Morgan Apologizes

My Gay Jokes Were

NOT FUNNY

6/10/2011 9:09 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Tracy Morgan just issued an apology  for the homophobic "jokes" he told during a performance in Nashville last Friday -- saying he "went too far" and his act was "not funny in any context."

Tracy Morgan

In the statement, which Morgan sent to several gay rights groups, the comic says, "I want to apologize to my fans and the gay & lesbian community for my choice of words at my recent stand-up act in Nashville."

He adds, "I'm not a hateful person and don’t condone any kind of violence against others."

"While I am an equal opportunity jokester, and my friends know what is in my heart, even in a comedy club this clearly went too far and was not funny in any context.

As TMZ previously reported, Morgan ignited a firestorm for the homophobic content in his act -- in which he said he would stab his son if he acted gay.

Back in Morgan's "Saturday Night Live" days, the actor starred in a sketch called" Homocil" -- in which he takes pills to "deal" with the fact that his son is gay.

tmz-top-comments
DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

"He apologized for one reason only. He realized he might be in danger of hurting his career. 30 Rock has been slipping anyway. I say fire his ass"

RichInGB RichInGB

Remember when Richard Pryor would drop N bombs on stage, or Eddie Murphy, or whoever in the 70's and 80's? The whole crowd laughed. I bet if Morgan was openly gay, nobody would give a crap. People have become overly PC, IMO. He's a comedian, it's an act.

Marie Marie

Unless Tracy Morgan participates in the gay parade next month then I will accept his apology. Saying he is sorry is not enough.

tmz-top-comments
Paul Paul

"For those who don't get it....being gay isn't "what you are"...it's "who you are"...and what he did was he meant to destroy the core of a persons spirit....so stop saying gays are being too sensitive...it's way deeper than that....if we're "too sensitive" well your just way too shallow for anyone I'd want to know....and I as a gay man never sit around thinking about what other people do in bed..gay bashers do...to me they are the ones that need some serious help..."

Freshlycrown3d Freshlycrown3d

He says crazy off the wall stuff all the time ,why are people act like this is something new its not.

justmyopinion justmyopinion

come ON..this guy isn't even funny, never was..he talks like a 7-year-old who spews out every curse word he knows just to see if he can get a reaction..that's comedy? NOPE. He's lucky he's friends w/Tina Fey--probably the reason he's still on tv.

dOoOshie dOoOshie

...NEWS...FLASH...NEWS...FLASH...NEWS...FLASH... Some people don't like gay people. Some people don't like black people, white people, Christians, Muslims, etc. If you don't like what he says don't listen. Isn't it about time for another Kardashian Nip Slip...

Mike44090 Mike44090

Why is it that people are ready to accept Tracy Morgan's apology but when it was Michael Richards rant against black his career was over, Could it be that gay's are STILL considered second class citizens in this country?

DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

He apologized for one reason only. He realized he might be in danger of hurting his career. 30 Rock has been slipping anyway. I say fire his ass.

DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

RichInGB RichInGB

Marie Marie

texasknight1

Learn tolerance

Anon

Tracy:

You are a hateful person. You've ruined 30 Rock for me. Tell Tina Fey I'm sorry and I'll watch her on SNL and anything else she does. Hopefully she'll kick you to the curb. I'm pretty sure Tina is too smart to every be this way, much less talk this way or encourage hate or violence against someone because you don't like how they were born.

Mork12

he pussed out

lil harvey

He without sin, cast the first stone.

BarrysConspiracyWorld

It seems that Tracy really pulled a boner.

Logan R

What a bunch of hypocrites. You demand an apology and then when you get it you complain that it's not heartfelt or sincere. No wonder the world doesn't take you seriously.

Chad

As a gay man, I am sickened by his comments. Maybe moreso, because he uses his own son as an example of hi*****red.

LoudMouth

The fact that he is backing down and apologizing is sad. The day is coming when there will be no more comedy acts in this country. There will be nothing left that will be safe to joke about. He is a comedian, not a politician or your kids 3rd grade teacher. If you don't like the joke, no one is making you laugh. But to demand an apology? Stop with this political correct crap. No religions, no ethnic groups, the elderly, the young animals. Everyone has their own special interest group with NO sense of humor. There is no one that heard his jokes at that event that had a light bulb go off in their head and suddenly thought it was okay to start attacking gays. If you're adult enough to go see his act, you should be adult enough to not take yourself so seriously. Pretty soon all that will be left to joke about will be traffic lights and garbage cans, until they get organized and form a special interest group.

If sense were common everyone would have it.

It's amusing that the same people that love *irreverent* comedy - those that spew it & those that embrace it - get their feathers ruffled when it turns around & bites them in the a**. It's not news that comedians vomit their own opinions on society, politics, & religion under the guise of *comedy*. It's the rare true comic these days that can still be reverent & respectful & still be funny. This guys's just another hateful *comic* who gets people to pay for his crap.

Leslie E. Allen

Child Protective Services should be called. How can he excuse saying he would cause him to his son. I thought saying such a thing was a crime. Now if his son does happen to be gay, he will likely commit suicide!!!!

Tony

First all gay people don't lisp, maybe you should try talking to one (you probably already have and don't realize it). Your comment, at best, makes you sound uninformed, at worst an ingnorant a-hole..
Comics write their jokes from their point-of-view and personal opinions, even if it's to lampoon the opposite.
His anger makes me wonder if his son isn't actually gay and may be in danger. For his kid's sake, I hope Child Protective Services investigates him.

Trevis Miho

Uh oh - Tracy Morgan got the gay community heated? You know what this means, right? Tracy's about to get a gay man pregnant!

Trevis Miho

...oh, and Tracy: you did NOT ruin 30Rock, you contributed in making it what it is.

Trevis Miho

Tracy, not everybody thinks you're a hateful person. Yea, I think it's obvious that you apologized because of the backlash, but this will not effect your career as a comedian. You are entertaining as hell, and funny as sh%t. You don't belong in a fast food franchise, so remember, those who say you do - make sure they put those fries in your bag before you drive off from where THEY work at. Do us a favor and crack some jokes about these fools who feel they have every reason to cast the 1st stone. Good luck, but I don't feel you truly need it.

ron

SINCE TRACY IS BLACK DOES HE GET A PASS THAT MICHAEL RICHARDS DID NOT ?? WILL 30 ROCK FIRE HIM ?