized for one reason only. He realized he might be in danger of hurting his career. 30 Rock has been slipping anyway. I say fire his ass.

DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

RichInGB RichInGB

Marie Marie

kyle

Why is everyone so afraid of upsetting the gays? We don't get upset every time someone used the lords name in vain!by the way if "white" people protested, rallied, & threatened to boycot & sue every comedian that made fun of the way that
"whites" dance, talk, or even act then there would be no such thing as a "Black" comedian! Get over yourselves! By the way, I'll bet you all laughed your asses off when he talked about his drug addict uncle! That's B.S., addicts have feelings & rights too! Tracy, keep making us laugh & keep it real. that is why we pay to see you!

Marie

Mike 24 hours ago
Sorry world, Tracy is right to an extent... We are force feed this lifestyle everyday. I don't have to like or accept it.

When an earthquake or a hurricane happens mother nature does not spare the heterosexuals and kill the gays. Everybody goes down. Just to show you that mother nature does not discriminate. So I don't understand what is the point of discriminating one another if we are all going to die one day. When you die and they put you at the public morgue are you going to object that you don't want a gay corpse next to yours, Mike? Only because you are alive that you can hate and discriminate. When you are dead all your hate and intolerance will die with you.

Ron

In a statement to TMZ, Tina said she's glad Tracy apologized -- but explained, "The violent imagery of Tracy's rant was disturbing to me at a time when homophobic hate crimes continue to be a life-threatening issue for the GLBT Community."

Fey continued, "It also doesn't line up with the Tracy Morgan I know, who is not a hateful man and is generally much too sleepy and self-centered to ever hurt another person.

"I hope for his sake that Tracy's apology will be accepted as sincere by his gay and lesbian co-workers at '30 Rock', without whom Tracy would not have lines to say, clothes to wear, sets to stand on, scene partners to act with, or a printed-out paycheck from accounting to put in his pocket."

NBC Chairman Bob Greenblatt claims the network has warned Morgan about the incident -- saying, "Tracy’s comments reflect negatively on both '30 Rock' and NBC – two very all-inclusive and diverse organizations – and we have made it clear to him that this kind of behavior will not be tolerated."

annice

I'm from NASHVILLE and i say it was all in fun. Gay's have been critizied since the beginning of time. Gay People know when they decide to "Come Out" what the consequenses are. I say chalk it up!!! EVERY BODY has an opinion EVERYBODY is NOT down with the Gay's, EVERYBODY is not down with Interracial Marriages etc... get over it!!! You will be CRITIZIED!! you know this that's why you hide or stay in the closet for this very reason. Who's to say if it's right or wrong BUT it will always be this way. If you can't take it stay out of the public!!

Marie

annice 8 hours ago

The gays don't have to live in fear and with shame in their hearts just because this society says so. Remember that decades ago society said that black people were animals and should be treated as slaves. And that women were second class citizens who had no rights to vote. The black people and the women fought for their civil rights and now society has learned to respect them. The same with the gays. Thay should fight for their rights until society accepts them as normal people.

Nick

If anyone is pissed about this they are retarded. Seriously people, its ******* comedy. Everyone gets made fun of. Settle the **** down.

Nick Benson Sr

The only thing he did wrong was his Kobe / Obama style apology to the whiners from broke wrist mtn.

Nick Benson Sr

mike44090: that really pisses me off when people treat gays like second class citizen, I mean after all, who elevated them to second class, I don't believe they are citizens at all, slimy aids spreaders, but not citizens.

NOTa STARJONESsupporter!

Tracy, STOP APOLOGIZING! GOD does NOT sanction gay marriage! He created male and female to procreate (i.e. produce children). Anything else is an abomination!

Why is no one saying that people who make disingenious remarks about black people should go around the country apologizing to the black race? What about some apologies to the Indian race and the hispanic race? Huh? Huh? HUH?????

Rob

Ten years ago the message was "AIDS bad!" Nowadays you don't hear about Aids, You just hear about how everyone is supposed to accept all the homosexuals who spread the disease.

Nothingchanges

This type of predujice is not new for Tracy Morgan. He is one of those celebrities who just cannot keep hi*****e to himself. I am sorry for him.

Nothingchanges

He is not sorry, he has done this before many times. He is a true hater, and I feel sorry for him.

hunter

@Mike44090......gays are a second class citizen. they dont deserve the rights straight people get! Period.

stan

TRACY MORGAN IS HILARIOUS NOT TO SOME BUT TO MANY. HENCE WHY HES ON TELEVISION AND MOVIES AND YOUR NOT!HE MADE A JOKE THAT WENT TO FAR AN APOLOGIZED WHICH HE DIDNT HAVE TO , HE'S A DAMN COMEDIAN! YOU ******* PEOPLE HAVE NO LIVES BUT TO COMPLAIN .**** GAY PEOPLE AND ******TRAIGHT PEOPLE, ALL THIS **** IS ANNOYING .

Yomama!

Tracy is one funy dude. Its what he does and if you dont like it turn the MF channel. Being gay is what you are!!!!!you choose it, god or your parents didnt choose it for you and you didnt inherited it!!!!!