'Barbershop' Actor

I Was Kicked Off Plane

Because I'm Black

9/1/2011 11:25 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0831_united_michael_colyar_getty_EXD

United Airlines is investigating a complaint made by an actor who appeared on the TV show "Barbershop" after he claimed he was kicked off of a flight simply because he was black.

Michael Colyar claims he was booted from his flight at Dulles International Airport in Virginia after he refused to allow a flight attendant to move his luggage from the overhead storage bin ... so a white passenger could stow her bag there instead.

Colyar claims the flight attendant gave him dirty looks when he denied her request -- so he inquired about filing a complaint. That's when Colyar says he was approached by security, who removed the actor from the flight.

Colyar blogged about the incident ... saying, "The flight attendant and her friend got just what they wanted, the n**ger off the plane. I'm sure they feel a great triumph in putting an uppity n**ger in his place."

He adds, "At the least I should be suing United Airlines for theft of services, public humiliation and defamation of character."

United Airlines tells TMZ ... "As a global airline with a diverse workforce, United has zero tolerance for any type of discrimination and we take every such matter seriously. We spoke to Mr. Colyar  Wednesday so that we can address his concerns, and committed to get back to him as we learn more from our coworkers and other customers onboard.”

nof

@ "Sources connected to the incident tell us multiple passengers have been interviewed about the situation -- and several people said Colyar was loud with the flight attendant and had become an unruly passenger."

_______________________________________________

-Love TMZ but this is one of my big issues:

"Sources connected to the incident..."

-This could be anyone, everyone or no one.

It's like saying absolutely nothing.

-This is used all too often here at TMZ, and I'm wondering if it's good journalism.

"Anonymous sources/alleged passengers doubt Colyar's story..."

-I'd like to see this practice END at TMZ.

- if you have legit sources be fair to Colyar and print who they are.

-I don't find this tactic fair, or honestly even believable.

-Colyar didn't and doesn't dispute he became unhappy, why "quote" supposed sources in order to diss/minimize Colyar?

=What if this happened to Eli Roth, would the same quotes and alleged/supposed sources be cited?

-It's almost like TMZ is taking a position on the story, i.e. "Personally, we don't believe Colyar."

-I believe that the flight attendant, not knowing who Colyar was/is - tried to unsuccessfully urinate on the comic actor - and that the resulting mess is on her.

-TMZ would take a flight attendant's word over someone that's commonly tamed huge crowds down at Venice Beach ?!?

Nof

ginny

no, you were kicked off because your an ass

Carl

I find his claim especially offensive because there really is still a lot of racism out there. But when Blacks have the knee jerk "its racism" response to someone offending them it makes others (such as a ton of posters right here) more prone to dismiss all racism claims even if they are real.

KVchicago

#1. Put the race card away
#2. Stop using the "N" word if you are so offended by it
#3. Had my luggage moved several times on flights to make room for more people boarding...how would the "racist" attendant know it was even Colyar's bag? A bag belonging to an African American?...did he have a bumper sticker on it that said " Belongs to a black man"???
#4. People like Michael Coylar are the ones that keep racism alive because they are just as ignorant as a racist

tantalum

hmmmm something tells me the REAL situation was this: he was stowing items that could have and should have been stowed under his seat up above. He was asked to put those items under his seat so they could fit another passengers carry on up top because that carry on was not appropriate to fit under the seat.

tantalum

Oh...and then he became an ass about it.

DEEZ NUTZ

Black man in the white house. Jus' sayin'.

Nic

How does he know race was the motivator? When I fly (every darned week!), if the flight is crowded, they will ask folks to remove overhead bin baggage that will fit under the seat so that larger bags can be stowed above. How do we know that wasn't the case here?

CelebJustice

Yeah, yeah, yeah... you didnt get your way so your tossing the race card. We get it. Dont you realize that youve over played that hand? Blah, blah, blah...

MichaelM

Serioiusly dude shut the **** up. I love how he puts words in the flight attendants mouths, forget the fact that he wasn't compliant. So they're supposed to just reward you for your obvious bad behavior? This is just a means to sue and make money and had nothing to do with race. More like ignorance.

CN

The POOR ME IM Black and being attacked is history..IM so sick of their poor me jive I could puke ln his face MC..How insane, stupid, Dumb. Pitiful, Pathetic..I cant believe certain black folks play this sorry OLD game..Makes me very sick and POff

TheUltraworld

They boot ******** off of planes, not black people.

mandy garcia

im not even white.. or being plain racist...
BUT IF YOU USE THE WILD RACIST card then how the hell would you think stereotypes will react to this huh?!! like youre the only black folk flying ova there SMDH get another good damn excuse to live by! racist my ahhh shoooot

LINDA

Gee I have the perfect solution for this problem, that is unless Barrack Obama is already involved. First the media w$%re that BO is, he could publicly humiliate the flight attendant, and all flight attendants. Then he could have her and Mr. Colyar over to 160...0 for a beer summit.

Suxtobehim

Seriously? I'm so sure he was asked to move his bag because he was black. Get a new card, the race card is worn out.