Cha Cha from 'Grease'

DEAD AT 63

8/4/2011 9:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Annette Charles Death
Annette Charles -- who played Cha Cha in the 1978 movie "Grease" -- died last night in her Los Angeles home ... her rep tells TMZ.

Her rep tells us, she passed away due to complications from cancer.

The family is planning to release a full statement within the next 24 hours. Annette was 63.

A family member tells us, "Annette had recently started having difficulty breathing ... and when she went to the doctor she learned that she had a cancerous tumor in one of her lungs."

We're told doctors only learned about her condition a few months ago.

Annette Charles

Chris St Mary

So sad. Another part of my youth passes on. R.I.P. Annette.

rhonda

I really feel for her family, Cancer and tumors are such sneeky things. I lost my mother to cancer after only 3 and a half months after finding out.. My condolences to cha cha's family. I know exactly what they are going through.My thoughts and prayors are with you...R.I.P Cha Cha.

Lisa O

I LOVE Grease and still watch it with my children to this day! My thoughts and prayers to the family as you heal through this loss knowing that Ms. Charles left a legacy, that will live on for a long time! May she rest in peace!

patardugno

I thought she was fantastic, her dancing!! She played her role in Grease perfectly!! It's shocking to find out she passed away so young!

Bob

RIP! She was beautiful!

whateverhomewrecker

I love that movie. I remember getting a grease record album one year for christmas. I tossed my new baby dolls & barbies aside, thought I hit the jack pot! We loved to hate you Cha Cha:) RIP pretty Annette. Cancer sucks:(

gwen

So sad! My uncle passed from lung cancer 8 months after his diagnosis. It's a horrible, fast spreading cancer. My condolences to her family and friends.

Barbarascy

NO! Not Cha Cha! RIP Annette.

Jenna

Met her a few months back at a convention during a Grease sing-a-long and Jeff Conaway was there as well and now they are gone. She was a very sweet woman. RIP Annette

oralalex

I Am Soooo Sad and Shocked to Read this!! I Loved Grease and Her Portrayal of Cha Cha de Gregorio; Priceless! So Sad~
Alex!

Butterfly

I am so very, very sorry to read about Annette's passing. Rest in Peace, beautiful lady, Rest in Peace.

judgecutioner

Wow! I'm getting old, I remember when grease was the hottest movie ticket at that time. Anyway... Rest peacefully Cha Cha.

a

DANG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE HER!!! even though she was annoying in the movie

SERGIO LOPEZ

"THEY CALL ME CHA CHA, CAUSE IM THE BEST DANCER AT ST BERNADETTES" (QUOTE FROM THE MOVIE). HEY, THIS IS WIERD, JEFF CONAWAY WHO PLAYED KINIKKI IN THE MOVIE HAD A DANCE SCENE WITH HER,(THE DANCE AT THE GYM) & NOW THEY BOTH PASS AWAY IN THE SAME YEAR.

SERGIO LOPEZ

"they call me cha cha, cause im the best dancer in st bernadettes" (quote frome the movie grease) you know its wierd, jeff conaway who played kinniky in the movie had a dance scene with her in the movie,(the dance at the gym) & now they both passed away the same year.