Morgan Apologizes

My Gay Jokes Were

NOT FUNNY

6/10/2011 9:09 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Tracy Morgan just issued an apology  for the homophobic "jokes" he told during a performance in Nashville last Friday -- saying he "went too far" and his act was "not funny in any context."

Tracy Morgan

In the statement, which Morgan sent to several gay rights groups, the comic says, "I want to apologize to my fans and the gay & lesbian community for my choice of words at my recent stand-up act in Nashville."

He adds, "I'm not a hateful person and don’t condone any kind of violence against others."

"While I am an equal opportunity jokester, and my friends know what is in my heart, even in a comedy club this clearly went too far and was not funny in any context.

As TMZ previously reported, Morgan ignited a firestorm for the homophobic content in his act -- in which he said he would stab his son if he acted gay.

Back in Morgan's "Saturday Night Live" days, the actor starred in a sketch called" Homocil" -- in which he takes pills to "deal" with the fact that his son is gay.

tmz-top-comments
DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

"He apologized for one reason only. He realized he might be in danger of hurting his career. 30 Rock has been slipping anyway. I say fire his ass"

RichInGB RichInGB

Remember when Richard Pryor would drop N bombs on stage, or Eddie Murphy, or whoever in the 70's and 80's? The whole crowd laughed. I bet if Morgan was openly gay, nobody would give a crap. People have become overly PC, IMO. He's a comedian, it's an act.

Marie Marie

Unless Tracy Morgan participates in the gay parade next month then I will accept his apology. Saying he is sorry is not enough.

tmz-top-comments
Paul Paul

"For those who don't get it....being gay isn't "what you are"...it's "who you are"...and what he did was he meant to destroy the core of a persons spirit....so stop saying gays are being too sensitive...it's way deeper than that....if we're "too sensitive" well your just way too shallow for anyone I'd want to know....and I as a gay man never sit around thinking about what other people do in bed..gay bashers do...to me they are the ones that need some serious help..."

Freshlycrown3d Freshlycrown3d

He says crazy off the wall stuff all the time ,why are people act like this is something new its not.

justmyopinion justmyopinion

come ON..this guy isn't even funny, never was..he talks like a 7-year-old who spews out every curse word he knows just to see if he can get a reaction..that's comedy? NOPE. He's lucky he's friends w/Tina Fey--probably the reason he's still on tv.

dOoOshie dOoOshie

...NEWS...FLASH...NEWS...FLASH...NEWS...FLASH... Some people don't like gay people. Some people don't like black people, white people, Christians, Muslims, etc. If you don't like what he says don't listen. Isn't it about time for another Kardashian Nip Slip...

Mike44090 Mike44090

Why is it that people are ready to accept Tracy Morgan's apology but when it was Michael Richards rant against black his career was over, Could it be that gay's are STILL considered second class citizens in this country?

DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

He apologized for one reason only. He realized he might be in danger of hurting his career. 30 Rock has been slipping anyway. I say fire his ass.

DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

RichInGB RichInGB

Marie Marie

LonnieB

So sandy and all the other poor offended hyper-sensitive type accept his appology.
Well isn't that special? He appologized to you, personally, huh? He wasn't back-peddling to salvage his career, was he? Oh no...he was losing slepp over your delicate feelings.
Yeah....right! How arrogant!

If you want society to "get over" your "gayness", you should start by getting over yourself.
You ain't all that and a bag of chips, sweetie!

LB

Freedom of Speech, there was no reason to apologize. Coward.

Mork12

JesusChristgivesyoutheanswer 13 minutes ago

These jokes were not jokes, these comments were not intended to be funny. Homosexuality is a choice because in Jesus Christ you can be delivered 100% from gay. Homosexuality is very serious, Homosexuality is punishable under God's Holy Law in an eternity of unquenchable torment and fire

christovercame@aol.com
----------------
So then, was Tracy casting his pearls before swine?

Jodi

I firmly believe this was done, on purpose, to get publicity. If Tracy knew his gay jokes were not funny why did he do them in the first place? He knew what the reaction would be and the publicity he would get behind it.

Tristan

First off, Tracy is not a comedian. he is just loud, annoying, and obnoxious.
He is using his "comedy" to state his personal beliefs then saying they were "jokes" just to cover his ass. He should just stop being a little *itch, and man up to his own beliefs and opinions.

frank

I don't believe TM would be where he is in his career if he was a total homophobe....He's a comedian, and that part of his act just didn't work....Lisa Lampanelli says horrible things about everyone, but it's a different act and in a different context. I'm gay and a big fan of her's. Tracy's not that kind of comedian, and really IMO not all that funny anyway....

Jay

Tracy Morgan should be fired from 30 Rock. Despite what he says in his "apology," he IS a hateful person. He has gone off on homophobic rants before. To think it is acceptable to call for violence against gay people and to joke about stabbing his own gay son is beyond the pale.

dave

there's gay jokes and then there's flat out stupidity, We all like a good gay joke every now and then but when you use the words "stab my $%^& son" and "gays are ******* whining about the insignificance of bullying" then your pretty hard up for some attention. Maybe if your son WAS gay and bullied every day you might wake up, grow up and face reality. Jokes are funny but you ARE NOT.

joeyo

i agree with morgans comment "then they can take a joke" gays are tough they gotta be tuff to do what they do,well one thing i know for sure is they are tougher than me.

SantaFeJack

The Homocil commercial was funny. Saying you would stab you son if he acted gay is not. Apology, no matter how coerced it was, accepted. But I still hope 30 Rock fires his a**.

Craig

Oh come on, people. Tracy doesn't deserve to get fired from 30 Rock, nor should he be shipped to another planet or some of the other crazy sh** you people are proposing. Did Tracy take it too far and fail to deliver it in a way people could find the humor in? Sure. But Tracy's schtick is going too far/being really out there. So do you hate Will Ferrell because he was in that homocil video? IT'S COMEDY. Nobody - including Tracy - is condoning violence against gays, just like the SNL folks weren't promoting the use of drugs to cope with the fact that your kid is gay. It's parody. Satire. And apparently most Americans are too f**ing stupid to get that.

whatevs

Right. That was one of the most insincere apologies I've ever heard.
People who are NOT hateful don't spew garbage like that. Let alone going on and on like he did. Even for publicity.
The core of his beliefs is crystal clear. He lacks integrity and he is without a shadow of a doubt, homophobic. Period.
I'd laugh if he got black-(...er, I mean African American) listed in Hollywood...but he won't.

dave

BYE 30 rock.....

dave

I think the gays can handle it but leave the kids alone and stop being such a loooooser. Liked your show but not anymore.....

M

Please NOTE that he ONLY APOLOGIZED when the nature of his routine went PUBLIC.... this happened DAYS AGO!!! He had PLENTY of time to apologize... and only did it when it was going to affect his bottom dollar!!! He FAILS as a HUMAN BEING!!!