'America' Singer Dan Peek -- Dead at 60

7/27/2011 6:15 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Dan Peek -- famous for his high harmony vocals on "A Horse with No Name" with the 1970's band "America" -- died in his Missouri home on Sunday ... this according to the singer's father.

Dan Peek Dead

Peek was found dead in his bed by his wife. An autopsy has been scheduled to determine the cause of death.

"America's" most famous songs include "Tin Man", "Sister Golden Hair", "Daisy Jane", and "Lonely People".

Peek left the band in 1977 and became a Contemporary Christian Music artist.

He was 60.

UPDATE: The St. Francis County Coroner says Peek died from severe heart disease and an enlarged heart.

Teacher's Pet

I love all the music from the band America. RIP Dan!

Canadasux

This is truely sad. "America" was a fantastic "mello rock" band, back in the day, that put out hit after hit. Glad Dan Peak became a Christian. But, after that point, he went into obscurity. Haven't really heard anything about him in 30 years.

Lemonade

awwwwww.....really, this is sad news.

the Seeker

"OZ never did give nothin to the tinman that he didn't already have"

Carol

@Rock Singer... "get it right," yourself! The word is "memories," not "memoirs," unless the man left us journals or books with his memories.

SECOND... the article does NOT say he wrote the songs. It says, "famous for his high harmony vocals."

DOES ANYONE KNOW...is he related to guitarist Billy Peek, who also lives in the St. Louis area?

nee nee

He's not the lead singer on HWNN either ; it's Dewey Bunnel

Carl

Sorry to hear he died before his time. I always thought Neil Young was the singer on "Horse With No Name", so I guess I learned something today!

starselynn

Aww. This song brings great memories. My son was OBSESSED with the song Horse With No Name when he was 3. And so was his 1 year old sister. R.I.P.

Carrie

The lead singer of the Grassroots, Rob Grill, also died this month on July 12th. Grill was 67. Among the Grassroots best known songs: “Let’s Live for Today,” “Midnight Confessions,” “Temptation Eyes” and “Two Divided by Love.”

cjs

I remember that song so well, it was all over am radio in the day.

jetfanglo

this is from "all the lonely people"..........godspeed...thanx

Michelle

It seems we are loosing a lot of talent lately. May he rest in peace. We all love a Horse with no name, it's running in my head now. We will miss him.

Greg

Wow, I had to listen to their Greatest Hits today, and boy they had some teriffic songs. Ventura Highway is amazing. Sorry to say the days of three guys and three guitars seems to be ancient history. RIP.

Kabala

Is Zsa Zsa next? Unlikely - she'll probably be on Dancing with the Stars in 5 years.

So So Man

This is such a sad story. When I first heard about this on www.radiomusic.com I didn't really believe until now on Tmz.com

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments