« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

U.S. Skier's Heartbreaking 911

"I'm Gonna Kill Myself"

7/28/2011 2:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

** WARNING -- THE 911 TAPE IS EXTREMELY EMOTIONAL AND VERY SAD **

Jeret Peterson 911 Call
U.S. Olympic
skier Jeret "Speedy" Peterson called 911 moments before he committed suicide Monday ... and while fighting back tears, the 29-year-old told the operator, "I'm going to kill myself."

Peterson then gave his location to the operator and said, "I want police to come get the body." He then hung up the phone.

Cops in Summit County, Utah responded to the spot where Peterson said he would be ... and found the skier's body "obviously deceased from what appeared to be a gunshot wound to the head."

According to the police report, obtained by TMZ, Peterson left a suicide note ... but cops are not releasing it to the public.

Peterson was one of the best freestyle skiers in the world. He competed in 3 Olympics for the U.S.  ... winning a silver medal in Vancouver in 2010.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Marie

It's very sad to hear his voice for the last time over the phone saying he was going to kill himself. He was crying at the same time. May God have pity on his soul. I feel sorry for his friends and family.

2idiots

Why would TMZ find it appropriate to publish the last phone call made by a deeply depressed man who took his own life BUT won't publish the Mel Gibson calls where he was screaming at his girlfriend about *********s and threatening to kill her?

iluvpoms

I hope his family sues TMZ for posting this. Disgraceful!

Brittany

TMZ... WOW! This is unbelievable. I have been with you guys since you started and have always been supportive of this site. Posting this is sickening, disturbing and WRONG! I don't mind when you post 911 call's of celebs being stupid or getting in trouble but this is SOMEONE'S LIFE! I can't believe you would post something so inapropriate for a celeb GOSSIP website. Keep doing things like this and I will not ever view your site or watch your show again. SICK..

Brittany

Oh and one more thing... @ Commenters Kevin and Veronica.. GO F*** yourselves!

Aaron

Please take this down. I didn't listen to it and no one else should either. My brother-in-law killed himself 20 years ago, the family never recovers. So please, out of respect for the family, take this down.

Sidney

What heartless jerks TMZ is to post this! It is not necessary to have this on your page or anywhere else. GROW UP and if your gonna be journalist do it with some integrity!

Sidney

I will never watch TMZ again. I watched from the beginning and your stories SUCK your staff is immature and complete morons! SHAME ON YOU FOR POSTING THIS! Harvey is a S*** bag and along with my protest from TMZ....I'll no longer watch Peoples Court on my days off! GET SOME INTEGRITY! I hope you loose all sponsorship for your program and you go off the air!!!!!!!

HaveSome

I don't care what the situation. Killing yourself is the most cowardly way to go. While you may see it as an escape, you are being selfish. The people who you are leaving are destroyed by this and you have thought NOTHING of them, or their feelings.

coroy

TAKE THIS DOWN TMZ!!!!!!!!!

Disgusted

Please have some respect for this man and those who grieve his death. Remove this call. This is not entertainment! My father killed himself last year and the thought of his last moments being posted to satisfy curiosity of the public is disgusting and heart wrenching. IF THIS WAS YOUR LOVED ONE WOULD YOU WANT THIS ONLINE? Not that I expected TMZ to act from a place of human compassion and responsibility but you posted this and didn't bother to link to a suicide prevention or informational website? They don't give a damn about our society or the well being of people.

Jessica

This should not be posted!!!

MAS

I just called the 888 number and yet again pleaded to take this post. The girl stated they have had 100's of complaints. Please have some respect for family, friends and most of all Jeret and take this horrific post down

carol

How incredibly insensitive....

bophus

911 tapes become public property. That is why it is posted. The news plays them all the time. If he didnt want this to be available for the public, he should have just left a note.

I dont feel bad for those whom commit suicide. They took the easy way out. You might disagree, but it is easier to end it than continue to deal with your problems.