Russell Brand to Katy Perry:

I Don't Want Your Money

2/8/2012 7:55 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Katy Perry and Russell Brand
Russell Brand
is entitled to approximately $20 million of Katy Perry's fortune ... but TMZ has learned he will not take a single penny of it.

Russell's lawyer filed final divorce papers Tuesday ... although the judge will make the divorce official on June 30, because there's a 6 month waiting period.

Informed sources tell TMZ ... Russell and Katy did NOT have a prenup. As a result, everything they earned during their 14-month marriage is community property -- which means they're each entitled to 50% of the pot.

Katy made $44 million between May, 2010 and May, 2011 -- according to Forbes. The couple married in October, 2010, so Russell could have scored a fortune if he exercised his community property rights.

But here's the deal. As one source put it, "This divorce is as amicable as it gets, and Russell was a mensch (Yiddish for a good person)." He doesn't want Katy's money. He's happy to walk away with the money he earned -- which is far less than what Katy raked in.

So we gotta ask ...

Kaffee

Who knew Russell was such a good guy--like him a little more this morning.

Sam

If my husband cheated on me you best believe I'll be walking away with 50% of what he has. Assuming that he makes more than I do - I will never sign a pre-nup.

dimples

I'm not surprised to read this. I have always had a lot of respect for Russell brand. I thought he'd do the right thing in this situation.

ddd

Mensch is German for "human" in this context indeed meaning "good person". The first letter is written in capital since its a noun. Get ur ish together tmz

Muppet

She is lucky she married someone so honourable. She could've been taken a huge amount of money! I hope she doesn't try this again though. I don't think she'll be so lucky the second time around. This speaks volumes about Russell. I believe he really loves Katy and not her money and is showing her the honesty of his love. How sad.

NotYou

Based on what Meow said men just need a maid, and to adopt a kid. Keep it simple! LOL

pat

One important reason for this, I think, is that there are no kids. This makes it easier to just walk away and try to maintain a friendship. I don't think he would be able to face her or certain friends if he took the money.

But I will give it to him. A classy move.

As for women not doing this; a non-celebrity (like an athlete's wife) or something like that, would take the money and run. They would do whatever it would take to make a baby (insurance) Whereas a female celebrity could afford to walk away.

victory

How refreshing! Your a good man, Russell.

dd

Good job maybe Humphries can learn something from you.

martinsheenfan

Can't stand this guy but if this turns out to be true. I'll have a whole new opinion of him.

brad

Way to go Russell. You're a "proper English gentleman" for doing this ... like one of those pre-World War I English aristocrats on that hit TV series on PBS that Katy likes called "Downton Abbey". They were only married a year and there are no kids involved so this divorce should be somewhat amicable.

Russell probably has about $20+ million in the bank so he's hardly going to be destitute. He has a few movies about to be released and I hear he's about to be a few more big movies. Russell will have plenty of cash to "live like a rock star". In one of the movies he's in this year he really does play a 1980s rock star ... "Rock of Ages" with Tom Cruise.

By the way, if Russell made 2 or 3 times more money than Katy in 2011, I wouldn't want Katy to get any of Russell's money either. Katy is plenty rich now and she's probably going to be filthy rich in the future.

Katy is such a big star now after her first two multi-platinum albums she could rake in $200+ million in the next 10 years. Katy might be living like royalty like Madonna does in England if she keeps putting out monster hit albums like "Teenage Dream". Teenage Dream had SIX #1 hits on it. That's as good as any one of Michael Jackson's albums.

I like her latest #1 hit "The One That Got Away" the best. The video that goes with it is really good too. It shows that Katy can make slower, more serious kinds of hit songs too. I know I'm looking forward to Katy's 3rd album. I bet it's going to be great. Katy and the rest of her band and producers know what they're doing. I hope Katy works really hard on it and keeps those #1 hit songs coming.

Sonja

I always liked Russel. Even when everyone on TMZ was boo hooing poor Katy and what a loser this guy was, that he was an ex-druggie and sex addict. I guess now we know who the decent person is and thankfully Russel got away from this fake little loser who has to tell story after story to get attention. I really do not get what people see in her at all.

St James III

Good Dude. Nice to at least see greed not rear it's ugly head in a divorce.

Grace

Wow, she dodged a bullet. Russell is a certifiable nut job and she should be glad she is getting off so easy.

Thurston Howell III

I'll believe it when I see it. Most people would see 20 million, take the money and run. If this is true, then Russell is a gentleman. If he turns around and rips this girl off for 20 million, then he's a real POS. No way in hellz does he deserve that kind of money from her after only one year of marriage.

I hope Katie learns a lesson from this and insists on a prenup the next time she gets married. Marriage, especially in the entertainment world, is hardly ever "till death do us part". If Russell does leave without fleecing her, she dodged a bullet and she should be grateful. If Katie had married a Kevin Ferderline, or a Casper Smart, she'd be up a shiat creek.