M.I.A.

She'll Be Left Holding the Bag

If NBC Gets Fined

2/6/2012 12:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0206_mia_finger_EX_02
M.I.A. will end up paying any fines imposed on NBC as a result of her finger wag during the Super Bowl halftime show ... sources with direct knowledge tell TMZ.

Our sources say ... the NFL has indemnified NBC ... because the NFL is responsible for the halftime content.

But the NFL was smart, given the history of performers who wanted to do something shocking to get attention during the biggest TV event of the year. So we're told ... M.I.A. signed a contract with the NFL for the halftime performance, and in that contract M.I.A. agreed to indemnify the NFL for any money it might be forced to pay if the FCC comes down on the Peacock Network.

Remember, CBS was hit with a $550,000 FCC fine after Janet Jackson's famous wardrobe malfunction, but that fine was thrown out by a federal appeals court.

Sources tell us ... aside from the fact that the NFL doesn't want to pay a huge fine, the organization wants to send a message to performers -- don't you dare screw with us.

We don't know if the NFL got a similar indemnity clause from Madonna.

Jim in Cali

Good. Hope her career fades too

Paul B.

I'm sure M.I.A. doesn't know what "indemnify" means.

[a] proxy

Wow, a lot of haters in room. You act like she killed your first born or something. Release that hate in your heart and get a life.

Phil

I may be wrong, but didnt the courts rule the FCC cant impose indecency rules like 6 months ago? If so, they cant get fined.

karen

I don't care for this person, but here are the facts:

M.I.A. is not black...she is Indian and Sri Lankan.

She also married into one of the richest families on the planet. They owned Seagram's, and currently, their net worth is $2.8 billion.

So, a $500,000 fine is chump change.

Phil

Barbarascy

It's not really a big deal if you ask me. Much ado about nothing. BUT if anybody should be held accountable for their actions its MIA. She made the decision to do it so she should bear the brunt of the punishment. If she knew that she had signed the contract and she knew what she was signing then there really is no excuse for not taking responsibility. That is a lot of money to pay for a simple finger gesture. The money she may have to pay could have gone to some of those causes she cares so much about. Hope it was worth it.

Divadid

She should pay..whatever you get a chance to make a major statement and that's what you choose! She should have stayed home!

Julie

Don't know who this person is. Is she a Kardashian?

Mumra the Ever Living

That's one ugly guy dressed up like King Tut.

Divadid

Oh Heck No...America is not taking this one..Send her back to London!

Mumra the Ever Living

Rapper MIA husband

PT

M.I.A = Moronic Idiotic *******

Seldombinlaid

Fine the heck out of her. Who is she anyway? Maybe that's the deal. No class individual, And that's putting it nicely.

Sincerity

These "so-called" performers are becoming more "ridiculous" by the day. I guess M.I.A didn't read the "FINE PRINT" and now she may have to pay legal fees plus a fine, if she decides to dispute the FCC's decision. I saw a Frank Sinatra concert on PBS a couple of weeks ago and I never thought I would develop an appreciation for performers from my grandparent's era. Ole Blue Eyes with his tuxedo and 20 plus piece orchestra can still put many of these "tasteless" performers to shame and HE'S DEAD!!! No wonder singers like Harry Connick, Jr. and Michael Buble have done very well following in Mr. Sinatra's footsteps. Many people just want a "well done" vocal performance and not much more. Janet Jackson's stray "titty" didn't do much to increase her popularity. There's a "TIME AND PLACE" for everything. Many people aren't into "rap and/or hip hop" music and the "exaggerated" bravado of some of these performers makes it tough for the "TRUE ARTISTS" in these genres to be taken seriously.