Russell Brand to Katy Perry:

I Don't Want Your Money

2/8/2012 7:55 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Katy Perry and Russell Brand
Russell Brand
is entitled to approximately $20 million of Katy Perry's fortune ... but TMZ has learned he will not take a single penny of it.

Russell's lawyer filed final divorce papers Tuesday ... although the judge will make the divorce official on June 30, because there's a 6 month waiting period.

Informed sources tell TMZ ... Russell and Katy did NOT have a prenup. As a result, everything they earned during their 14-month marriage is community property -- which means they're each entitled to 50% of the pot.

Katy made $44 million between May, 2010 and May, 2011 -- according to Forbes. The couple married in October, 2010, so Russell could have scored a fortune if he exercised his community property rights.

But here's the deal. As one source put it, "This divorce is as amicable as it gets, and Russell was a mensch (Yiddish for a good person)." He doesn't want Katy's money. He's happy to walk away with the money he earned -- which is far less than what Katy raked in.

So we gotta ask ...

AnastasiaBeaverhausen

Russell is a fine example of a real man. I'm impressed.

JugEars McKenyan Sr..

tell you what he could use some cabbage for and that's a freaking haircut. This guy emanates greasy burnout. His hair's got more grease than my engine block's got caked on it. If I saw him walking by my house I wouldn't put my weapon down until he was out of sight, he looks so grunged out.

Rhubino

As whacky as they may have seemed for those of us in the "don't know", I always felt that they respected each other in a way that this comes as no surprise.

3Storms

He's an ass and a poor crappy comedian, but I gotta give him respect points for this one.
And I hope Katy Perry thinks the drugs and partying was worth it.

Pebblebeach

Russell is a fool...he better go get that woman's money he is entitled to...

Annie

<3 Russell! Very classy when it counts!

shawn45

I'm shocked! That was the biggest paycheck he would ever come across in his life. It's not like if he were to take the money she wouldn't earn it back. It was a noble move but a stupid one. She got lucky that she could keep her money. Hopefully this will be a lesson learned "get a prenup".

TheWarAgainstCommonSense

Interesting comments. A lot of low level thinking and selfish individuals on here though. Brand obviously did the right thing. With that said, it's a lot easier to do the right thing when you are both millionaires, haven't been married long and no kids are involved. The end of a relationship does not have to mean the start of a world war or a me against you in any situation though. For those saying a woman would never do the same, if I remember correctly the wrestler the Rock and his wife split pretty amicably and he was pulling in way more than her.

The thing I don't get is why does it have to be," all this money is mine?" Some women marry for money as do some men, these celebrity dealings are just more public. By the same token some rich men/ women marry people because they get someone/ become pregnant, good in bed, trophy husband/wife, etc. So they are setting themselves up in the beginning. In some cases, one spouse does quit their job and takes all the home responsibilities. Not saying they have to, but when you live that comfortably, who would you rather be taking care of your kids and managing the daily stuff that you are probably too busy to take care of? Some nanny or babysitter or daycare that you think you can trust or significant other that you supposedly put enough faith into to marry? But again, there are probably plenty of you that spend absolutely no time at home. Too busy working or watching tv to see or know what your kids are up to and maybe your way of saying I love you is handing out a gifts and saying leave me alone. Become the spouse of an athlete or actress or actor or musician and see what its like to do everything 90% of the time while they are off months at a time. It could cause stress. So imagine when two people with busy schedules, kids, responsibilities get together. Just something to think about...

UPYOURS

Decent guy.

Cindy

I'd like to see Russell do some serious stuff. I could see him in the lead of a romantic comedy as long as he wasn't doing all that crazy stuff like the Borat guy. Only makes them appealing to teenagers that way. But Russell is a darn good looking man when he is acting human....which we don't get to see much. I don't care for the nonsensical "craziness" of his "characters". He can certainly bring in his own money if he makes some attempts at adult acting and humor.

Zach Swan

Now, if only a few of those gold digging whoores that marry athletes and musicians would follow Russel's example, the world would be a better place.

cat626

Wow, that's refreshing. Take what was yours and make your own money. Seems like a Novel idea these days.

O_o

she's a fool for letting him go!

justsaying

See women, there still are real men left on this planet.

lisa

How would Forbes know how much she made?