Cha Cha from 'Grease'

DEAD AT 63

8/4/2011 9:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Annette Charles Death
Annette Charles -- who played Cha Cha in the 1978 movie "Grease" -- died last night in her Los Angeles home ... her rep tells TMZ.

Her rep tells us, she passed away due to complications from cancer.

The family is planning to release a full statement within the next 24 hours. Annette was 63.

A family member tells us, "Annette had recently started having difficulty breathing ... and when she went to the doctor she learned that she had a cancerous tumor in one of her lungs."

We're told doctors only learned about her condition a few months ago.

Annette Charles

K

So sad. She played a mean girl, but she was awesome at what she did! At least we will always have her on dvd! She also has her name stapled firmly in film history, in such a great movie!!!
Thank you Annette!!!

morekare

I loved the movie Grease. May she rest in peace.

Christine Ramsey

so sorry to hear this. u never know what can be causing any type of cancer. Always have yourself checked, even if they or yourself think its just a cough. I have had cancer twice (breast) on both. caught it on time. Always visit a Dr. no matter what, your not a Dr.to diagnosis what might be going on in your body. My condolence to her family and God Bless her.

Stacya

Cha-Cha DiGregorio and Kenickie, together forever!!

laura

country girl - wi***** was you who died. How do you say that about a person who is deceased. I always knew you country girls were stupid, but I didn't know you had no compassion or common sense

Catty

I'm so very sorry to hear this. She looked damned good to be in her 60's! "ChaCha" was one of my faves from "Grease"; I would get chills (and I was only 6 or 7 yrs.) watching that dance scene...bada$$!!!

God Rest and Bless Your Soul!!!

Vince

thanks laura for your response to country girl...I totally agree with you

hattie

she will be missed i loved her in grease god bless her family

Rhonda

You didn't like her? BFD It was a movie...grow the **** up! RIP CHA CHA

mj

Who cares! A guy that makes machine parts in some factory also died. Did anyone post that? Only the media care about their own. If they hadn't of mentioned it I wouldn't have known. I DON'T CARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pangai

She was a class act. My condolences to her family.

Mr. Bate

Smoker?

Tess

Very sad. So weird when these live on and don't age on screen, then to hear of their passing and at what age. Was the lung cancer from smoking?

Tony

It was a perfectly done scene aimed at 20 somethings, teens and pre-teens. Life is forever prosperous. No need to worry about anything but pleasuring oneself. Hey, this is America. It can't happen here; so just screw anyone in town that you like: married or unmarried. It's there for you. All the girls go down and your manly dignity is eternal, no matter how much you give into your biological itches.
It is an iconic scene: It embodies the revolutionists destruction of American culture via Hollywood.

KC

Rest In Peace Annette. You will be missed.