La Toya Jackson

Heavy D Was a Great Friend

to Me and Michael

11/8/2011 2:13 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1108-latoya-heavy-d-getty-EX
La Toya Jackson
tells TMZ she was shocked to learn about the death of her dear friend Heavy D -- especially because they just performed together last month.

"This is very shocking and a tragic loss," La Toya said ... adding, "I just performed with Heavy D at the Forever Michael tribute concert and he was a friend to Michael and a friend to me."

Heavy and La Toya rocked out to "Jam" during the October 8th show in Wales -- and Heavy seemed perfectly fine.

La Toya continued, "We have lost a great person and terrific performer, my prayers and condolences go out to his family and fans.

The celebrity tributes are pouring in -- TMZ just spoke with Chuck D ... who told us, "I am sitting here stunned and shocked about this ... I can’t believe it. [Heavy] was a hip hop god ... this is a sad tragedy to hear."

Chuck continued, "He will always be remembered and I'm thankful for him for what he's done for hip hop culture."

Martin Lawrence -- who appeared with Heavy D in "Life" -- tells TMZ, "Heavy D was a talented performer and one of the nicest and most genuine people I have ever met.  I was to happy to have known him, my prayers are with his family. God Bless him”

update_bar
Samuel L. Jackson, Nicki Minaj, Usher -- click here for more shocked reactions.

The Ugly Conductor

Damn!

HumanNature

R.I.P. HEAVY "D"!!!

Mike

Damn. Thats crazy he was in the Tower Heist movie that I saw this Sunday. RIP!

capa

damn this is fu*ked up !!!! R.I.P heavy D....

tmzreader

#RIPHEAVYD ✿✿ You will be more than missed. I grew up listening to you and was amazed to see you on the BET Awards. You were a great rapper, actor, dancer and overall entertainer ✿✿.~~~~ BLESS UP!!! ✿✿

Mel

R.I.P. Heavy we enjoyed and appreciated your gift.

janet

Michael, and later Janet in her own talent were the stand out talent. LaToya, how many times did she bad mouth her brother to make money. Yet, they were just so close. Not even close.

James R. - Los Angeles

Was his personal physician Dr Conrad Murray?

teri

la toya is a joke. plain and simple. a freaky looking joke. she was a nobody before michael died, and she is still a nobody after. she needs to quit using his death as a way to "get famous"

Steve

TMZ please don't make this bitch relevant.

licia

we luv u heavy u will truly b missed r prayers go out 2 ur family he was a legand n truly will b missed

S D M F

MICHAEL JACKSON WAS A CHILD MOLESTER!

TMZ - ThatThingYourMamaWarnedYouAbout

Shut up La Toya!

Kay-Kay

Heavy D...my brutha thank you for the great music you gave us. I partied my azz off on your jams back in the day! You will be missed....Twitaly-Twitaly-Dee!

Pamela

Can't this woman just SHUT UP. She doesn't need to comment about everything. TMZ, there's no reason to to quote her, she's notr even a z list celeb.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments