« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Vanessa Bryant's Ex-Step Dad

She's JUST LIKE Her Gold-Digging Mom

12/20/2011 6:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Vanessa and Kobe Bryant
Kobe Bryant
should have known his soon-to-be ex-wife would take him to the cleaners in their divorce ... because she learned the wallet-raiding playbook from her mother ... so says Vanessa's ex-step dad.

TMZ spoke with Stephen Laine -- an inventory manager for a food company who was married to Vanessa's mother from 1990 to 2003 ... and helped raise Vanessa from a child into adulthood.

Laine tells us, "Her mother taught her well to wait for the ten-year mark [before divorcing]."

He explains, "In California ... it's considered a long term marriage and then she gets paid for life or until she remarries ... just like her mother is doing to me."

Laine continues, "I have to pay her mom $1,800 every month and clearly they don’t need it."

Sources close to Vanessa tell us ... Kobe's soon-to-be ex-mother-in-law is currently living in one of the BBaller's mansions ... and we're told Vanessa is very good to her.

Laine gripes, "I have a six-year-old daughter and that money could be used toward her college fund or something ... you'd think she'd care ... but no, she's spiteful."

1216_kobe_vanessa_bryant_footer

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Robin

This makes me laugh she waited TEN YEARS TO MAKE HER MOVE? Sorry people gold diggers make it a matter of weeks or months. They don't put in a ten year sentence........LOL If I remeber correctly didn't he cheat many many times prior? YEP...This girl has to get something **** !!!!

JiLL1

Omg, the mother is living in a mansion but taking allimony from a guy with a small child who's money doesn't need. The alimony laws in this country are really F**ked up

AntiSocialForum.com

Typically I'm not a fan of women taking dudes to the cleaners as it's usually not justified. But in this case I'm ALL FOR Vanessa getting every penny she can from Kobe. She put up with his BS affairs/rapes for 10 years and had 2 kids with him. Kobe played her; disrespected and humiliated her by cheating on her with multiple women. Get every cent you can Vanessa!

JohnnyBoy

First of all this is Kobe's fault. For phuuuuk sake Black Mamba...use a little more discression. Then again "creative accounting" took his net worth from $400 mil to $150 mil...not shedding a tear for either one of them.

That being said, latin women, and I mean all latin women, are **** nuts. If they did not have vaginas or could bare children, what use do they really have in the free world?

Lilly Pad

WOW,.....hard to choose which one is worse,....the goldigger or the serial cheater. #1) Vanessa,....take your azz to the doctor and make sure he didn't give you one or more special presents,.....secondly, if he was stupid enough NOT to get a pre-nup,....take him to the cleaners. You two deserve each other.

WTF

The whole spousal support thing is sick. This chick will never have to work a job in her life and thats not right. If your not a couple anymore, she should be on her own. I will never marry.

kisroxer

Why is everyone ganging up on Vanessa? She is not the one who cheated - Kobe is. And she didn't force him into this relationship. Kobe CHOSE to marry Vanessa. Kobe CHOSE to have children with Vanessa. And who cares if she ONLY stood by him during the rape trial just to get a bigger payout later? The point is that she STOOD by him. And he STILL cheated on her again. Why isn't he getting any flack for this?

hotbitch

Any man who helped raise a child and then speaks ill of her doesn't get any respect from me. Whatever beef he had with her mom is one thing but to badmouth his own stepkid is trifling. He's just mad he's broke. When you're the inventory manager of a food company, I can't imagine that you run into too many gold diggers.

Baker

Wow I can't believe all the nasty comments about Vanessa. She was married for over 10 years to this cheating dog. That is a long time to put up with crap from Kobe. I don't know too many women who would stick it out. She deserves all the money and houses she can get for putting up with all of the crap he put her through. I don't know why these guys even get married when all they want to do is cheat. I feel sorry for the kids in these relationships. They are the ones that really get hurt.

Buckaroobonzai

so many of us have to deal with crap like this. The court system just doesn't care. The only way to fix this is for men to just stop marrying. Don't give a woman rights to your money and if she gives you an ultimatum to marry her... just move on. I promise, after 100 years of that, the laws will change and women will start behaving more respectful.

yessir

DAMN a little bitter are we lol

Meanie

Stupid fk should have his **** yanked off. Cheaters should just have their balls chopped off. Take him to the cleaners honey!

Joe

Seriously. So a guy can screw around behind his wife's back and dump her for another hot piece of tail leaving her with nothing and its ok? Or worse yet, leaves her just a few months shy of that 10 yr mark (yes I'm looking at you Tommyboy) and its ok?

Once the bastard cheated on her, he allowed the game to be played, and obviously she set the final checkmate move at 10 yrs. Was that gold digging? Heck no, that was smart. I'm sure he didn't realize it was up. If I was a woman married to someone with money (remember, they both were married during most of his playing years and didn't get monster contracts until after they were married) then yes, I'd expect to be treated nicely. its not ok for a cheating ass to get off scott free leaving the woman with nothing. You did the crime, you do the time.

and let's not forget that Kobe was 21 when he started dating her, and she was 17.

Kari

This stepfather sounds like the spiteful one. What a pathetic loser.

RealityBites

These idiots get what they deserve, they marry gold diggers then whine when they get taken, get an iron clad prenup so when you cheat you don't lose it all (and gold diggers they will cheat that's what they do)