« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

USC Suspends RB Marc Tyler Over TMZ Video

7/18/2011 12:49 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

USC running back Marc Tyler has been suspended by head coach Lane Kiffin for comments he made to TMZ last week in which he insinuated the university PAYS its football players.

0718_lane_marc_BN

Tyler insists he was "joking" outside of Voyeur nightclub in Hollywood Thursday night when he told our cameras, "USC ... they breakin' bread!"

Kiffin just released a statement saying, "I was very disappointed when I learned of Marc Tyler's inappropriate comments that were captured by the media last week. That is not the way that we expect our players to represent USC and our team."

He added, "I have consulted with athletic director Pat Haden and I am suspending Marc for our upcoming season opener and potentially further, and in the meantime I am also suspending him from all team activities.071811_marc_tyler_v3_still"

"Although Marc may find this punishment severe, it is imperative we continue to have a high standard for player behavior.  Marc needs to work hard to show us that he can meet the standards of being a USC football player."

We spoke to Lane Kiffin last night in L.A. -- but he had no comment.

Tyler has also issued an apology ... saying, "I am disappointed that I let down all the people who have supported me as I have been working through some personal issues."

He continued, "I realize how my behavior and my statements, even though I was joking, can reflect poorly on so many people ... I accept my punishment and I regret that I will miss the opening game of my senior year. "

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Tony C

My hats off to Lane Kiffin! Great job.

gary

When is USC going to realize that this punk is trouble. He punches guys for no reason, spits on women and has no respect for the fellow human being. Kiffin and Hayden should get away from this embarrassment before they get stung.

If sense were common everyone would have it.

Not the first time some big dumb drunk douchebag shot their mouths off, won't be the last. USC made the correct call.

LOL

So are you telling me that being a dumb ass drunk doofus in public doesn't pay off?!!?!?

Bobby

This is Certainly warranted and would happen at any college in the US involving a athlete making stupid comments (or tweets).. Was underage drinking or public drunkedness (beyond the inappropriate comments) involved as well. Good move by the coach.

big ball

this is just postering... If you want to be tough make sure the kids follow the rules, get an education and stay out of trouble.. Not this crap, or drunk adolesent bickering..

Easy to be tough with that..

Damon

Should Kim K sue because he said she was part of "the deal"?

He was obviously joking and Lane kiffin is tha last person to reprimand questionable behavior!

CCC

That's what you get, Son. Have a few drinks, say some stupid stuff about USC to TMZ paps...BAM!! Suspended! With the problems USC is having concerning money and payoffs, I predicted he would get a few days off if it got back to the coach or other USC heads. His friends that were with him tried to stop him from saying what he did, but it was too late. Already on tape and ready to hit the air waves. Think twice next time, MT.

justme

must be some truth to it....most drunk people don't tell lies.
if they did it for reggie bush...

Adam B.

"Marc needs to work hard to show us that he can meet the standards of being a USC football player." HAHAHA!!! That is funny. What standards Kiffin?!?!

Kathy

I saw the original clip on TMZ TV--didn't look like he was kidding, and then his friend tried to take him away from the camera--he looked like he was hiding something, maybe the truth.

He should be suspended and they should investigate his statements.

Bleak

This is what happens when you run your mouth too much!

en Todo Momento!!

well at least he's not losing any money then!!!

SSinOC

I'd be willing to bet there's some truth to it and USC is just trying to snuff him out. All the teams have probably got something going on? There's too much money involved for it to be squeaky clean. It's just harder to trace these days. In the meantime they'll just shut him up and set an example for anyone else that starts blabbing.

kp

That is not fair,
the kid was drunk so he thought he was being funny and making noise,
if the school is that wigged out about it what does it say about the school.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments