Brittany Murphy's Mom

The HOUSE Killed My Daughter

12/18/2011 3:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1216_sharon_brittany_murphy_getty_EX
Brittany Murphy's mother claims toxic mold found in Brittany's swanky Hollywood home killed her daughter AND her son-in-law ... and now she wants someone to pay.

Brittany died from pneumonia in 2009 ... and five months later, her husband also passed away from the same ailment.

Sharon Murphy claims the people who built the house are to blame for the mold that caused their condition -- but according to a new lawsuit, Sharon alleges she was duped by her lawyers into giving up her rights to sue the builders for wrongful death.

Long story short -- Sharon says her lawyers convinced her to accept a settlement offer for the construction defects back in January ... but they failed to explain she would never be able to go after the builders for their alleged role in Brittany's death.

Now, Sharon has hired Michael Marzban to sue her former lawyers for legal malpractice -- and wants them to pay her what she could have won in a wrongful death suit ... and other damages.

HAHAHA

Every nice home you see on here that tmz says all this great stuff about is a pice of sh#$! When builders build houses they use the cheapest of the cheap materials and then post a 9 millon dollar price tag on it. When you pay 9 mill for somthing in LA your paying for a 8.9 millon dollar lot and the rest is for the cardboard box that goes on top of it... When your HVAC guys tells you that you have mold in your duct system guys... fix it or DIE

digit0lchica04

I havent heard this report before. I always thought it was suspicious that they both her and her husband died without a clear reason. If this is true and there was toxic mold found in the house then that certainly makes more sense. Tragic if true.

Criss

That would be horrible if it's actually true.

E

(It's more horrible if it's *not* true)

In response to Ms Murphy, mère -- That's funny. The *house* failed to call 911 both when Murphy died and when her husband died -- and yet Ms. Thing was there. I'd say that someone had a vested interest in those two being dead. If she didn't have a hand in it, why didn't she take Brittany to the hospital when she became ill or call 911 when either of them was dying? I call complete shena****ns on this.

E

(It's more horrible if it's *not* true)

In response to Ms Murphy, mère -- That's funny. The "house" failed to call 911 both when Murphy died and when her husband died -- and yet Ms. Thing was there. I'd say that someone had a vested interest in those two being dead. If she didn't have a hand in it, why didn't she take Brittany to the hospital when she became ill or call 911 when either of them was dying? I call complete bunkum on this.

Keith

Yes, but what she fails to mention is that at least in Brit's case,and possibly Simon's, is that they self medicated with OTC drugs and never sought professional medical help. Based on that fact, I don't know how far she'll get with her litigation.

BB not bb

Wow this is reallly horrible. A lot of people have mold in their homes. I think you have to kill it off with a cleaner like vinegar and then try to keep it from growing back. You can usually see it or smell it in a house. I wonder why these wealthy people didn't attend to it? There are all kinds of rememdiation specialists for mold out there if you can't take care of it yourself. Someimes lowering the humidity and increasing the ventilation helps, as does sealing off points of entry for water such as a basement.

They even have special paint they use called Killzee which keeps mold from growing on the walls and ceilings. This is really a shame. You would think people living in luxury wouldn't have to suc***b to such mundane problems.

Kevin

Truth is stranger than fiction...

Kevin

Please block all these spammers TMZ.

Lisa

People .. think about it. If Toxic Mold were really to blame, why is Sharon still alive? She's way older, AND has a history of health problems. For instance cancer (from before living in this house). If anyone were to die first from living there, I'd say Sharon. Not two people, mere months part, who were so much younger and normally healthier than she.

Sharon and Clara (the dog) are still there, living and breathing the same air that supposedly killed 2 young people 5 months apart. I dont buy it.

She is feeling guilty and looking for someone/something to pass it on to. Failure to call 911/summon medical aid when Brittany and Simon were ill.... :'(

Kari

So..she wants to profit even more off of her daughter's death? And she was living with them, wasn't she? She didn't get sick. And lady--if you don't understand what "settlement" means, then you are pretty pathetic.

The Maharincess of Franistan

Now that Brittany is gone Mother needs another source of income. That's what this lawsuit is about. The lawyers WISELY told her to settle mainly because of Brittany's ABUSE OF PRESCRIPTION MEDICATION.

THAT is why they told the STUPID mother to settle! I hope they drag her through court for years so that she can use up the money that she does have on this suit.

kr

I'm really worried about this. I had black mold in the bedroom where my daughter will move into and cleaned and painted it but it went through to the bathroom on the other side so who knows what's inside the wall. And now since the heater kicked on me and my daughter can't stop coughing though the men here seem ok. The washing machine leaked and black mold grew through the wall to that bathroom. cleaned it but the wall where the central air machine is has mold in there and I don't think we can reach it to clean it :( Had daughter on antibiotics and inhalers and she still coughs 3 months later. (me too) coughing to the point of gagging... but oh well us poor folks can't fix our situations

ex lax

so the crack in an out the door had nothing to do to it?

ummm?!

After Simon's death, I thought I read an article about possible mold in the house. Sharon or somebody had said there was no mold problems in the house.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments