'Idol' Creator: I Should Get Credit for X Factor!

7/20/2011 9:52 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

"American Idol" creator Simon Fuller is suing Fox Broadcasting and Fremantle -- the powers behind Simon Cowell's new show, "The X Factor," claiming they screwed him out of an Executive Producer credit as well as big fees.

0720_simon_xfactor_BN

Fuller filed a legal complaint, and his publicist told Deadline.com that Fox and Fremantle refused to honor a 2005 contract that Fuller claims gave him both the title and the cash.

Here's the interesting backstory.  Simon Fuller and Simon Cowell hate each other.  The bad blood started over who got the creative credit for "A.I." and it has been building ever since.

UPDATE: FOX and Fremantle have released a joint statement -- saying, "Mr. Fuller has not been hired, nor performed any duties, on the U.S. version of "The X Factor."

The statement continues, "His suit seeks payment and credit as an executive producer despite his neither having been approved by the required parties, nor hired, as such. We believe this lawsuit is without merit and we expect to prevail."

soulwisper

will i dont know about these shows but i love american idol with JLO and i love the voice with christina,for x factor i am not fan of simon or paula or nicol but i know it may be a huge hit

Meanie

Isn't it always fun to watch people who blood suck their millions of the backs of others (the contestants)... and then turn on each other. Karma :)

EarthAngel

@phlat toes: WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :0

billy cema

I hope they don't fix the finals of "X Factor", as they do "American Idol". AI has become "The Country Music Idol".

MyOpinionOnly

Quite obvious that Simon C doesn't like to share the fame and especially doesn't want to share fame after Idol. I hated JLo on Idol, liked Steven, but like others, think its jumped the shark. Simon has made me actually NOT want to tune into the X factor and have no plans too. Seriously...bringing BACK that nutjob Paula? Canning Cheryl Cole on BOTH? Bringing in that boring, snotty conceited beyotch Nicole? Yeah, you done f'ed this show up before it even goes on. Personally I think Simon needs to go back across the pond for awhile.

Kathy

Simon Fuller is making himself look very bad. He's had the #1 show for years with American Idol and made more money than he can spend in his lifetime. But the XFactor is Simon Cowell's...he's put everything he can into it. SF has done NOTHING, has invested NOTHING, and deserves NOTHING.

asdf

Howard Stern invented this in Detroit in the 80's he had wannabe singers audition for record execs on air.

Jeanne Tutt

Come on, you know Simon C didn't play fairly or nicely in the sandbox why would he start now? Simon F is just upset because he knows his AI is about to crumble and it won't be due to X since that won't get off the ground. Y'all realize right that Simon F has been actually deciding the winner of AI? Look back through the years... the most popular that would sell more comes in 2nd starting with Clay Aiken!

Greg

When I was at school I organized a talent show, but I don't have my name in the credits nor do I get any money (it was a brand new idea in 1989....honest).

I'm not upset or jealous.

ps to FOX. I will except the cash, forget the name in the credits as I don't like to be associated with failure. Cheers.

gthomasi

This are just 2 big egos who are going after each other for personal reasons. As another poster pointed out correctly this idea has been around before the age of reality tv...

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2